Tim Scmitt: The Anti-Bucky

K-9

This is Tim's "research" that shows the Sabres aren't cheap?!

---

Of the four teams with 19 players signed, the Sabres have the highest payroll. Their current cap hit is just over $46 million, and three teams with more players under contract have lower payrolls. Buffalo has plenty of wiggle room ? about $10 million right now ? but hardly so much that it?s embarrassing.

---

BM's kid could punch through that with one tiny fist of fury.

Timmah and Buckah are one and the same: rabble rousers. And we get roused so easily, don't we?

Nice to read an opinion from someone without an obvious axe to grind. An opinion better informed by a little research into the reality of the numbers.

Bucky writes like a fan instead of an informed journalist. Yes, I know it's op-ed but I'd find him more credible if he didn't continually sound like a jilted prom date. Take, for instance, his jab at the FO for not pursuing Orpik. Orpik was so much in demand on the free market that he ends up signing that blockbuster deal with the only team that SERIOUSLY pursued him; the SAME team he played for last year. But our FO is wrong while everyone else that DIDN'T pursue Orpik gets a pass?

Or how about his constant theme of how players don't want to play for Buffalo and yet Briere and Dumont assure Lalime that it's a fine place to play? Just like the fans that can't forgive the FO for their fu*kups, Bucky just can't let it go either. And that gets in the way of everything he spews in his opinion pieces.

GO SABRES!!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'll write in short sentences...

Bucky is a columnist. Columnists write OPINIONS. Some columnists are more positive than negative. Some columnists are more negative than positive.

What is so hard to understand about this?

If you don't like Bucky's position regarding the Sabres, don't read his columns.

;)

That would be very easy to do if it weren't for the fact that the majority of message board fans attach their opinions to his and echo them ad nauseum.

This is Tim's "research" that shows the Sabres aren't cheap?!

---

Of the four teams with 19 players signed, the Sabres have the highest payroll. Their current cap hit is just over $46 million, and three teams with more players under contract have lower payrolls. Buffalo has plenty of wiggle room ? about $10 million right now ? but hardly so much that it?s embarrassing.

---

BM's kid could punch through that with one tiny fist of fury.

Timmah and Buckah are one and the same: rabble rousers. And we get roused so easily, don't we?

Except that Timmy is accepted because he isn't negative, Bucky is a hack cause he doesn't praise the FO

Except that Timmy is accepted because he isn't negative, Bucky is a hack cause he doesn't praise the FO

Actually, Scmitt was a bit negative earlier in the offseason with the Gerbe thing I mentioned a few posts back. Basically he called them cheap, but now he's saying the opposite. I'll admit to never reading anything from the guy other than what is linked on this board, but that raises a big red flag in my mind.

Who said that? You have an annoying habit of putting words in people's mouths and then ignoring any clarification one might offer so that you'd have a better understanding of one's meaning.

Bucky's not a hack because he doesn't praise the FO. Bucky's a hack because he's let the FOs disdain for him cloud his reporting.

Schmitt may be a hack as well. I haven't read enough of him to form an opinion. Apparently he's been lazy on a few issues according to those who've read more of his columns. So be it.

But in this ONE column at least, he was the anti-Bucky. And I found it refreshing.

Now, go grab that 8x10 glossy of Bucky, lower the lights, and slow dance to 'Nobody Does It Better."

GO SABRES!!!

Who said that? You have an annoying habit of putting words in people's mouths and then ignoring any clarification one might offer so that you'd have a better understanding of one's meaning.

Bucky's not a hack because he doesn't praise the FO. Bucky's a hack because he's let the FOs disdain for him cloud his reporting.

Schmitt may be a hack as well. I haven't read enough of him to form an opinion. Apparently he's been lazy on a few issues according to those who've read more of his columns. So be it.

But in this ONE column at least, he was the anti-Bucky. And I found it refreshing.

Now, go grab that 8x10 glossy of Bucky, lower the lights, and slow dance to 'Nobody Does It Better."

GO SABRES!!!

Nothing punctuates a retort quite like a Carly Simon reference. :lol:

GO SABRES!!!

Why? Is that what you do with your Timmy Scmitt articles? Or is that you Darcy Life size cut out?

I have never read anything by Bucky except for maybe a couple of articles that were posted here.

But what I do know is that everyone here is always complaining about what Bucky rights because he is always down on and complaining about the FO. They assume that because he is always negative about whatever they do that he has a personal vendetta against them and is trying to push some made up view of them to the public.

You see one article that is written by someone else and you come running here to tell us about it and how he is the "anti-bucky". Good for it

Oh, and you haven't read wnough of him to form an opinion on him yet in the title of this thread you call him the anti-bucky

Oh, and you haven't read wnough of him to form an opinion on him yet in the title of this thread you call him the anti-bucky

And apparently others haven't either, since we were getting on Schmitt pretty good a couple times last year for things he wrote.

And apparently others haven't either, since we were getting on Schmitt pretty good a couple times last year for things he wrote.

Indeed. Whatever one thinks about specific columns or opinions, Bucky is a much better writer than Schmitt, whom I will give points for trying, but whose writing hovers at the low level of the paper for which he works.

Indeed. Whatever one thinks about specific columns or opinions, Bucky is a much better writer than Schmitt, whom I will give points for trying, but whose writing hovers at the low level of the paper for which he works.

I don't necessarily agree that Bucky is a better writer or that Schmitt's skill is simply typical of a smaller paper. I think Schmitt is a pretty good hockey writer when he does his research and pays attention to what is going on with the Sabres. But when you throw an article together and apparently don't have a copy editor check it or have someone check the numbers/facts, then this is what happens.

I'm generally pretty lenient on writers and won't label someone as a hack or avoid them unless their work continually lacks substance, and the quality is similar to the ramblings of a message board troll.

In interest of full disclosure, I must admit that I interned in the Gazette's sports department and did some freelance work for them before leaving NYS. I watched (with disappointment) the quality of the Gazette decline from the time when I ran to the paper to see if my name made the Little League write-ups until I moved to Florida, and now when I travel home I am still appalled at how bad the paper has become...

I don't necessarily agree that Bucky is a better writer or that Schmitt's skill is simply typical of a smaller paper. I think Schmitt is a pretty good hockey writer when he does his research and pays attention to what is going on with the Sabres. But when you throw an article together and apparently don't have a copy editor check it or have someone check the numbers/facts, then this is what happens.

That is what I mean about how bad the Gazette is. They do not have copy editors, or much editorial staff to speak of at all, which does not help its writers. That paper is a huge embarrassment, especially considering that it was once a solid small-city paper.

I'm generally pretty lenient on writers and won't label someone as a hack or avoid them unless their work continually lacks substance, and the quality is similar to the ramblings of a message board troll.

In interest of full disclosure, I must admit that I interned in the Gazette's sports department and did some freelance work for them before leaving NYS. I watched (with disappointment) the quality of the Gazette decline from the time when I ran to the paper to see if my name made the Little League write-ups until I moved to Florida, and now when I travel home I am still appalled at how bad the paper has become...

I understand your nostalgia. I used to deliver the Gazette, and also remember looking for my name in the Little League articles... Alas, outside ownership and general lack of good management has driven the paper into the ground.

That is what I mean about how bad the Gazette is. They do not have copy editors, or much editorial staff to speak of at all, which does not help its writers. That paper is a huge embarrassment, especially considering that it was once a solid small-city paper.

True. Sadly Schmitt is the sports editor, and even when I was interning there I didn't see much in the way of copy editors for the sports department.

I understand your nostalgia. I used to deliver the Gazette, and also remember looking for my name in the Little League articles... Alas, outside ownership and general lack of good management has driven the paper into the ground.
Agreed. IMO the outside ownership is the biggest culprit, and the Gazette's inability to do anything right has given rise to the Reporter which is a much better paper right now.

The aforementioned Buffalo journalists are hardly worth a comment. They have very little sense of reality. They're just guys who couldn't make it in bigger markets and they're either bitter wannabee's, like Bucky and Sullivan, or more gee-whiz like Schmitt...

The ones that fly under the radar, Graham and Vogl, are much better...actually they're award-winners:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabresnh...ory/377245.html

The aforementioned Buffalo journalists are hardly worth a comment. They have very little sense of reality. They're just guys who couldn't make it in bigger markets and they're either bitter wannabee's, like Bucky and Sullivan, or more gee-whiz like Schmitt...

The ones that fly under the radar, Graham and Vogl, are much better...actually they're award-winners:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabresnh...ory/377245.html

Vogl is a good hockey man.

I'll write in short sentences...

Bucky is a columnist. Columnists write OPINIONS. Some columnists are more positive than negative. Some columnists are more negative than positive.

What is so hard to understand about this?

If you don't like Bucky's position regarding the Sabres, don't read his columns.

;)

I think we are all aware that Bucky is a columnist. And since he only writes his opinions he can do so without including and facts to back his opinions. Which is his right. As is it our right to proclaim his writings as bull$hit and challenge him to have some professional pride and actually stand behind his opinions and provide some factual basis for his opinions.

Maybe when he writes his annual "__________ would have signed for 5 years at $25 million" he will take some time and actually produce confirmation of the contract offer.

I have to say. If Bucky Ecklund is a columnist than the standards at the Buffalo News must be at a all-time low. I guess maybe it's an indication of how low his standing is in the profession considering that many of the top writers now do so on the various sports websites.

Archived