The "Blizzard of '06"

hopeleslyobvious

So, I have to laugh, the news came on right after 24 and Fox 5 in NY called this past weekend's weather the Blizzard of '06. Now, I admit, I was not alive for the Blizzard of '77, but I was in Buffalo for Thanksgiving 2000, and Christmas 2001, both pretty bad storms, and I seem to remember another one back in 98 or 99 (don't remember exactly when, I just remember my dad had me shoveling snow off the roof!) My point being that this storm was nothing compared to others that I have seen, and everyone is acting like the world came to an end. I guessed it was a foot and a half or so, the news says 2 feet. Sure, it's a decent amount of snow, but it's not that bad. Does anyone else have any similar stories of other cities going crazy over a little snow?

Do they even plow in Raleigh?

Don't know about raleigh, but here in fayetteville, i think they have one or two plows. They don't salt the roads either. It's more dangerous than it sounds though. you'd be amazed at what a couple of inches of snow does to roads that aren't maintained. Just last thursday, we had a little bit of flurries around 9:30am. The phones at the elementary school where i work were lit up. One kid in the class next to me got picked up, and by the end of the day, there was no milk, water, bread, eggs, or batteries at wal mart. All this for 30 minutes of fluries when it was 35 degrees outside.

I don't know about this particular storm in New York (the snow was pretty light in Boston), but I refer to a lot of the snowstorms Boston as slushstorms because it is so heavy that it is nearly impossible to blow.

I remember a storm that dumped 3 feet on Amherst circa 1996. Within days, even though the temp never went above freezing, the snow had settled/compressed to less than a foot because it was so low in moisture.

The other thing about the storms in Buffalo is that they are so localized. During that storm in '01, I was at my parents in Brockport. We played football on grass that afternoon and never got more that ~5-6in. I know it was a bad storm. My sister got married that week so I had to pick someone up at the Buffalo airport, and I have never seen anything like driving down the single lane on Genesee St. There was nothing to see to my left or right because of the sheer walls of snow left behind by the industrial strength blowers.

Anyway, I'd rather have 30 inches of lake effect than 15 inches of a wet Nor'easter any day.

I don't know about this particular storm in New York (the snow was pretty light in Boston), but I refer to a lot of the snowstorms Boston as slushstorms because it is so heavy that it is nearly impossible to blow.

I remember a storm that dumped 3 feet on Amherst circa 1996. Within days, even though the temp never went above freezing, the snow had settled/compressed to less than a foot because it was so low in moisture.

The other thing about the storms in Buffalo is that they are so localized. During that storm in '01, I was at my parents in Brockport. We played football on grass that afternoon and never got more that ~5-6in. I know it was a bad storm. My sister got married that week so I had to pick someone up at the Buffalo airport, and I have never seen anything like driving down the single lane on Genesee St. There was nothing to see to my left or right because of the sheer walls of snow left behind by the industrial strength blowers.

Anyway, I'd rather have 30 inches of lake effect than 15 inches of a wet Nor'easter any day.

The snow we got was pretty light. I shoveled my front steps, the sidewalk in front of my building, half the sidewalk in front of the neighbors building, and a path for the guy in the basement apt. to get out. It took all of about 15 minutes.

Where in Boston/Mass. do you live?

Its only the "Blizzard of '06" because the money pit/dump called NYC was involved.

Boo hoo, guess you don't make enough money to live there. I had season ticket's to the Ranger's for five years.

So, I have to laugh, the news came on right after 24 and Fox 5 in NY called this past weekend's weather the Blizzard of '06. Now, I admit, I was not alive for the Blizzard of '77, but I was in Buffalo for Thanksgiving 2000, and Christmas 2001, both pretty bad storms, and I seem to remember another one back in 98 or 99 (don't remember exactly when, I just remember my dad had me shoveling snow off the roof!) My point being that this storm was nothing compared to others that I have seen, and everyone is acting like the world came to an end. I guessed it was a foot and a half or so, the news says 2 feet. Sure, it's a decent amount of snow, but it's not that bad. Does anyone else have any similar stories of other cities going crazy over a little snow?

I really feel like being from Buffalo should not have anything to do with how funny I think snow coverage is in the tri-state (NY, NJ, CT) area where I live (Hoboken, NJ). Unless a snow storm is going to sit over your head for 5 days there is just no real danger. It snowed extremely hard here for about 12-18 hours and when it was done, yes, there was a lot of snow, but within 2 hours of it ending people were out and about?!?! And when you live in cities like this, where there are bodegas on almost every corner, you can get just about everything you need!

I just don't get the mad dash to the grocery stores b/c you can go out in snow. Stores don't close!! Unless you are having a party and need booze during the blizzard I stay away from the stores on those days!

I really feel like being from Buffalo should not have anything to do with how funny I think snow coverage is in the tri-state (NY, NJ, CT) area where I live (Hoboken, NJ). Unless a snow storm is going to sit over your head for 5 days there is just no real danger. It snowed extremely hard here for about 12-18 hours and when it was done, yes, there was a lot of snow, but within 2 hours of it ending people were out and about?!?! And when you live in cities like this, where there are bodegas on almost every corner, you can get just about everything you need!

I just don't get the mad dash to the grocery stores b/c you can go out in snow. Stores don't close!! Unless you are having a party and need booze during the blizzard I stay away from the stores on those days!

Hoboken huh? I'm in JC. How do you like Hoboken?

Hoboken huh? I'm in JC. How do you like Hoboken?

For the most part, I like Hoboken a lot. I got to live it as a single, and now I am married. We enjoy being within 5-7 blocks of a couple great neighborhood bars and restaraunts, and everything else really that is within walking distance.

Ironic for me to say this though as there are probably locals saying the same thing about me, but I think the degree of "yuppiness" that it has reached is becoming unbearable. To me, it just seems like a lot of people that just don't care for identity of the town and its people, etc...difficult to explain and probably makes no sense. A lot of pompous people that walk around with their head down or otherwise take their stupid hands-free every single place they go

I think we are suburb-bound in the next year anyway as we can not afford a bigger place for that "next" phase of life!

Which part of JC are you and how long have you been there?

I'm in downtown JC, I've been here about a year and a half. There are still a few shady people in the area, but for the most part it's really nice. I probably would have moved to Hoboken, but I would have ended up paying more money for a smaller place. A couple parts of JC are starting to look a lot like Hoboken, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was really yuppy in 5-10 years.

the blizzard of 93 was great fun, considering I was 9 and I got a week off school.

If it makes you guys feel better it's 22 degrees right now in Tallahassee, FL.

The Blizzard of 93 was not as fun for me. We were heading down to Fla. for Spring Break and the entire south was coated with 1/2 inch of ice. It shut down 4 states. It took us 2 and 1/2 days of near continous traffic laden driving to get there.

UT Austin was shutdown during December for 2 days because one night there was a little bit of freezing rain.

:lol:

what i remember from the blizzard of 77 is being able to walk up my neighbors second story roof without any effort at all. it didn't even seem that high up there and i was 5 years old. we didn't see mailboxes for weeks. the first floor was like constant nighttime because all the doors and windows were buried with snow. even the 5 feet we received here in denver a couple years ago just pales in comparison. i'll bet someone saved their 'i survived the blizzard of 77' t-shirt - it had a pic of the front page of the buffalo news on it

what i remember from the blizzard of 77 is being able to walk up my neighbors second story roof without any effort at all. it didn't even seem that high up there and i was 5 years old. we didn't see mailboxes for weeks. the first floor was like constant nighttime because all the doors and windows were buried with snow. even the 5 feet we received here in denver a couple years ago just pales in comparison. i'll bet someone saved their 'i survived the blizzard of 77' t-shirt - it had a pic of the front page of the buffalo news on it

I don't have the shirt, but I think I have something just as funny. I have a couple of Blizzard of 77 collector's glasses. They each have the front page of the Courier on them.

Archived