What If Biron Is Traded For Prospects?

bob_sauve28

don't you boys want to win now? What about getting a player that is really good. That all of our boys will like to play with and wont sleep with any of the players wives?

What if we trade for someone who we love and is here for a while? Is that possible?

don't you boys want to win now? What about getting a player that is really good. That all of our boys will like to play with and wont sleep with any of the players wives?

What if we trade for someone who we love and is here for a while? Is that possible?

Please take the extra few seconds to sign in...

Why can't we get a young player that is really good? I want this team to be strong for years and years. Look at what Ottawa did with Yashin. They traded him for two great prospects. If we could pull off half of that, I'm all for it

Would that disappoint you? Good prospects, of course. Someone who is going to be a good solid player in the future, maybe a year or two. You save two million off the top and could probably get a rent a player for the playoffs. Just thought I'd toss that out for discussion.

I think it would be acceptable

That's the direction I hope the Sabres go in. It's too easy to get drunk off the early results. Luckily for the fans management is no light weight. The Sabres front office always has an eye on the bigger picture. Trading Biron for players who will help this team two to three years down the road is what will keep this franchise on the right path.

They are winning now? 36 wins in 56 games.

The roster is full of those players. If you're never gong to be happy then what's the point? They trade for a big ticket player? Then next year you'll be screaming for another and then another. Next thing you know you're the NY Rangers while burning a ton money.

Win Now = Win Never. Just look at the Maple Laughs.

Seeing as the guy hasn't played but one or two games since the new year and there are no more games until MARCH, a prospect or two is about all they can hope for at this point. In fact, they probably could get a better deal by waiting until the offseason. If winning now is so important they are better off keeping him in case something happens to Miller. They have already paid him nearly 3/4 of his salary anyway.

Seeing as the guy hasn't played but one or two games since the new year and there are no more games until MARCH, a prospect or two is about all they can hope for at this point.

You're right...Biron alone is probably only going to yield you a 1 month rent a player or a couple of prospects, but if you package Biron with a #1 pick and a Sabres prospect in Rochester or the juniors, you could get in return an established defenseman who is under contract for at least 2 or 3 years.

I'm actually hoping they don't move him this year at all. The schedule is brutal after the Olympics, and I would rather have Marty playing 7 or 8 games down the stretch instead of Mika. I also would rather have Marty in case of injury. Worry about what to do with him in the offseason.

Guest USAhockey

The Sabres have a duty to their fans to move Biron and possibly another player like one of their centers to land a big time NHL defenseman. They need that one player to round out their lineup. Someone that can play the power play without giving up major short handed chances. If management doesn' pull the trigger on a deal it shows they are not serious about winning. All the teams serious about winning make moves. Would you expect colorado to trade for prospects? No! The future is now!

The Sabres have a duty to their fans to move Biron and possibly another player like one of their centers to land a big time NHL defenseman. They need that one player to round out their lineup. Someone that can play the power play without giving up major short handed chances. If management doesn' pull the trigger on a deal it shows they are not serious about winning. All the teams serious about winning make moves. Would you expect colorado to trade for prospects? No! The future is now!

My friend, I admire your 'win now' mentality, but what you ask for is just not that easy. What team is going to give up a lot for Marty? Except for that 15 game stretch earlier this year, what team is going to give up that much for a goalie with a spotty past and no playoff experience?

That is the attitude that bankrupted the Penguins .... I agree the Sabres could use a defenseman, but they cannot afford to lose sight of the big picture to get one. Their DUTY TO THEIR FANS is to establish a stable franchise that will be in Buffalo long-term and be a winner most of the time. You can't compare the Sabres to the Avs any more than you can compare the Oakland A's to the Yankees ... keeping young talent and developing it is much more important to teams like the Sabres because they cannot go out and spend big money to fill holes like Colorado can. if the Sabres dealt Roy for a rent-a-player defenseman, it is still no guarantee of a Cup. And next year they are worse off because they traded a good young player and have nothing to show for it. Not saying Roy (or whoever) is untouchable, but it has to be the right deal for a guy that helps now and beyond ... those guys are not easy to pry away from other teams.

Guest USAhockey

Why does the trade have to be for a rent a player? The Avs still have Blake after the got him to win the cup. If we miss the opportunity to win now, it may pass us by forever. The idea of trading for "prospects" is a do nothing policy and the fans shouldn't tolerate it for a second. Do you really want to go to the finals and lose again? The future is now

Why does the trade have to be for a rent a player? The Avs still have Blake after the got him to win the cup. If we miss the opportunity to win now, it may pass us by forever. The idea of trading for "prospects" is a do nothing policy and the fans shouldn't tolerate it for a second. Do you really want to go to the finals and lose again? The future is now

Rob Blake also costs more than $6 million a year ... again, the Sabres are not the Avs and can't be bumping up against the cap every year. In the off season, are you going to understand when they have to trade him because they can't afford him (making him a rent-a-player), or are you going to want them to add another $6 million player who will apparently guarantee the Stanley Cup?

Listen, it's a moot point .. Biron is not going to get traded for prospects during the season ... maybe after the season, but not during ... I totally agree they should be looking to improve the defense, but even if they do, it does not guarantee a stanley cup, so you can't mortgage the future to do it.

This whole thoery that trading Biron will automatically land you a top 4 Dman is probably not accurate. If Darcy thinks the team needs to address the D, a prospect (Paille/Thorburn/Janik) will most likely be moved to a team looking to build their team for the future for said Defensman.

Archived