Can one single event change the course of history?

Corp000085

Of course the answer is yes...

1) the sabres were going to make a trade before the game.

2) biron was probbably playing his last game ever as a sabre.

3) we were all scared silly over a bunch of rookies.

4) our gift wrapped cup dreams were over.

After that one single event in last night's game:

1) trade what?? a prospect? um, our prospects beat up chris neil, scored a go ahead goal, scored the winning goal in the shootout, and had 2 assists. nobody's going anywhere. hell, not even kalinin.

2) biron is not only staying, but he'll die a buffalo sabre. He's gilbert perrault. he's rick martin with season tickets in his 50's. he's eternal. oh yes, he may leave, but it will be for financial reasons and it will be on his terms. Darcy regier will not trade the guy. he went from being a shaky goalie making way too much money for just an insurance policy to being the stuff of legands! For about 5 minutes, the dude was frank reich. Don't get me wrong, he's still a shaky goalie, he's still way overpaid, and we're way in doubt if he's called on in th e playoffs, but he's here to stay.

3) it was one game, but come on man... how can you be shaking in your boots when mike ryan drives to the net like 300x per game... he obviously needs to loosen up on his stick and relax, but he was there. Stafford? he singlehandedly won the game for us. Kaleta? he was throwing punches before the whistle. Talent wins games, heart wins championships. We have both, and a lot of it!

4) no they're not. far from it.

It's a great friday!

This stretch of injuries maybe the best thing to happen to the Sabres. Last night a bunch of youngsters were baptized into the NHL. I wouldn't even consider them rookies after last night. They're part of the team. I would hate to see any of them moved. The respect they gained last night was enormous.

This stretch of injuries maybe the best thing to happen to the Sabres.

Not only are the kids getting some seasoning but the guys out with injuries are getting some r&r and also healing all the other assorted bumps & bruises you get during the season. When they get back, once they shake the rust off after a few periods, they should be in GREAT shape

C'mon, lets all be serious here, one fight isn't going to change anything except getting the fans pumped up again.

It showed the team has heart and they care for each other, but that was never in question, we all knew this already.

As for Biron, thats great that he fought when he was challenged by Emery, but that doesn't change him needing to be moved to clear cap space.

This just proved that teams still need tough players and can't rely only on Finesse players. Drury could now miss a couple games with a head injury adding another injured player to the long list, and who knows who could be next knowing that the Sens are gonna run the Sabres all night on Saturday because they want revenge

If I was Briere, or Miller, or Vanek, or anybody on the Sabres, I'd be watching some boxing fights tonight and try to learn something for tomorrow, they will probably need it.

We won in an artificial shootout after giving up a 2 goal lead to a team that had their backup goalie in on our home ice.

Call me too fat to jump on the back of the bandwagon

dwight: first you defend neil's hit, now you can't get pumped up about a top 20 regular season home win in franchise history?

:censored: :wallbash:

why even bother being a sabres fan? moreover, why go to the extra trouble of posting on a sabres board?

We won in an artificial shootout after giving up a 2 goal lead to a team that had their backup goalie in on our home ice.

Hey genius, their 'backup goalie' was signed to be their starter and had just won 3 in a row. We were down 6 guys and our captain. We were rolling out lines that COMBINED had seen less than a season of NHL ice time. Get with it. Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.

You're kidding, right? The Sens tied up a game against a team full of young AHLers. The Sens should be ashamed that they didn't blow this team out.

Stay off the bandwagon. We don't need your ilk anyways.

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

dwight: first you defend neil's hit, now you can't get pumped up about a top 20 regular season home win in franchise history?

:censored: :wallbash:

why even bother being a sabres fan? moreover, why go to the extra trouble of posting on a sabres board?

I just think this is overreacting on Ruff's part. There have been plenty of opportunities prior to game 60 to assert your manhood. I am pleased that the real Lindy finally woke up and snapped, because it has been long overdue.

I am a Sabres fan, but I am discouraged by the multiplier effect of any event that goes on with the Sabres since they have become a contender. A borderline hit by Neil becomes Pearl Harbor. A spear by Briere on Ovechkin is no big deal. Jason Pominville is Danny Gare. Umberger goes after Campbell and he is a classless POS. Peters and Mair go after a couple of 50 goal scorers and it is just due.........I just wish people could be a tad more objective and give the proper value to the events and games as they occur. I will admit that I have taken a contrarian viewpoint on this team, but I honestly had more fun watching Ted Nolan and his team of nobodys give 110% each game. Even though we probably wouldn't win the cup, I felt good about our guys. I just don't trust Darcy Regeir at the helm and the true character of some of our players to be able to pull it off with the attitude and personality they have displayed over their careers.

I hope we win the Cup....the city should be able to celebrate. I just want a team that I can be proud of for real, without saying I am proud of them just because everyone else says the same.

I just think this is overreacting on Ruff's part. There have been plenty of opportunities prior to game 60 to assert your manhood. I am pleased that the real Lindy finally woke up and snapped, because it has been long overdue.

I am a Sabres fan, but I am discouraged by the multiplier effect of any event that goes on with the Sabres since they have become a contender. A borderline hit by Neil becomes Pearl Harbor. A spear by Briere on Ovechkin is no big deal. Jason Pominville is Danny Gare. Umberger goes after Campbell and he is a classless POS. Peters and Mair go after a couple of 50 goal scorers and it is just due.........I just wish people could be a tad more objective and give the proper value to the events and games as they occur. I will admit that I have taken a contrarian viewpoint on this team, but I honestly had more fun watching Ted Nolan and his team of nobodys give 110% each game. Even though we probably wouldn't win the cup, I felt good about our guys. I just don't trust Darcy Regeir at the helm and the true character of some of our players to be able to pull it off with the attitude and personality they have displayed over their careers.

I hope we win the Cup....the city should be able to celebrate. I just want a team that I can be proud of for real, without saying I am proud of them just because everyone else says the same.

Like I said, who needs you? This team over the last two season has shown more heart and more guts and have more talent than any Sabres team since the 70's. If you weren't proud of the team after last night then I fear you never will be. We avenged a cheap shot given to one of our team leaders. You want to argue wether it was legal. borderline, or illegal, makes no difference to these players.

Attitude and personality of our players? How about doing whatever it takes to win? How about showing no fear in standing up to cheap-shot wielding thugs? How about this team sending a message to the league that if you mess with one of our teammates you mess with all of them?

Your post sickens me. Go pull out your old tapes of Teddys teams and watch them. I'll be enjoying this great ride I am on right now, right here, with this group of players that I am proud to call my team.

Dwight Drane: I would rather lose with a team of guys who I deem to have more 'heart' (whatever that means) than win a Stanley Cup.

Don't take up space at the parade, then, pal.

I think you summed it up nicely for me. If that is a fault, then consider me faulty.

By the way, the only parade going down Delaware Ave this year is going to be the St Patty's Day one. Maybe Max can waive at you with his good hand.

I think you summed it up nicely for me. If that is a fault, then consider me faulty.

By the way, the only parade going down Delaware Ave this year is going to be the St Patty's Day one. Maybe Max can waive at you with his good hand.

honestly you aren't a sports fan or else you would be feel extremely privledged to be able to enjoy the stretch of hockey this team has played the last two years. Nolan's team was an average team with the best goalie to ever play the game. This team is the most talented team through four lines of forwards and 3 pairs of Dmen that Buffalo has seen in quite some time. The talent that Regier has brought to this club alone should generate your respect. I don't know where all the nasty personal opinions about Regier have come from, but all the guy has done since he has been here is get up to 3 ECF and one period away from 2 Stanley Cup Finals. In fact the only bad years since he has been around were a direct result of poor ownership. Lindy Ruff and Darcy Regier are the winningest tandem in franchise history that should say something about both of them. This team may not win the cup this year, but it won't be from a lack of trying. If they go down they will go down swining and I will be as proud as ever to say I that I am from BUFFALO.

You're opinion on the true character of our players and our team is worthless, as it is very evident reading your posts over this season that you do not know the meaning of the word character.

It is just like some of the blowhards on this board who think a team is soft because of the number of hits and fights they have. Toughness is only loosely correlated with how well you hit and how often you fight. Toughness is so much more. I've known 5'2" 80 lb women with more toughness than some of the windbags talking about the Sabres toughness or lackthereof from the safety of their keyboards.

You've let the years distort your memories of those teams from the 90s. 110% every night? Bullsh@%t. They had their ups and downs in intensity level just like this team, just like every team.

For the a team like the Sabres, the regular season is more a time to develop the character of the team than anything else. You cannot simply assemble a group of players and expect them to develop a true team character overnight, even when you've gotten them to buy into a system like Buffalo has. True character is developed over time and with the help of defining moments. Last years team character developed over time and came together at exactly the right time. This years team is facing adversity a little earlier and will benefit from it.

Rarely have teams gotten the chance to have such a defining moment as the Sabres received last night, and they will be better off for it. Because it's not who wins the fights or who gets the most hits in that matters, but how the Sabres look at their teammates. The fights were blustery theatrics more than anything, especially to the outside observer. But I guarantee those guys look at each other diffently now, with more respect.

This is a gritty AND talented team. I love rooting for the loveable underdog as much as anyone (just ask my wife, she can guess with nearly 100% certainty which team I am rooting for when I watch sports that do not involve Buffalo teams....the one who is losing). But you seem to hold their talent against them, as if it's something they should be ashamed of, and you definitely let it cloud how you view their character.

It simply astounds me that, in post after post, day after day, as the wins pile up, you cannot sit back and enjoy this team and give even a small iota of respect to them. It's sad really. These last few seasons have been incredibly enjoyable and you're missing it.

You're opinion on the true character of our players and our team is worthless, as it is very evident reading your posts over this season that you do not know the meaning of the word character.

It is just like some of the blowhards on this board who think a team is soft because of the number of hits and fights they have. Toughness is only loosely correlated with how well you hit and how often you fight. Toughness is so much more. I've known 5'2" 80 lb women with more toughness than some of the windbags talking about the Sabres toughness or lackthereof from the safety of their keyboards.

You've let the years distort your memories of those teams from the 90s. 110% every night? Bullsh@%t. They had their ups and downs in intensity level just like this team, just like every team.

For the a team like the Sabres, the regular season is more a time to develop the character of the team than anything else. You cannot simply assemble a group of players and expect them to develop a true team character overnight, even when you've gotten them to buy into a system like Buffalo has. True character is developed over time and with the help of defining moments. Last years team character developed over time and came together at exactly the right time. This years team is facing adversity a little earlier and will be better off for it.

Rarely have teams gotten the chance to have such a defining moment as the Sabres received last night, and they will be better off for it. Because it's not who wins the fights or who gets the most hits in that matters, but how the Sabres look at their teammates. The fights were blustery theatrics more than anything, especially to the outside observer. But I guarantee those guys look at each diffently now, with more respect.

This is a gritty AND talented team. I love rooting for the loveable underdog as much as anyone (just ask my wife, she can guess with nearly 100% certainly which team I am rooting for when I watch sports that do not involve Buffalo teams....the one who is losing). But you seem to hold their talent against them, as if it's something they should be ashamed of, and you definitely let it cloud how you view their character.

It simply astounds me that, in post after post, day after day, as the wins pile up, you cannot sit back and enjoy this team and give even a small iota of respect to them. It's sad really. These last few seasons have been incredibly enjoyable and you're missing it.

This is the best response to my blowhardedness I have seen all year. All valid points, well thought out, and I can feel your passion. I wish I could enjoy the ride, but I just can't believe. These guys played big time at the begining of the year when we were on a streak and I was proud of them. They brought an attitude that led me to believe they would not be beaten. If that attitude shows back up in the playoffs, then we have a chance to win.

I don't hold their skill against them. I think you can be skilled and tough. I knew the Bills of the late 80's and early 90's were going to win because they had enough guys who were skilled and tough. Kelly, Thurman, Talley, Tasker, Hull, etc....I didn't find myself having to convince myself that the team was good and were there for each other. With this team I do for the most part.

You are right though....I shouldn't be trying to bring anyone down from their "high". If I need to prove anything, it shouldn't be on an internet message board. I can just as easily go to Vegas and let my opinion be known with my wallet.

I'll shut up and let the season play out. I still owe someone here a jersey, so I'll check in periodically. Good Luck Sabres!

Archived