Calder Trophy  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie of the Year?

• Carey Price
    • Patrick Kane
    • Niklas Backstrom
    • Jonathan Toews
    • other...

Kane. Price didn't play a full year - only 41 games - so it's not even close IMO.

Kane led all rookies with 72 pts. and 28 power-play points, as well as leading his team in assists, points and power-playing scoring.

as for the calder, i take the wee st. paddy kane, for sure.

that said, kane could very well end up being the gary suter to price's patrick roy -- here's linkelage to that effect. (although there's no chance to repeat the weird symmetry of price defeating kane's hawks in the finals.)

as for the calder, i take the wee st. paddy kane, for sure.

that said, kane could very well end up being the gary suter to price's patrick roy -- here's linkelage to that effect. (although there's no chance to repeat the weird symmetry of price defeating kane's hawks in the finals.)

Good call! I can see that happening for sure. To bad Paddy Roy turned out to be such a turd.

I'd argue that Peter Mueller should get more consideration than Kane. He scored 22 G 32 Assists for 54 pts for Phoenix. Of course he's hidden in Phoenix so he won't get many votes for rookie of the year.

Phoenix has a ton of talent out there, probably the next "Penguins" without a Crosby. Doan is the veteran leader that we need. But I agree, I think he is aces!

I'd argue that Peter Mueller should get more consideration than Kane. He scored 22 G 32 Assists for 54 pts for Phoenix. Of course he's hidden in Phoenix so he won't get many votes for rookie of the year.

He's good, but he didn't have as good a rookie campaign as Kane did. Kane had 18 more points, 1 more GWG, 7 more PPP, and was absolutely deadly in the SO - 7/9 (78%) while Mueller was 3/10 (30%.)

Mueller will warrant some consideration but he's outside looking in - I think it's between Kane and Backstrom.

Call me crazy for not going for the hometown hero, but I put in my vote for Jonathan Toews. When he was out of the lineup, the Hawks suffered horribly through his snakebitten stretch.

As Boomer stated on Face Off on NHL Home Ice (XM204), he said the following for a team like the Hawks to have to rely on a 19-year-old to get them through each and every game: "That's [sic] brutal!" He was referring to the total lack of productivity by the Hawks when Toews was out with an injury during the season.

IMO, Boomer is one of the better analysts of the game out there, and that was a prime example of it.

(BTW, if any of you guys out there get XM, you should have heard him and Ron Rimer go at it over the sorry state of affairs at LeafNation. Rimer still admits to bleeding blue, but he had to concede with Boomer that the Leafs FO doesn't GAF about their fans. No fan appreciation night, no specials for coming out like whatever coupons and incentives there may be, none of that. Just show up for the game, watch it, and go home. Even TG, whom some people on here accuse of being a tightwad, will at least do something special for fans -- with the exception of winning 16 games in the playoffs.)

What's that? He can't hear you for

I've always liked

Call me crazy for not going for the hometown hero, but I put in my vote for Jonathan Toews. When he was out of the lineup, the Hawks suffered horribly through his snakebitten stretch.

That sounds like an argument for most valuable rookie. That's not the way the award is viewed. Its almost purely numbers and Kane has a slight edge there. His 82 games played vs Toews' 64 will be a big factor too.

I've always liked

That sounds like an argument for most valuable rookie. That's not the way the award is viewed. Its almost purely numbers and Kane has a slight edge there. His 82 games played vs Toews' 64 will be a big factor too.

I understand that. However, I'm sticking to my guns on this one. Then again, if Toews doesn't win, it won't be the end of the world.

I understand that. However, I'm sticking to my guns on this one. Then again, if Toews doesn't win, it won't be the end of the world.

Yeah, either way, we all know that Chicago likes what they have with those guys and the rest of their youth.

Archived