Soupy's contract and timing of Sabres' offers

nfreeman

on another note... Campbell made the all-star game again and like it or not that increases his value. He knows it and his agent knows it... it doesn't matter if he deserved to be there or not. The NHLPA and his agent have an obligation to get as much money for their client as possible and they will chirp in the clients ear non-stop to convince them they can get more if they hold out. October he was a one time all-star and the Sabres weren't sure he was worth 5 mill a year... come Feb, Campbell knew he was worth more than that and wouldn't accept that offer or anything less.

I think if Campbell doesn't make the all-star game, we re-sign him... but since he did that scewed the pay scale as far as I'm concerned....

I told you guys that no one should vote for him. Next year I am voting for all UFA/RFA's in our division for the AS game.

No it is not how awful the players are and they don't want to sign them... It is long term and the vision they see with a team and where they want to go in building it THEIR WAY.

Why can't the fans just see this?

If I am restorin a car... I know it may be working at the time, if it doesn't feel right... I will tear it apart and do it my way... No matter what a million people are telling me. I want blue in the end, I am will not settle for red.

Simple?

Call it rebuilding when you may have a contender...

Exiled, this sounds like it was the case with Briere (and probably McKee) -- ie they felt like those players, even at the lower levels the players originally asked for, didn't fit into their plans for the roster. But my original point (and I think Tom's as well) was that it doesn't seem like this was true with Drury and Soupy. In other words, it sounds like they wanted to keep those 2 guys, but they just screwed up the process due to sheer incompetence. They've essentially admitted this happened with Drury, and I started this thread because it seems like, based on Quinn's comments to Schoop, that they also screwed up (albeit in a different manner) the Soupy situation. (To be fair, XB has made me rethink the conclusion that they screwed up with Soupy, because they probably did think, reasonably enough, that they would get a lot more out of Tallinder, Lydman and Kalinin).

That's why I'm having a hard time accepting the fact that we were THIS close to a cup and we took several huge steps back -- because it didn't need to happen.

That's why I'm having a hard time accepting the fact that we were THIS close to a cup and we took several huge steps back -- because it didn't need to happen.

"this" close? the sabers had all of the players in question last season and COULDN'T ADVANCE TO THE FINALS! sign them all for this past season and how do you add that "missing piece" necessary to advance further in the playoffs? you can't! there's no money. not to mention that after last year's postseason performance, they were more than a couple of missing pieces away from being cup caliber.

"this" close? the sabers had all of the players in question last season and COULDN'T ADVANCE TO THE FINALS! sign them all for this past season and how do you add that "missing piece" necessary to advance further in the playoffs? you can't! there's no money. not to mention that after last year's postseason performance, they were more than a couple of missing pieces away from being cup caliber.

The notion that they had such a horrible post season and where doomed to failure seems to be a prevailing opinion around here. To hear some of you talk, you would think they got swept in four games by the Islanders.

I prefer to take the position that if they signed Drury and added a physical defensive defensemen, that they'd still be playing and not having to worry about playing Anaheim this year.

As I said in my post, Iginla signed after Drury, Gomez and Briere (July 4th)

That's what I get for only looking at his contract numbers and seeing that they have been at the same figure for a couple years now. What really bugs me here though is that we're talking about $7 million dollar deals as a home town discount. I really hate this league sometimes.

That's what I get for only looking at his contract numbers and seeing that they have been at the same figure for a couple years now. What really bugs me here though is that we're talking about $7 million dollar deals as a home town discount. I really hate this league sometimes.

That is another subject, and I can make a pretty strong case as to why the players deserve it, but enough people want me off thios board already.

I completely disagree. They lost 3 1-goal games in the conf. finals, including 2 in OT and 1 in double OT. Their power play was completely constipated, and they had lost Zubrus to a knee injury suffered vs. the Rangers. Even without Briere, but with Drury and Soupy locked up (and the resulting psychic boost for the players, who know that they are in an organization committed to winning, as opposed to working for the keystone cops), and a little aggressive wheeling and dealing for a couple of tough veteran role players, they are very much in the hunt and probably a final 4 team again.

The notion that they had such a horrible post season and where doomed to failure seems to be a prevailing opinion around here. To hear some of you talk, you would think they got swept in four games by the Islanders.

I prefer to take the position that if they signed Drury and added a physical defensive defensemen, that they'd still be playing and not having to worry about playing Anaheim this year.

100% correct.

I completely disagree. They lost 3 1-goal games in the conf. finals, including 2 in OT and 1 in double OT. Their power play was completely constipated, and they had lost Zubrus to a knee injury suffered vs. the Rangers. Even without Briere, but with Drury and Soupy locked up (and the resulting psychic boost for the players, who know that they are in an organization committed to winning, as opposed to working for the keystone cops), and a little aggressive wheeling and dealing for a couple of tough veteran role players, they are very much in the hunt and probably a final 4 team again.

100% correct.

Maybe.

I say tear it down build it new with more room to tweak when needed. Why set yourself up for more heartache doing things on a shoestring... There is sure a downside and it is steeper than what they had to go through this tear... Again, IMO.

I apologize for this, but I listened to the Schoop interview on the audio vault with Darcy, Lindy and Quinn the other day and I'm still shaking my head. During the discussion of Soupy's contract negotiations, Quinn disclosed that, toward the end, they offered Soupy $29 million for 6 years -- so $4.83 million per year. It's been widely reported that Soupy asked for $5 million x 5 years before the season started, which was in October, and that the Sabres rejected this proposal. The trade deadline was Feb. 26.

-snip-

Hmmm, I remember someone posting back in Feb. that a 6 year 30 mill deal was being offered to Soupy. No one believed it. I think it was that trixie girl. Ah, redemption feel oh so good. :beer:

Didn't Thornton sign 2 years ago for $7M per year. How was that a discount back then?

Thornton signed right at the trade deadline last year and he signed only a three year extention when it was assumed that he would comand the maximum contract for a lot longer than three years. According to TG, Drury and Briere's agents knew what to expect. Did somebody forget to tell Joe and his agent?

Thornton signed right at the trade deadline last year and he signed only a three year extention when it was assumed that he would comand the maximum contract for a lot longer than three years. According to TG, Drury and Briere's agents knew what to expect. Did somebody forget to tell Joe and his agent?

To be fair, though, the 3-year term of Thornton's contract is a glaring exception. Just about every big-name FA has signed a long-term deal. And at age 28, Thornton probably figured that he'll get another huge bite at the apple when the 3 years are up.

To be fair, though, the 3-year term of Thornton's contract is a glaring exception. Just about every big-name FA has signed a long-term deal. And at age 28, Thornton probably figured that he'll get another huge bite at the apple when the 3 years are up.

My point was that the term and the money were a discount on his part.

Archived