Buffalo Sabres and Passing Out of Their Own End

ExiledInIllinois

Not sure if this needs a topic. It has been bugging me forever.

When the Sabres attempt to move the puck up ice, is it me or do they always seem to pass right in front of their own net. Isn't this the "golden rule" NOT to do? Do other teams do it as much?

Boy does it drive me crazy.

I am really suprised the Sabres don't knock it into their own net more... What a way to play with fire.

Simple I know... But man! :wallbash: :wallbash:

Yeah. I lived in Detroit for 6 years and follow the Wings some. When I see them play, it's just flow-flow-flow. No stopping and starting, no hesitation. When breaking out of their zone, they know where the other d-man is, where the supporting forward is and where the up-ice forwards are. They go with the highest-priority pass that's available to them, and they do it quick.

The Sabres slow it down, but then.... they got nuthin but opposing forecheckers goading them into a bad pass. No support, no up-ice outlet, just a bunch of Sabres forwards scrambling back to play d-zone coverage after the turnover.

And speaking of that.... WHY DON'T THEY COVER in the d-zone? Especially on the penalty kill, but even on 5-on-5, their idea of defense seems to be watch the other team pass it into the slot or take a screen shot from the point that GETS THROUGH. WTF guys?

The other thing that just kills me is that opposing teams stop Sabre rushes by just putting a stick on the puck. Max is the worst offender. Everyone knows he's coming; and they let him come. They don't even bother with taking the body because they know they can poke-check the puck off his stick. But when opposing teams rush on the Sabres, they either get through cleanly or draw a hooking penalty because the checking Sabre is so far out of position to begin with that he can't get to the puck he can just hook the opposing player.

GAME AFTER GAME AFTER F-ING GAME.

They are like the Washington Generals or New York Nationals. They make every opponent look like the Harlem Globetrotters of hockey.

Two plays that REALLY pissed me off last night - Lydman's shadow defense on Taffe's goal - he didn't lay a frigging finger on him in front of the net - and Hecht's pass to no one in front of his own net on the power play.

You know, I love Lindy Ruff. He's an institution in the Buffalo and in the NHL. He's earned his place as the dean of NHL coaches with the crap he put up with during the bankruptcy and all that. But.....

I'm starting to think that coaching is the problem. :unsure:

The defensive talent level is far below NHL playoff standards..The defense is an absolute train wreck and if anyone needed any more proof than last night they need to watch some more spongebob..They cant get the puck out of their zone..They cant clear the net..The only thing Lindy should be coaching this talentless crew to do is ICE THE DANG PUCK more..

Passing it to the middle is ok, haphazardly dumping it to the middle is a no-no.

It seems to me that opponents game planned to slow the breakout passes up the boards and therefore took away the most comfortable play available to a D'man. As a result the middle of the ice is open, making it the best play available. Next game you watch a game take note of how many times the only open ice is up the gut - you'll see A LOT of breakout/clearing plays that start in the lower-to-mid slot

If a forechecker is down clogging the slot, it's a bad pass to attempt (and when it is attempted, that's when you'll hear the announcers moaning about passes up the gut). In that instance, the D'man needs to recognize that the slot is clogged and either reverse the puck or look for a play up the boards.

Just my 2?...

EDIT:

Not sure if this needs a topic. <snip>

I think it's a great topic. :thumbsup:

The defensive talent level is far below NHL playoff standards..The defense is an absolute train wreck and if anyone needed any more proof than last night they need to watch some more spongebob..They cant get the puck out of their zone..They cant clear the net..The only thing Lindy should be coaching this talentless crew to do is ICE THE DANG PUCK more..

But they were having trouble clearing the puck out when Campbell was still here. This has been a problem all year. It is magnified now that they have half an AHL roster back there. It seems they lose it in their own end or make a bad pass in the neutral zone to the other team then the puck gets shoved right back down their throats. They can never get it deep enough for the defense to get off the ice for a change. The tired D is leading to some easy goals.

Archived