[OT] Olympic Medals

Guest Sloth

Ok, right now we're up 101 to 85. China is beating us 46 to 30 in the gold medal count, but that number may change. I'm not talking about the upcoming events. The IOC has issued an investigation on one of China's gymnast. In the Olympics you're supposed to be 16, but some info came up saying that a member is only 13 or 14. If she is under 16, team USA wins the Gold medal in the team event and the uneven bars. The gold medal count would switch to 44 to 32. Not going to catch them, but to be close in the gold medals and to dominate the overall count, in my opinion, declares the U.S. as the unofficial champions of the 2008 summer games.

Gold is the only one that matters. China has this Olympics wrapped up. Overall medal count is just a feel good stat. It's like winning the Presidents Trophy but losing in the ECFs. :unsure:

We'll see after we gain a few and China loses 3 or 4 for that 14 year old gymnast.

Gold is the only one that matters. China has this Olympics wrapped up. Overall medal count is just a feel good stat. It's like winning the Presidents Trophy but losing in the ECFs. :unsure:

While I agree that gold is most important, we lead them in top-two finishes (gold + silver) and are way ahead in top-three finishes (total medals.) I'll give them the edge, but not a huge one. For example, if we had 46 golds to their 47, but 102 medals to their 89, then who would be the winner? How about 45 golds and same totals? 44? Right now, the gold gap is large enough that I give them the edge, but I don't think that we need to finish ahead in golds to say that we had the better Olympics.

The real gold/silver gap is coming from the ladies. We have nearly the same gold+silver count for the women, but trail by 14 golds (13 to their 27.) For the men, the gold+silver is again very close, but we only trail by 3 golds (17 to their 20.) We actually lead the mixed/open gold count 1-0.

No matter what happens, though, China and the US are clearly in a different league than the rest of the world. Russia, Great Britain, Australia and Germany are the second tier; Korea, Japan and the rest of Europe are a third tier. I wonder if we'll ever see a EU team? A quick count shows them dominating with 77 golds, 86 silvers and 85 bronzes for 248 total medals!

Another thing that is not condsidered in that count is for some reason some team competitions are considered multiple medals while other team competitions are considered 1 medal.

For example:

Women's Team Gymnastics = 6 Medals (just for the team event, not the individuals)

Women's Soccer Team = 1 Medal

Another thing that is not condsidered in that count is for some reason some team competitions are considered multiple medals while other team competitions are considered 1 medal.

For example:

Women's Team Gymnastics = 6 Medals (just for the team event, not the individuals)

So if that girl is >edit <16 yrs old China loses 6 plus gold medals. wow.

For example:

I don't believe that is correct. Look here and click on any country to see the events where the medals were won. We got silver medals in 36 different events, one of which was the Women's Team Gymnasitcs, and are listed at exactly 36 silvers. In other words, that team medal was counted as one silver, not six. Likewise, the Chinese received gold medals in 47 distinct event, including the Women's Team Gymnasitcs, and are listed at exactly 47 golds.

Unless you are saying that we should be counting it as six and this is not ...

I don't believe that is correct. Look here and click on any country to see the events where the medals were won. We got silver medals in 36 different events, one of which was the Women's Team Gymnasitcs, and are listed at exactly 36 silvers. In other words, that team medal was counted as one silver, not six.

Since the IOC does not recogize team medal counts, I doubt that there are any rules. However, I am quite sure that all team golds are considered as one gold by anyone keeping track. Also, I question whether anyone would list medal standings by golds won if it was the USA who led in golds but China led in overall medals.

Now if you really want to get technical, each sport requires a completely different kind of training/work. Some events are finished in a couple days (a gymnastics event) while others are over a much longer period (most of the team sports baseketball,baseball, etc...). Why should a gold in trampoline carry as much weight as a gold in the decathalon? What about the 100M dash vs. soccer?

The total medal count doesn't mean all that much. Each country is dominating in completely different kinds of events.

I don't believe that is correct. Look here and click on any country to see the events where the medals were won. We got silver medals in 36 different events, one of which was the Women's Team Gymnasitcs, and are listed at exactly 36 silvers. In other words, that team medal was counted as one silver, not six. Likewise, the Chinese received gold medals in 47 distinct event, including the Women's Team Gymnasitcs, and are listed at exactly 47 golds.

Unless you are saying that we should be counting it as six and this is not ...

You're right.

If this girl is 14, which NO WAY she is with prove, China will lose 2 golds. 1 team and 1 individual.

But, with China being such a sketchy country and them putting so much money into these games, any kind of prove of her being 14 is gone. She'll never be 14 or 15 ever again.

Golds is what the world counts. Only US they consider somewhat of a victory for total medals. The reason? They have much more athletes in the games and it's almost impossible to knock them off #1 total. LOL

You're right.

If this girl is 14, which NO WAY she is with prove, China will lose 2 golds. 1 team and 1 individual.

But, with China being such a sketchy country and them putting so much money into these games, any kind of prove of her being 14 is gone. She'll never be 14 or 15 ever again.

Golds is what the world counts. Only US they consider somewhat of a victory for total medals. The reason? They have much more athletes in the games and it's almost impossible to knock them off #1 total. LOL

You do have to a qualifying time, in track and other sports, for the games. It doesn't matter if you're number one in your country. If your time doesn't meet the qualifications, you're not in. It's impressive the US has so many athletes that are qualified to compete in the games. A lot of people tend to forget about that.

You're right.

China has more athletes than America (roughly 40). Also, Canada has proven that number of athletes doesn't qualify for success. 331 athletes, 3 golds.

China has more athletes than America (roughly 40). Also, Canada has proven that number of athletes doesn't qualify for success. 331 athletes, 3 golds.

First time China has more athletes because they put in billions of dollars into training their kids for these games.

Canada is a winter sport country.

Compare US to almost anyone else.

First time China has more athletes because they put in billions of dollars into training their kids for these games.

There's at least 5 countrys that have more then half the athletes the USA has without anywhere near 50% of the success. Do have an excuse for all those countries also. Quit trying so hard to diminish the success of the United States.

What's interesting is the fact the US beat Canada in the last Winter Olympics in gold medal count and total medal count.

Gold: US: 9 Canada: 7

Medal Count: US: 25 Canada: 24

US finished 2nd in gold and Canada finished in a tie for 5th place in gold medals.

US finished 2nd in medal count and Canada finished 3rd in medal count.

According to the numbers, the US is the best Olympic nation when combining the summer and winter Olympic games.

Canada is the best Hockey nation. As the US is the best Basketball nation. Both Canada and the US have countries that can contend w/ them in their dominating sport.

If the gold is all that matters, tell that to the guy that dove at the finish line yesterday to get a bronze and give the US all 3 medals (I forget which race it was).

When it comes to the Olympics, I think getting 2nd or 3rd is the only time a person can celebrate losing. Getting an Olympic medal is very special. Think, an event you train for four years is something you get one chance at. Something an immeasureable amount of athletes have the same goal as you. To get a medal is a victory. A friend of mine was a part of a bronze medal winnning relay team and it is something he cherishes.

If the gold is all that matters, tell that to the guy that dove at the finish line yesterday to get a bronze and give the US all 3 medals (I forget which race it was).

It was probably the 400. We've swept the 400 in the last 2 Olympics. Too bad weren't not doing as well in the shorter sprints and relays. Prior to this Olympics, the sprints were ours.

For what it's worth, at this time if you award 3 points for a gold, 2 for silver, 1 for bronze, the US and China are exactly tied.

China:

47G = 141 pts

17S = 34 pts

25B = 25 pts

Total: 200 pts

USA:

31G = 93 pts

36S = 72 pts

35B = 35 pts

For what it's worth, at this time if you award 3 points for a gold, 2 for silver, 1 for bronze, the US and China are exactly tied.

China:

47G = 141 pts

17S = 34 pts

25B = 25 pts

USA:

31G = 93 pts

36S = 72 pts

35B = 35 pts

I did the same scoring system earlier this week. We were beating them by 20 points or so. Damnn non-sport events! I don't know what events are left, but we should get the gold medal in basketball. US plays Spain on Sunday and they SPANKED them by 37 points last time. Of course, there's always the chance of a "miracle." That'd be for Spain.

China:

47G = 141 pts

17S = 34 pts

25B = 25 pts

USA:

31G = 93 pts

36S = 72 pts

35B = 35 pts

Tie breaker should be World Records.

Archived