THANKS MARTY!!!!

RayFinkle

They really need to do something about the three point games. Either the winning team in regulation needs to be awarded three points or they need to go back to the old 2 points win 1 point tie system. The only compromise I can think of to keep the shootout is, counting a shootout win as a tie in the standings (and therefore 1 point for each team) but as a win in head to head. That way the shootout works as a tie breaker in deciding what teams make the playoffs in the head to head tie breaker.

They really need to do something about the three point games. Either the winning team in regulation needs to be awarded three points or they need to go back to the old 2 points win 1 point tie system. The only compromise I can think of to keep the shootout is, counting a shootout win as a tie in the standings (and therefore 1 point for each team) but as a win in head to head. That way the shootout works as a tie breaker in deciding what teams make the playoffs in the head to head tie breaker.

Get rid of the shootout - play 10 min 4 on 4 - and get rid of ties completely.

I'm not trying to start an argument, but I really didn't hear anyone complaining about 3-point games last season when things were going well.

I can't believe I just saw Aaron Ward score an overtime winner again, just seconds after they showed the replay of him doing it against Philly earlier in the year. Unreal.

I'm not trying to start an argument, but I really didn't hear anyone complaining about 3-point games last season when things were going well.

I can't believe I just saw Aaron Ward score an overtime winner again, just seconds after they showed the replay of him doing it against Philly earlier in the year. Unreal.

On a friggin slapper from 50 feet out at the blue line...unscreened....I love Marty, but wow.

Lots of us having been saying how stupid the "a game is worth two points if it is won in regulation and three points if it is won in OT/SO" system is for a long time. It was easier to take when it helped us, but it still sucked. The problem is that it has no logical base. There is an argument for a system that gives points for OT losses, but not for the particular system that they chose. I have substantial training in mathematics and logic, so such system pisses me off to no end.

Which is why he isn't here anymore.

Right, 'Conks and TBO are much better (well, Conks has been pretty damn good as of late). It was all about the $$.

As for the shootouts? Blah. I could do without them. I didn't so much like them even last year when we were on top of the world. It's not a true measure of a team's ability in my opinion. Point counts aside, I really don't like the games being decided differently in the playoffs. Pick one and commit to it. Honestly, if it helps decide who gets in to the playoffs, it's good enough to decide who advances. If they can't agree to that, ditch it altogether.

Again, that Roshambo thing... might as well just have the goaltenders do that for the extra point, it'd be just as entertaining. Or the coaches.

Well, worst case scenario took place today, which is an OTL for Philly. But, that's okay. We win tonight, we close the gap to one point. If the Pens beat Philly tomorrow and we get a win on Monday, we leapfrog Philly. Can't worry about what Philly did today. We have to beat Toronto tonight.

Well, worst case scenario took place today, which is an OTL for Philly. But, that's okay. We win tonight, we close the gap to one point. If the Pens beat Philly tomorrow and we get a win on Monday, we leapfrog Philly. Can't worry about what Philly did today. We have to beat Toronto tonight.

Amen.

Right, 'Conks and TBO are much better (well, Conks has been pretty damn good as of late). It was all about the $$.

As for the shootouts? Blah. I could do without them. I didn't so much like them even last year when we were on top of the world. It's not a true measure of a team's ability in my opinion. Point counts aside, I really don't like the games being decided differently in the playoffs. Pick one and commit to it. Honestly, if it helps decide who gets in to the playoffs, it's good enough to decide who advances. If they can't agree to that, ditch it altogether.

Again, that Roshambo thing... might as well just have the goaltenders do that for the extra point, it'd be just as entertaining. Or the coaches.

Bingo. Can't pay a backup goalie $2.1M to sit on the bench 60+ games a year. When they brought Conklin in at the deadline he was making $525,000.

Shootouts suck and should only be used in exhibition games, All-Star Skills Competitions and open practices. Get the points straightened out this offseason - every game should be worth the same number of points whether it's a regulation or OT win - or scrap the whole points system and go with wins, losses and ties.

Never said either were better.

My remark was directed towards the fact that he failed to emerge as a bonafide starter here, despite given several years to prove himself.

After a strong start in Philly, he's now come back to earth and playing to his level, which unfortunately includes soft goals at the most inopportune times, such as 50 foot unscreened slappers in OT.

Technically, we don't leapfrog the Flyers unless they lose their next game (after the Pens), too. Today's game for them was the same as our game last night (i.e., their 72nd). Their game with Pens is the same as our game tonight against the Leafs. If we win on Monday, too, then we will have more points, but they will have a game-in-hand.

However, you are right, we need to worry about our own games first. We will need help from the Pens, etc., but we can't move up without winning, too. It would have been better if Boston (or the Flyers) had won in regulation, but they didn't, so let's look at the bright side. We gained a point on the Flyers, so that two more wins than they get will get us in the playoffs. With two games against Boston, we also still have a good chance to catch them.

What if no one scores in 10 minutes?

Not sure. :unsure: Something has to be done to eliminate ties. Getting a point for losing a game does not make sense. Maybe if you eliminate the 1 point , the game would be played differently. Don't have all the answers but I don't like this system. Yes, even last year when we were winning I did not like it. Shoot outs are no longer exciting.

Never said either were better.

My remark was directed towards the fact that he failed to emerge as a bonafide starter here, despite given several years to prove himself.

After a strong start in Philly, he's now come back to earth and playing to his level, which unfortunately includes soft goals at the most inopportune times, such as 50 foot unscreened slappers in OT.

Yup, heir to Hasek's throne and all that... He's playing much like he always did now, yeah. It was nice to have him waiting in the wings, though. Miller's been worked senseless this season. I'd expect we dump TBO this offseason and pickup someone a bit more trustworthy.

Yup, heir to Hasek's throne and all that... He's playing much like he always did now, yeah. It was nice to have him waiting in the wings, though. Miller's been worked senseless this season. I'd expect we dump TBO this offseason and pickup someone a bit more trustworthy.

T-bo is a UFA after this year (at least according to NHLNumbers.com) so it would not surprise me one bit if they pick up someone else as Ryan's backup. It would be nice to grab a proven veteran with a little gas left in the tank, someone Ryan can lean on a little when times get tough and someone we can count on to hold the fort for a short time should Ryan get hurt.

Poor Timmy Thomas, apparently he is to blame for the Flyers' loss today:

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?service=page&am...&gameType=2

The Flyers are clinging to the final spot in the Eastern Conference playoff picture, but missed a chance to move up on Saturday.

They led the seventh-place Bruins 2-1 later in the third period but goaltender Tim Thomas allowed a goal with 27 seconds to play, then had another slip past him in overtime. The 3-2 loss was the Flyers' third straight defeat.

Archived