Scott Cullen TSN Power Rankings

rickshaw

I know it's not really a big deal but how can anyone not have our Sabres ranked number 1?

We are 4th this week behind Nashville, Ottawa and the number 1 Ducks?????

We lead the NHL in wins, with two games in hand.

We are 9-1-1 in our last 11, hottest team in the game.

We don't play Chicago, Columbus and St Louis 8 times each per year.

We are injured to the max yet keep on winning.

I know his rankings factor in injuries, but if we're still winning and winning big, how can we not be number one??

He's lost on me, seriously lost.

We can win the Cup and we still won't be ranked first.

I don't have a problem being ranked behind Nashville, Detroit or Anaheim, but what level of logic could have the Sabres behind the Senators whom they have by 12 freaking points in the same division?

Well TSN may have us below three other teams, but we sure are atop the ESPN Power Rankings.

I take it for what its worth, which isn't much... but i look at rankings as a kool way to "rank" teams during the long season other than just the actual standings.

Well TSN may have us below three other teams, but we sure are atop the ESPN Power Rankings.

I take it for what its worth, which isn't much... but i look at rankings as a kool way to "rank" teams during the long season other than just the actual standings.

But when the power rankings don't mirror the actual standings, people complain. What are people looking for here?

TSN takes into account injuries, I doubt many people would pick our team AS IT STANDS NOW against the teams placed above us in a 7 game series. For those of you who dont like teams with less points being ranked higher at the moment, I suggest you use the NHL standings rather than crying about TSN's ranking 'bias'

It's because TSN is CANADIAN and they have had a pretty obvious anti-Buffalo bias that I have seen. Same thing with watching a CBC broadcast of a Sabres-Leafs or Sabres-Senators game

Right. Ottawa goes 8-1-1 and they are hot. Buffalo goes 8-1-1 but half their team is injured. To Cullen that's a negative, not a positive. I gave up making sense of Scott Cullen ages ago. The Sabres could win the cup and still be ranked #4.

PTR

I know Power Rankings mean nothing, but come on.... I don't know what is worse, Buffalo at 4, or Detroit at 12 !!!??? Detroit is behind Calgary and Vancouver, and Ottawa??? I am surprised the Leafs and Habs aren't tied for 1st!!!

That's it. It's not just the Sabres who get the shaft.

The rankings don't have to mirror the standings, but come on, take into account what is currently happening with wins and losses at least.

Injuries or not, we are proving we are the best team by far right now. How many teams can drop 8 guys and keep on truckin? None.

The Canucks have been very average lately. Ottawa lost to Chicago and Atlanta who are not hot teams. Nashville has the icing on the cake schedule. They get probably 60 points in the standings by beating up on the 3 bad teams, as does Detroit.

I know Power Rankings mean nothing, but come on.... I don't know what is worse, Buffalo at 4, or Detroit at 12 !!!??? Detroit is behind Calgary and Vancouver, and Ottawa??? I am surprised the Leafs and Habs aren't tied for 1st!!!

:lol: Point well made!!!

IMHO, The entire purpose for power rankings are pure entertainment and for something to talk about on day like this; when the next hockey game is still more than 48 hours away...there fun to look at talk about every now and then.

TSN's rankings kind of annoy me too, but honestly, I am much more happy with the way the Sabres are playing. It's almost as if a light clicked back on after the brawl and the team is playing with that "little edge" more than they were in the dog days of January. And the rookies are playing great too.

Let's hope they carry that through this last stretch and into the playoffs (and that Lindy, the great motivator/strategist, finds a way that they not peak too early).

:lol: Point well made!!!

IMHO, The entire purpose for power rankings are pure entertainment and for something to talk about on day like this; when the next hockey game is still more than 48 hours away...there fun to look at talk about every now and then.

Yeah, but the talk shouldn't start out with "this is the craziest f###'n thing I've ever read." :doh:

did his rankings come out before or after the ottawa loss to chi-town? that might explain something.

also, maybe he's taking into account the 1-0-1 record the sens had vs. buffalo in the last two matchups a week ago. taking three of a possible four points vs. the statistical league leader...that might be his reasoning for putting ottawa ahead of the sabres right now.

just some ideas.

It's because TSN is CANADIAN and they have had a pretty obvious anti-Buffalo bias that I have seen. Same thing with watching a CBC broadcast of a Sabres-Leafs or Sabres-Senators game

You hit the nail on the head. But after all, since we lost to Ottawa in the "rematch" of the brawl game, with half a roster, then we are obviously not as good as them <_< . Frickin media bias. I'm loving how the Leafs and the Canadiens probably won't make the playoffs either! I can't get enough of it.

TSN takes into account injuries, I doubt many people would pick our team AS IT STANDS NOW against the teams placed above us in a 7 game series. For those of you who dont like teams with less points being ranked higher at the moment, I suggest you use the NHL standings rather than crying about TSN's ranking 'bias'

Hey I'm not "crying" so don't imply that I am. By your logic, I AM using the NHL standings so what is your point?

When's the last time you heard a CBC broadcast give props for defeating the Sens or the Leafs while being down 8 men due to injury? NEVER, because it doesn't happen. That's my point.

My point is that if you only care about points standings, dont look at or get yourself worked up over something so trivial and meaningless as TSN's power rankings, that take into account other things.

If your point was that CBC doesnt give enough props to the sabres you should have said that.

Im sorry for being so crass, but the whining and complaining I see over and over about the same stupid thing irritates me.

My point is that if you only care about points standings, dont look at or get yourself worked up over something so trivial and meaningless as TSN's power rankings, that take into account other things.

If your point was that CBC doesnt give enough props to the sabres you should have said that.

Im sorry for being so crass, but the whining and complaining I see over and over about the same stupid thing irritates me.

Luckily there has been very little of the power ranking whining this year. Yeah, it's probably because we've been on top of those polls all year (I haven't really checked, but its a safe assumption), but it's been nice not having to hear about it until now.

My point takes into account both the obvious CBC and TSN bias reflected in both the broadcast slant against Buffalo AND the season-long power ranking snub. Why is there such a diametrically different ranking that exists on TSN vs. SI.com vs. ESPN? Because of the bias, and it is there.

For the record, I don't get wrapped around the axle if Buffalo is not at the top. I am just pointing out the facts. These rankings are totally subjective, but overall record should be the #1 criteria, and TSN has voted the Sabres down ALL YEAR LONG.

The Sabres do not have to fight the Canadian bias, the media bias, or the NHL head office to win games. They need only to beat the other team and in some games the officiating. I could care less about power rankings because, unlike college football and basketball, it doesn't dictate a championship or a bracket position.

Archived