A little history on your new farm team

wildcat48

Here's the Top-10 moments in Portland Pirates history.

10.) Ebright saves hockey in Portland

Tom Ebright saved hockey in Portland after many thought it had died with the lost of the Mariners. He earns a spot in the Top-10 moments for his contributions to the City of Portland and hockey fans all across Maine.

9.) Pirates look within to eliminate Bruins

The Portland Pirates need more than a scoring touch to beat the Providence Bruins. Down 0-2 in the series, the Pirates dug down to their inner core, prevailing in one of the most exciting series match-ups of all time.

8.) Pirates? Brochu wows the crowd in Binghamton

Martin Brochu was a special goaltender, making his mark on Portland Pirates history and establishing himself as one of the all-time great AHL goaltenders.

Regardless, thanks for that. I don't know squat about Portland hockey.

Me too... In fact, I just learned it was Portland, Maine. I assumed being the Anaheim farm it was Portland, Oregon.

Regardless, thanks for that. I don't know squat about Portland hockey.

The Amerks beat them in 1996 Calder Cup final. Dixon Ward, Brian Holzinger, Wayne Primeau, Criag Charron, Steve Shields vs. guys Barry Trotz (coach), Andrew Burnette, Richard Zednik, Ron Tugnutt. Ward had like 35pt in like 19 playoff games. Or something crazy like that.

Dean Melanson Umburgered some dude in game 7, i wanna guess Burnette, but i really don't know.

Amerks won in 7.

The Amerks beat them in 1996 Calder Cup final. Dixon Ward, Brian Holzinger, Wayne Primeau, Criag Charron, Steve Shields vs. guys Barry Trotz (coach), Andrew Burnette, Richard Zednik, Ron Tugnutt. Ward had like 35pt in like 19 playoff games. Or something crazy like that.

Dean Melanson Umburgered some dude in game 7, i wanna guess Burnette, but i really don't know.

Amerks won in 7.

Richard Zednik is the one that got hit. Turned the tide of the game as the Amerks were being outplayed and losing 1-0 at the time. Amerks never looked back after that hit.

haha yeah. I was a young kid. Front row seats on the stage!

Yep I was 10 at the time. In old section 15 behind the net where the Amerks shoot twice. Still the loudest I've ever heard a hockey arena. And that includes several HSBC playoff OT goals.

Yep I was 10 at the time. In old section 15 behind the net where the Amerks shoot twice. Still the loudest I've ever heard a hockey arena. And that includes several HSBC playoff OT goals.

It was a crazy game. I was in 6th grade, my dad worked over nights back then, and after he got out of work at 7am, he went stright to the war memorial to buy tickets for Game 7. He hoped to buy 4 (for my family) but had to stand on the bridge because line was so huge. When it was announced it was sold out, he walked to the car at like 10am, and thats when a scalper offered him 2 tickets for like $60. He bought them. Me and my brother, he was in 8th grade, took the RTS bus to and from the game. LOL My mom was a wreck she was so scared.

But, let's not get carried away, HSBC arena gets much louder then that game. It was loud though, great time for sure.

It was a crazy game. I was in 6th grade, my dad worked over nights back then, and after he got out of work at 7am, he went stright to the war memorial to buy tickets for Game 7. He hoped to buy 4 (for my family) but had to stand on the bridge because line was so huge. When it was announced it was sold out, he walked to the car at like 10am, and thats when a scalper offered him 2 tickets for like $60. He bought them. Me and my brother, he was in 8th grade, took the RTS bus to and from the game. LOL My mom was a wreck she was so scared.

But, let's not get carried away, HSBC arena gets much louder then that game. It was loud though, great time for sure.

Yeah my dad was in line on the bridge by the library at 5 or 6 AM. We got 6 tickets in a row somehow.

As for the loudness, more people does not equate to louder. This was pre-renovation and the Amerks crammed people in every possible area they could without breaking the fire code. HSBC is loud, no doubt, but it has that high roof and a lot of noise gets lost. It was a long time ago, but that was louder than HSBC, at least in my opinion.

Here's the Top-10 moments in Portland Pirates history....

Hey--can't help but notice that you joined our board in May and that most of your posts have to do with Portland. Are you from up there and/or a dedicated Portland fan? Regardless, welcome and thanks for all the info on the new AHL squad.

Hey--can't help but notice that you joined our board in May and that most of your posts have to do with Portland. Are you from up there and/or a dedicated Portland fan? Regardless, welcome and thanks for all the info on the new AHL squad.

Thanks,

Yes, I live in Portland and work as a beat writer for the team. I write for a local paper -- not the Portland Press Herald-- and write for the online site @ MVN.com. This is my fourth year covering the team and it will be interesting see how the fan base react to Buffalo. I suspect it will be positive because there are quite a few Sabres fans in Portland.

Definitely appreciate the local perspective on our new farm team. You clearly have a passion for the team, which should be contagious.

So ... do we get to see #7 - #1? ;)

I'm originally from Canada so I'm passionate when it comes to hockey and I can't complain because this pays the bills... It's really amazing to see how the local fanbase has responded to the Sabres since the announcement, it's been pretty cool.

As for the rest of the top-10 moments..... You'll have to stay tuned because this is a summer long project, which will carry to the start of the season. #7 will be up very shortly so like I said....STAY TUNED!!!! :thumbsup:

How many parent clubs has Portland now had? It's a big change for Sabres fans who pretty much have grew up with only having to know about the Amerks.

Going back to 1977, Portland have had six NHL teams as parent clubs.

Maine Mariners were affiliates with Philadelphia, New Jersey and Boston before they relocated to Providence. Portland Pirates came in a year later and were the affiliate of the Washington Capitals, Anaheim Ducks and now Buffalo Sabres.

• 1 month later...
Thanks,

Yes, I live in Portland and work as a beat writer for the team. I write for a local paper -- not the Portland Press Herald-- and write for the online site @ MVN.com. This is my fourth year covering the team and it will be interesting see how the fan base react to Buffalo. I suspect it will be positive because there are quite a few Sabres fans in Portland.

Awesome, some reliable info from the farm.

Because of the conference difference and limited traveling schedulesthe AHL adopted, it's been several years since the Amerks came to my area to play the Norfolk Admirals (FYI - it's pronounced NOR-fik, not NOR-foke). I'm pretty excited to check them out Halloween weekend. I've been kicking around the idea of getting a Pirates sweater from their online store to wear to the game but have been reluctant to pull the trigger.

Do you know if they plan on rolling out new colors (or a new logo)? Or should I be safe picking up one of the red and black sweaters?

Thanks. And welcome to the Sabres family!

• 2 weeks later...

10.) Ebright saves hockey in Portland

Tom Ebright saved hockey in Portland after many thought it had died with the lost of the Mariners. He earns a spot in the Top-10 moments for his contributions to the City of Portland and hockey fans all across Maine.

9.) Pirates look within to eliminate Bruins

The Portland Pirates need more than a scoring touch to beat the Providence Bruins. Down 0-2 in the series, the Pirates dug down to their inner core, prevailing in one of the most exciting series match-ups of all time.

8.) Pirates� Brochu wows the crowd in Binghamton

Martin Brochu was a special goaltender, making his mark on Portland Pirates history and establishing himself as one of the all-time great AHL goaltenders.

7.) Pirates set a franchise record for the quickest two goals in a period

During the 1996-1997 season, the Portland Pirates faced a number of challenges, but they stared down adversity all season long, in the process setting the franchise record for the quickest-two goals in franchise history.

6.) Pirates put up a dozen on the Bruins

It was a game in which the Pirates were in a dogfight for the Northern Division. Only five points behind the Adirondack Red Wings, Portland put the pedal down trying to catch the divison leader. Too bad� the Bruins were in the way.

5.) Boback rolls a seven in Albany

The Pirates first season in Portland was very magical for many reasons, but Mike Boback added more script to the Pirates lore with an amazing game in Albany as Portland eliminated the River Rats from the playoffs.

4.)Pirates and Bears engage in epic battle

Sometimes the villain can also turn out to be hero and vice versa. During the 2006 Eastern Conference Finals, some believed that Shane O’Brien could have been the villain, but if it wasn’t for his play in Game 3 of the Eastern Conference Finals against the Hershey Bears ??“ a team already up 2-0 in the series ??“ the Pirates might have been looking at a much shorter series than what turned out to be an epic seven game battle.

3.) Hulst and Kolzig put Pirates in the driver’s seat

Behind an amazing 49-save performance from Pirates’ goaltender Olaf Kolzig, Kent Hulst scored 81 seconds into the second overtime to give the Pirates a 2-1 win, putting a stranglehold on the best-of-seven Calder Cup Finals, 3-1, against the Moncton Hawks.

2.) Pirates set North American record

It?s hard to believe that 15 years ago, the Portland Pirates were sitting atop the sports world.

In a time when ESPN2 was in its infancy and the internet was beginning to boom, the Portland Pirates became a daily topic of news on SportsCenter and water cooler talk across North America.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived