Stanley Cup Playoffs Game Discussion Thread

Bmwolf21

Short schedule, but the season could end for two teams tonight (Anaheim and New Jersey):

NY Rangers at New Jersey, Game 5 (Rangers lead 3-1) 7:30 p.m. ET - Preview

Nashville at Detroit, Game 5 (Series tied 2-2) 7:30 p.m. ET, Versus - Preview

Dallas at Anaheim, Game 5 (Dallas leads 3-1) 10:30 p.m. ET, Versus - Preview

NHL Scoreboard

No NHL games for me... Today, I won Crunch tickets for tonight and tomorrow night! <snoopy dance>

Just off their season ending 15 game winning streak and into tonight's start of the playoffs.

Let's go Crunch!

Oh, and Go Devils!

The Rangers are making the Devils look like a pee wee team...Brodeur isn't playing well, the defense isn't playing well and the Rangers are up 3-1 after a period.

Ugh....

Guess even overworked elite goalies can't overcome crappy defensive play... :unsure:

NJ is out and the NYR are moving on after the 5-3 win. Brodeur touched for 4 goals on 22 shots, Madden unsuccessful on the potential game-tying penalty shot late in the 3rd, and Drury gets the GWG (a cheapie to be sure, but still counts.)

NJ is out and the NYR are moving on after the 5-3 win. Brodeur touched for 4 goals on 22 shots, Madden unsuccessful on the potential game-tying penalty shot late in the 3rd, and Drury gets the GWG (a cheapie to be sure, but still counts.)

I didnt see any of the game but that dude sure has the golden stick doesnt he!!!! DAMN SABRES

Brodeur does not shake Avery's hand, keeps it at his side. I get it but doing this does make him look bad.

I don't know...I have more respect for someone who sticks to his convictions instead of automatically bowing to tradition. I keep thinking of Dino Ciccarelli's line after the Claude Lemieux - Kris Draper incident - "I can't believe I shook his freakin' hand."

LINK

It is best to return classlessness with Class.

I don't know...I have more respect for someone who sticks to his convictions instead of automatically bowing to tradition. I keep thinking of Dino Ciccarelli's line after the Claude Lemieux - Kris Draper incident - "I can't believe I shook his freakin' hand."

LINK

It is best to return classlessness with Class.

I agree mostly, millbank, but would argue that there are always going to be exceptions and instances where you can't just let it go and act like nothing happened. Brodeur has too much respect for the game to disrespect it with one gesture, so I think the rejected handshake means more coming from him rather than someone like Emery, for instance.

Just the same way Domi took care of Sami Wilson, some game , some time Avery will get taken care of. He is on many dance cards.

I agree mostly, millbank, but would argue that there are always going to be exceptions and instances where you can't just let it go and act like nothing happened. Brodeur has too much respect for the game to disrespect it with one gesture, so I think the rejected handshake means more coming from him rather than someone like Emery, for instance.

Just the same way Domi took care of Sami Wilson, some game , some time Avery will get taken care of. He is on many dance cards.

From your lips to the hockey gods' ears...

Back to the on-going hockey...Robidas left the ice urgently after taking a puck to the face. Didn't look good at all, hope he is OK...

Perry scores to make it 1-0 Ducks.

Word is Brodeur is a little sensitive about the gentlemen Mr. Avery discussing the details of his divorce on the ice.

I believe I heard the conversation expanded past said divorce and went into alleged encounters between Avery and said ex-wife.

Can we please "overpay" (our FO's word for dipping in the FA market) for Dallas' UFA, Mattias Norstrom. I've said it before, but he's a big physical defenseman, a veteran and an obvious leader (was LA's captain for many years.) He even just scored for Dallas on the PP to tie it up.

Brodeur does not shake Avery's hand, keeps it at his side. I get it but doing this does make him look bad.

With all due respect to hockey's codes and all, I would have spit on him and fought him during the handshake line. How anyone can find sympathy for Sean at this point is beyond me. That dude would be wearing his teeth as a necklace. If I ever come across that little #%^$#!er, I'll be looking to make some necklaces for myself.

Word is Brodeur is a little sensitive about the gentlemen Mr. Avery discussing the details of his divorce on the ice.

Good article about Avery's contributions to the NHL playoff experience (LINK)

And whereas hockey's trash talking tends to relate to a player's skills -- or lack thereof -- Avery's trash talking gets highly personal. In this case, it usually relates to Brodeur's 2003 divorce.

Brodeur himself shrugs it off. "I heard everything throughout the 2003 playoffs," he told the Bergen Record last week.

"It's funny, the lack of new material. I told him, 'It has been five years. Find something else.'"

But usually, Brodeur says nothing. "If it would be in French, I would be able to come up with a quick answer," he said. "But in English, I've got to think about it, and then by the time I put it into English, he's gone."

---------

This is not Avery's first achievement in this regard. He's at least partly responsible for the fact that in these playoffs, for the first time, the stand-by referee has the duty of sitting in the penalty box to watch the pregame warmup.

In the past, the referees have occasionally watched the warmup from a location of their choice -- a hallway, a vacant seat or the Zamboni entrance. But when the fun began, their view was often blocked -- if indeed they were there. Not every stand-by referee got to the building in time for the warmup.

But now, the ref must be in the penalty box so that if a problem erupts, he'll have an unobstructed view and will be close enough to warn off the potential combatants.

The pregame tussle that Avery incited with Jason Blake and Darcy Tucker of the Toronto Maple Leafs earlier this season had a lot to do with the issuing of this directive.

Archived