RJ Umberger has no class whatsoever

FogBat

If a team is indicative of its fans, then the Philadelphia Flyers have a knack for showing it.

For instance, I took a look at the flyersphans forum regarding our game with them last night. Aside from all the churlish and juvenile remarks that their fans posted last night, one of them quoted RJ Umberger quite proudly last night. Here's some of what he had to say about Brian Campbell when he was interviewed by some Philly announcer named Macnow:

"He [Campbell] didn't want to fight me last time... this time I gave him no choice..."

"I told him [Campbell] that if you want to hit me like that, you have to be willing to back it up when I can protect myself..."

Umberger is providing his own spin to the situation at hand. Umberger is not man enough to admit that he had his head down when Soupy knocked him out cold last April. He is also not man enough to admit that Soupy laid a clean hit on him.

So what does he go and do? Instigate a fight with Campbell. A lot of good that did him. He earned 17 minutes in penalties, only to watch us score a PP when he was in the box.

Yeah, I bet it was worth it to brag to Macnow about settling an old score in a losing cause. The effect would have been much different had the flyers won tonight.

He should be glad Campbell did that to him, he was pretty much a no body before it happened

Now he is the main ingredient of Cream of Umberger Soup and he'll always be known as the guy who got smoked by cambell

I guess maybe we should all hold the guy who hit Connolly accountable, and hope Connolly starts a fight with him next time he plays Ottawa. Instead we all know that it was Connollys fault for having his head down

He should be glad Campbell did that to him, he was pretty much a no body before it happened

Now he is the main ingredient of Cream of Umberger Soup and he'll always be known as the guy who got smoked by cambell

I guess maybe we should all hold the guy who hit Connolly accountable, and hope Connolly starts a fight with him next time he plays Ottawa. Instead we all know that it was Connollys fault for having his head down

There's no comparing Connolly to Umberger whatsoever.

I was listening to Hockey This Morning on XM Radio this morning. Scott Laughlin did his recap of the game, and he brought up the Campbell-Umberger fight. Basically, he mentioned that Campbell said he wanted to put the whole thing behind him. It may have been Soupy's way of saying, "RJ, let's move on". Let's just hope that RJ Umberger has the will inside of him to move on as well.

:lol: That was a good one!

I think Campbell is a good player, and he really gained a lot of confidence and kinda came into his own during last year's playoff run, all of which can be summed up in the crushing blow to Umberger. But I was really surprised that he was sent to the All Star over some other guys in the league. Without the Umberger smack down, Campbell would still be the good player he is, but he wouldn't have nearly as much recognition.

i hope Umberger never moves on and tries to pick a fight every time we play them. ill take the power play goal, no sweat.

talk about selfish and stupid. way to put the team first Dumberger. what a little baby. did he never play hockey until last year? does he not know its a hitting sport? the way he stupidly had his head down when he got hit, it makes me wonder.

what a moron.

i hope Umberger never moves on and tries to pick a fight every time we play them. ill take the power play goal, no sweat.

talk about selfish and stupid. way to put the team first Dumberger. what a little baby. did he never play hockey until last year? does he not know its a hitting sport? the way he stupidly had his head down when he got hit, it makes me wonder.

what a moron.

As Bill Engvall would say, "You can't fix stupid."

BTW, Umberger: "Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere's your sign".

Why?

Do I have to elaborate on that? Aside from the fact that both of them got caught with their heads down, the attributes they possess are like night and day.

Do I have to elaborate on that? Aside from the fact that both of them got caught with their heads down, the attributes they possess are like night and day.

He wasn't comparing Umberger to Connolly, he was comparing their hits, which were pretty much the same. Both players were foolishly skating in the middle of the ice with their heads down. Both players paid the price for it. The difference is that Buffalo realizes that the hit was clean, whereas Philly won't admit that it was.

The difference is that Buffalo realizes that the hit was clean, whereas Philly won't admit that it was.

Yeah, just like Dallas won't admit that Brett Hull's skate was in the crease. Anyway, enough of that tangent.

From what I've been hearing, Evgeni Malkin's been keeping his head down. Pens' fans are crying for a tough guy (Wait a minute! They have Jarkko Ruutu, Finland's version of Claude Lemieux.)

So that excuses Connolly from stepping up for himself? He's still a man with pride. You don't think Connolly wants to earn the respect of his teammates? Of players around the league?

Briere is skilled like Connolly Yet he got his message across very well. You haven't seen too many players taking runs at him have you. It's amazing how much room you have to skate when opposing teams are worried about pulling splinters out of their johnsons.

So that excuses Connolly from stepping up for himself? He's still a man with pride. You don't think Connolly wants to earn the respect of his teammates? Of players around the league?

Briere is skilled like Connolly Yet he got his message across very well. You haven't seen too many players taking runs at him have you. It's amazing how much room you have to skate when opposing teams are worried about pulling splinters out of their johnsons.

Yes, but, see, Connolly is not being the jerk that Umberger was about mixing it up with Campbell. Umberger let it be known that it was premeditated. AFAIAC, 17 minutes wasn't enough. He should have received a game misconduct for starting that fight with Soupy.

Umberger should count his lucky stars that he wasn't checked like Jagr was by Jarkko Ruutu during last year's Olympics. Had he mixed it up with Ruutu, Veggieburger would have been shipped off to a PETA convention.

Peters went after a guy who had his face broken apart less than a year ago and hasn't had a fight since. I think he is man enough to not do that on purpose, in fact it looked like Fedoryk was telling him that fact as they squared off because there weren't any haymakers.

Guys get checked clean and start fights on the same shift. I don't blame Umberger for wanting to go. If you are big enough to take a guy out, you're big enough to fight. I agree that it just brought up more replays of him getting nailed, but he deserved a chance to fight and Campbell said himself he has avoided it for 2 games.

Peters went after a guy who had his face broken apart less than a year ago and hasn't had a fight since. I think he is man enough to not do that on purpose, in fact it looked like Fedoryk was telling him that fact as they squared off because there weren't any haymakers.

Guys get checked clean and start fights on the same shift. I don't blame Umberger for wanting to go. If you are big enough to take a guy out, you're big enough to fight. I agree that it just brought up more replays of him getting nailed, but he deserved a chance to fight and Campbell said himself he has avoided it for 2 games.

Yeah, but my assessment of the situation is that Umberger was holding a grudge against Soupy. I question if that's even professional -- let alone unsportsmanlike.

As for Peters, are you referring to the fight he had against Brian McGrattan? I haven't heard McGrattan get into a scrap with anyone this season.

I think I get it now. Have Peters and McGrattan not fought against each other since Petey hammered mac's face last year?

Yeah, but my assessment of the situation is that Umberger was holding a grudge against Soupy. I question if that's even professional -- let alone unsportsmanlike.

As for Peters, are you referring to the fight he had against Brian McGrattan? I haven't heard McGrattan get into a scrap with anyone this season.

I think I get it now. Have Peters and McGrattan not fought against each other since Petey hammered mac's face last year?

I was talking of Peters' fight last night. He fought a guy who hasn't been hit since October because he fractured his face in a fight. Peters instigated a fight with him. I am hoping that Peters didn't realize that the guy just came back from reconstructive face surgery a few weeks ago. If he did that is classless. Knowing Peters, he didn't know that was the case, and the amount the 2 guys talked before the fight, I can see Fedoruk telling him about the face because the two just wrestled and aimed for the back of the head with short punches.

If you want to see a grudge...watch a replay of the early 90's Sabres against the Flames the game after Jamie Macoun broke LaFontaines jaw with a careless stick. Months went by, but the Sabres chased the guy into the bench and there was a mini-bench clearing brawl. Donald Audette was fighting....one of the Sabres was in the Calgary bench throwing punches......now that is a grudge!

Don't worry about Cambpell. Eveyone is a winner. Umberger has to make sure nobody runs him like that again, Campbell showed he can protect himself and not look like Peter Pan doing it, Sabres won the game. I'm worried that this new kid Kaleta is going to be too much of a rat for our team to support. We may have a few more of our guys getting run if that kid plays as hard as they say.

Don't worry about Cambpell. Eveyone is a winner. Umberger has to make sure nobody runs him like that again, Campbell showed he can protect himself and not look like Peter Pan doing it, Sabres won the game. I'm worried that this new kid Kaleta is going to be too much of a rat for our team to support. We may have a few more of our guys getting run if that kid plays as hard as they say.

If Umberger is skating like an a-hole with his head down like that again and someone has the chance to cream him, he should and probably will get creamed. I don't think there are many guys in the league who are scared of RJ Umberger, and half would probably say who, oh yeah, he's the guy Brian Campbell lit up.

As for Kaleta, he can take care of himself and his teamates and with Peters and Mair still in the lineup (and Hecht now <_< ) teams will think twice about running our players. Kaleta is a smart player, I have seen him play plenty here in Rochester. He doesn't take dumb penalties and he usually draws the opposition into them. I am sure his adrenaline will be through the roof tomorrow and he may make a few mistakes early, but all in all I think he will show what a gamer he is.

first if your picking a fight with a guy for a clean bodycheck it just shows everyone that you got smoked and you can't get back at the guy with a check of your own. Different story if your forcing that fight for a dirty hit. Also Campbell wasn't avoiding him the other games he is quoted as saying I told him no cause we were short on defensmen during thous games. I mean how pissed do you think Ruff would have been to lose Campbell for 5 mins or more with only 4 or 5 defensemen in the game?

Isn't Umberger going after Campbell just how hockey works? A part of the "code". You get me, I'll get you.

From the avatar you may learn why some are taking it too personally.

It's just part of the game. When the fight started I said it's about time. It was a bit disturbing to learn that Umberger had challenged Campbell in the earlier meetings this season and Campbell backed off. Campbell has to learn that if your going to throw your body around and lay people out, legal or not, there will be repercussions. Ask Ovech. Campbell avoinding the confrontation drops him down a notch in my opinion.

And let's not bash RJ for being "premeditated" than defend Peters. The only reason he is on the team is to fight and when he steps over the boards it's to fight.

Yes, but, see, Connolly is not being the jerk that Umberger was about mixing it up with Campbell. Umberger let it be known that it was premeditated. AFAIAC, 17 minutes wasn't enough. He should have received a game misconduct for starting that fight with Soupy.

Umberger should count his lucky stars that he wasn't checked like Jagr was by Jarkko Ruutu during last year's Olympics. Had he mixed it up with Ruutu, Veggieburger would have been shipped off to a PETA convention.

That reflects poorly on Campbell not Umberger. Campbell knew it was coming and he should have been ready to go. He should have even initiated it. Hockey is a physical game and Campbell avoiding a confrontation doesn't do anything to help the Sabres reputation of being soft.

Archived