Where do we go from here?

Sherman

It looks like we will miss the playoffs. What moves does everyone think we need to make? I think we need toughness and leadership. I watch the game last night against the Senators and they hit us when we had the puck they hit us when we didn't have the puck and they threw Kaleta off his game. He is the one person who plays the body. We never responded. They ran into our goalie several times and again we never responded.

We have a good young core: Roy, Pominville, Vanek, Hecht, Stafford, Paille, Gaustad, Bernier, MacArthur, Miller, Tallinder, Spacek, Sekera and Weber. They all show promise and leadership qualities. Everyone else Max, Kotalik, Connolly, Lydman, Mair, Peters could have value to other teams around the NHL. Yes even Peters Could have value to another team. Paetsch is OK for a 6-7 defenceman. He may be like a Campbell and take a few years to develop into a solid 3-4 defenceman.

There will be guys out there who have been deep in the playoffs and done it before. I think our team is not a good mixture of youth and veterans. Some guys who could help and come cheap: Mike Peca, Dallas Drake,Corey Stillman, Jason Smith, Mike Commodore, Hall Gill, Wade Redden(Ottawa doesn't want him). The team will lose season ticket holders/revenue if they don't make some sort of noise in the offseason. How about Sean Avery?

When teams play physical against us we lose. We don't have the mental or physical toughness to compete against the better clubs.

It looks like we will miss the playoffs. What moves does everyone think we need to make? I think we need toughness and leadership. I watch the game last night against the Senators and they hit us when we had the puck they hit us when we didn't have the puck and they threw Kaleta off his game. He is the one person who plays the body. We never responded. They ran into our goalie several times and again we never responded.

We have a good young core: Roy, Pominville, Vanek, Hecht, Stafford, Paille, Gaustad, Bernier, MacArthur, Miller, Tallinder, Spacek, Sekera and Weber. They all show promise and leadership qualities. Everyone else Max, Kotalik, Connolly, Lydman, Mair, Peters could have value to other teams around the NHL. Yes even Peters Could have value to another team. Paetsch is OK for a 6-7 defenceman. He may be like a Campbell and take a few years to develop into a solid 3-4 defenceman.

There will be guys out there who have been deep in the playoffs and done it before. I think our team is not a good mixture of youth and veterans. Some guys who could help and come cheap: Mike Peca, Dallas Drake,Corey Stillman, Jason Smith, Mike Commodore, Hall Gill, Wade Redden(Ottawa doesn't want him). The team will lose season ticket holders/revenue if they don't make some sort of noise in the offseason. How about Sean Avery?

When teams play physical against us we lose. We don't have the mental or physical toughness to compete against the better clubs.

Ummm....you said Wade Redden would come cheap? Riiiiigghht.

I'd take Sean Avery any day. It will never happen.

Down... That's my take. We already know what the 2008-2009 Sabres look like. They just are not good enough to compete and there is nothing in Rochester to promote. This team will continue to struggle for a few more years. I don't see them being competitive for some time to come. As usual, I hope I am wrong. I see a few years of playoff drought ahead. And oh yeah, a new coach.

Probably no where. Just like every offseason. Keep the team they had, maybe pickup one under the radar mediocre FA to say they did something, blame the previous year on injuries and inexperience, and continue building a team for the new NHL, completly ignoring what is successful in the current NHL.

As for Redden, am I the only one that could still see Ottawa re-signing him, and not having to do anything drastic to do it? it seems like every year the Buffalo fans always talk about how certain teams are going to have to shed their top players to fit under the cap, yet those teams always make it work while Buffalo can't. Do you all remember the great superstar purge of the 2007 New York Rangers? All those guys that they couldn't re-sign because of the cap, and how they couldn't afford to sign any new FA's?

"Some guys who could help and come cheap: Mike Peca"

Mike Peca wanted to come back this past season to Buffalo, but good ol' Darcy still has a chip on his shoulder from when negotiations failed w/Peca (00'-01') that he chose not to bring back Peca. I always liked Peca, he was a good 2-way center that was physical and had veteran leadership, but as long as DR is here, Peca will never be a Sabre again.

"Some guys who could help and come cheap: Mike Peca"

Mike Peca wanted to come back this past season to Buffalo, but good ol' Darcy still has a chip on his shoulder from when negotiations failed w/Peca (00'-01') that he chose not to bring back Peca. I always liked Peca, he was a good 2-way center that was physical and had veteran leadership, but as long as DR is here, Peca will never be a Sabre again.

That might be the only reason I would want to keep Darcy around (and one of the only things I have ever agreed with Deluca on) JJUST SAY NO TO PECA! He is done (is he even playing this season?) He is past his prime and has done nothing since leaving the Sabres (except have one good playoff run in Edmonton)except get hurt and miss time.

That might be the only reason I would want to keep Darcy around (and one of the only things I have ever agreed with Deluca on) JJUST SAY NO TO PECA! He is done (is he even playing this season?) He is past his prime and has done nothing since leaving the Sabres (except have one good playoff run in Edmonton)except get hurt and miss time.

I think he actually scored last night.

Is Peca a 1st or 2nd liner anymore, No. But I would take him for his physical play and veteran leadership.

Sorry. For the Blue Jackets.
As I am a CBJ season ticket holder (and former Lancaster resident and Sabres fan until I die), I have to jump in here. Peca centers the checking line, is on the first PK unit and takes most of the important faceoffs. For his size he is not reluctant to mix it up. I know it's not 1999 anymore, and he may be past his prime, but I would take him over Max in a half a heartbeat.

Archived