Editorial: Amerks fan base has more to worry about than the Portland Pirates

wildcat48

Yes, I did.

Steve Donner? He's barely a factor anymore. He doesn't control any finances.

Questioning Curt Styres? What does he know other than something he googled? The league approved him 28-0. Clearly they had no issues with him.

The lease? Duffy was on the news tonight. Said he's very confident a deal will be done soon and sees no reason it won't happen. No mention of Donner, and no mention of not working with the team because of him.

Veterans? Martin has said they will sign veterans.

I'm glad he's happy he's affiliated with Buffalo. I'm happy we're with Florida. So it all works out. The results this season and into the future will speak for themselves, whichever side they favor.

Amerk,

I am repeating a question from yesterday and adding a couple of others based on today's D&C Kevin O article.

How exactly doesn't Donner control any finances of the Amerks and how exactly is he barely a factor anymore when he is still addressed as "Amerks president Steve Donner"? How many company presidents do you know of that don't control any finances?

Who is the 3rd party negotiating w/ Ra-cha-cha on the lease on behalf of the Amerks and what sort of connection will they have to the franchise? Is this a group that's being brought in only to handle the negotiations or are they also going to be handling other management activities?

If you're going to mention distance, you have to mention teams like Philly and Toronto.

From experience with the Maine people I've met, I'd say there's a decent split between Montreal and Boston up there. Portland is in the very southern part of the state, which should be mostly Bruins territory. I also have a friend from the northern portion of Maine who was a Flyers fan when he was young, so I'm sure you can find just about anyone up there.

Oh thanks, thats what I was thinking as far as their NHL teams...

Yeah I forgot about the Marlies and the Phantoms, but those are two are cities that can support both

Oh thanks, thats what I was thinking as far as their NHL teams...

Yeah I forgot about the Marlies and the Phantoms, but those are two are cities that can support both

FWIW, Boston has six AHL teams currently closer to the Boston than Portland. Worcester is the Sharks affiliate (~45 miles), Lowell is affiliated with the Devils (~30 miles), and Providence has the Bruins kids (~50 miles), Manchester has the Princes (~55 miles), Springfield has the Eulers (~90 miles), and Hartford has the Rags kids (~100 miles). Portland is ~115 miles from Boston.

I find it real hard to believe that this editorial is no more than an attempt to quell the fears pirates fans have over having a new parent-club at the expense of the Amerks. I don't need to read about the sad state of the franchise from some guy in Maine, when I can see it in the D&C. For the record, I will continue to be a fan of the Amerks because they are the hometown team, I don't believe in switching loyalties, and because I just love watching hockey in general. However, I have no sympathy for Donner and would like nothing more than to see him sell off his ownership in all Rochester sports. So for those posters, and editorial writers, who claim that Rochester fans have sided with Donner in this argument, get your facts straight. Some of us still have to deal with this guy corrupting our cities sports franchises

IMO, the issue is not and never has been the fact that no veteran players were brought in, but rather the issue was that this issue was brought up in the first place. I'm willing to bet that when the owner of the club publicly admits that his current roster can't win because they have no veteran players, that it would greatly effect the mindset of the club. That, coupled with the fact that half of the players on the team didn't have any security as to their location for this upcoming season, until today, probably compounded the putrid results on the ice.

Along with issues with poor management, the fact that both clubs called up key players during important times during the season completely decimated the team.

I think it would be interesting to note something that I don't think has been mentioned which could add to the confusion of these young players: different mindsets toward coaching at the NHL level. Essentially what Cunneyworth had to do for the past few seasons is blend the ideologies of both Ruff and Martin into something that could be understood by all the players. I'm sure it has to be difficult learning one system in the respective training camp, and then reporting to the AHL and having to learn an adjusted system. I'm not expert, but that seems to be one of many negatives surrounding a dual-parent AHL club.

all i know as a sabres fan and and amerks fan is that the ownership in portland is much more sound than ours in rochester. i wish and hope in the future we can again work together. it won't happen because we in rochester continue to let make shift owners do business in our town. i would rather lose the team for a year or two than have donner have another thing to do with this team. attendance to games has plunged in the last few years due to the dual affiliation, and florida has been known to have the worst farm system in sports for years . i have know idea how this is going to help us in the long run. and i know i will miss watch future sabres work their way through the ranks. only one i blame is good old donner! the city of rochester waited too long to step in!

all i know as a sabres fan and and amerks fan is that the ownership in portland is much more sound than ours in rochester. i wish and hope in the future we can again work together. it won't happen because we in rochester continue to let make shift owners do business in our town. i would rather lose the team for a year or two than have donner have another thing to do with this team. attendance to games has plunged in the last few years due to the dual affiliation, and florida has been known to have the worst farm system in sports for years . i have know idea how this is going to help us in the long run. and i know i will miss watch future sabres work their way through the ranks. only one i blame is good old donner! the city of rochester waited too long to step in!

Just curious, how could the City of Rochester stepped in and changed anything? Professional sport teams have been been run good and bad for years by owners who didnt care or ran their teams into the ground or ran them very well. Very rarely can a city do anything about the product or how the team is run. I think..

Why did you bother using periods?

Archived