Tim Connolly: How good is this guy

ko12010

I've just been going through all the Sabres game highlights from last season, not just the playoffs, but all the early games in 05 as well. I have to say that Timmy has the most stickhandling skill and offensive prowess of any guy that's come into the league in the last 10 years. I'm including Crosby and Ovechkin in this.(they may be better overall players and athletes, but I'm talking offensive skill)

Connolly is frickin sick. I have never seen prettier goals. If anyone cares to look go back to 05 November 11th against the Leafs. Timmy scores on such a sweet move, similar to the one he put on Emery and Alfredsson in the Ottawa playoff series. A lot of Timmy's goals came from him carrying it all the way from the neutral zone to the crease. I love Vanek and know he is young and will be a superstar very soon (very close now) but I don't think I've ever seen him finish off a toe drag through the defender's legs move. Timmy seems to do this move with ease, usually throwing in an extra fake as well. I feel if Tim can stay healthy he can be a bonafide superstar in this league and carry us to many cups. I have heard comparisons to talent like a young Federov more than once. Anyone agree? Any other comparisons?

In summation, Timmy is probably my favorite Sabre besides Miller(even though I really don't have any favorites, I love all those guys) but I've always liked him. The point that I am trying to make is that I think our guys see this skill level in Tim and what he brings to the ice. I think the resurrection of Tim Connolly is going to put this team over the edge for a cup, even with all the negativity surrounding the team with the most points in the league. (We simply do not usually look like we will win the cup on some nights, as opposed to last year when we just steadily got better all year)

I think Timmy brings a little of the 05-06 Sabres who should have had the cup into this 06-07 squad.

62 Goals 138 Assists 388 games.

Ovechkin should have 62 goals this year, and Crosby will have 190 points by next February.

Connelly is a soft, overrated, underachieving, overpaid, 16 year old South Buffalo acting kind of guy.

:beer:

He WAS that way. Last year he came into his own, but yeah he's soft for getting his brain concussed.

He was one of the best players for this team in the playoffs and was absolutely critical to our success last year in our bid for the Cup. Ovechkin and Crosby are both the focal points of their respective offensive attacks, while the Sabres play an absolute team game, so having Timmy back would just pack their offensive attack that much more potent.

Ovechkin should have 62 goals this year, and Crosby will have 190 points by next February.

Connelly is a soft, overrated, underachieving, overpaid, 16 year old South Buffalo acting kind of guy.

And why would you compare Connolly to those two phenoms??? Nobody ever said Timmy was the second coming of Gretzky. I agree that up until last year, he was an underachiever and overrated, but he really turned it on in 05-06, especially in the playoffs (11pts in 8 games). The new NHL suits him perfectly and he's still young (26 years old) and should be entering his prime if he can get/stay healthy. Of course he isn't Crosby or Ovechkin...few players are that successful that young.

i admire your love for connolly Mr. Post-starter, but tim is not going to put us over the top. i don't care how much they take away the physical part of the game, you still need hard-nosed playoff-tested players for the SC Playoffs.

I'm not saying timmy won't help,but he is not the key that these guys need to put them over the top.

i admire your love for connolly Mr. Post-starter, but tim is not going to put us over the top. i don't care how much they take away the physical part of the game, you still need hard-nosed playoff-tested players for the SC Playoffs.

I'm not saying timmy won't help,but he is not the key that these guys need to put them over the top.

I think you are quite wrong on that point. Timmy could really help us on special teams, its been pretty obvious this season that we miss his stick handling and passing skills in the power play. He can and will be a major cog in a SC run. After the hype he had coming into the league I now think TC is underrated and underappreciated.

1) We made it all the way to the ECF with a roster overloaded with non-playoff tested players. I think that proved that a deep playoff run can be made with a group of young guys.

2) Connolly had 11pts in 8 playoff games last year. Now assuming he learned to keep his head up cutting through center ice, it can't be ruled out that he'll match those kinds of statistics.

3) I would agree, however, that it always helps to have tougher guys that can grind out a game, but like I said I think our team last year proved that you can make a great run with a bunch of youngsters if the timing is right(and they would have proved more if it weren't for injuries).

I've just been going through all the Sabres game highlights from last season, not just the playoffs, but all the early games in 05 as well. I have to say that Timmy has the most stickhandling skill and offensive prowess of any guy that's come into the league in the last 10 years. I'm including Crosby and Ovechkin in this.(they may be better overall players and athletes, but I'm talking offensive skill)

Connolly is frickin sick. I have never seen prettier goals. If anyone cares to look go back to 05 November 11th against the Leafs. Timmy scores on such a sweet move, similar to the one he put on Emery and Alfredsson in the Ottawa playoff series. A lot of Timmy's goals came from him carrying it all the way from the neutral zone to the crease. I love Vanek and know he is young and will be a superstar very soon (very close now) but I don't think I've ever seen him finish off a toe drag through the defender's legs move. Timmy seems to do this move with ease, usually throwing in an extra fake as well. I feel if Tim can stay healthy he can be a bonafide superstar in this league and carry us to many cups. I have heard comparisons to talent like a young Federov more than once. Anyone agree? Any other comparisons?

In summation, Timmy is probably my favorite Sabre besides Miller(even though I really don't have any favorites, I love all those guys) but I've always liked him. The point that I am trying to make is that I think our guys see this skill level in Tim and what he brings to the ice. I think the resurrection of Tim Connolly is going to put this team over the edge for a cup, even with all the negativity surrounding the team with the most points in the league. (We simply do not usually look like we will win the cup on some nights, as opposed to last year when we just steadily got better all year)

I think Timmy brings a little of the 05-06 Sabres who should have had the cup into this 06-07 squad.

Ko -- you speak with much wisdom. That goal against the Leafs was unreal. Maybe the best goal of the season. I can still hear the TSN (or was it CBC) announcer yelling "Holy mackarel what a goal!!" -- and he's seen plenty of nice goals. And his performance in 7-6 was nothing short of legendary.

Beyond those instances, Timmy is a difference maker on both the PP and PK. He also elevates the play of his linemates. I don't think it was a coincidence that our PP and overall offense got constipated when he got hurt last year, and I expect him to be a real factor in this year's playoffs.

Timmy was indeed soft, lazy and underachieving, but he realized that hockey was precious to him. He then got his act together, worked his butt off, and turned himself into a star out of sheer determination. Who can't appreciate a real-life tale of redemption, especially one that comes with frequent electrifying goals?

Also, he's from upstate NY.

If Timmy still burns inside to be the best he can be, and if he has learned to keep his head up -- watch out. Watching his interviews the past week or so I think he's got the desire and he's dying to get back out there and help the team win. That's what's gonna happen.

Tim Connolly has averaged 12 goals in 5 full years of NHL play....shall I start a list of those players that have outdone him?

Connolley is great in an All-Star Game format...he's gotten rocked into 2078 3 times in 3 years. He is far from a leader and I would trade him for Rhett Warrener right now.

For such a conservative guy, Darcy blew it big time by giving this guy his contract. It was so rediculous that I would trace his bank account to make sure there wasn't a kickback.

Take the hate down a notch.

Tim played about 250 NHL games before he was 22 yrs old.

Which is ridiculous.

so first make a list of guys who haven't done that.

The guy starts a topic that says Connolly is a bigger highlight player than Crosby and Ovechkin.

1) Both of those guys started in their teens

2) Crosby has matched Connolly in points in 130 games vs. Tiny Tim's 388

3) Ovechkin has scored more goals in his last 90 games than Connolly has in his life

Some of the comparisons made about this years' Sabres are pretty disgusting. It's like a guy who's in love with a 150lb chic who has to go around showing her picture to everyone saying how she is the hottest girl in the world.

I've got to agree with DD. Too many folks are waiting for the return of Connolly to right all and all ills this team has. Gaustad out? Just wait until Connolly gets back! PP suffering? Just wait until Connolly gets back!

Connolly had one good season last year. There's no guarantee he could do it again even if he were perfefctly healthy. Before last year Connolly had done absolutely nothing. Lots of players catch lightning in a bottle and have one great season and sink back into the morass. I wouldn't get so hot over him until he at least is able to keep the pace he set last year twice in a row.

I've got to agree with DD. Too many folks are waiting for the return of Connolly to right all and all ills this team has. Gaustad out? Just wait until Connolly gets back! PP suffering? Just wait until Connolly gets back!

Connolly had one good season last year. There's no guarantee he could do it again even if he were perfefctly healthy. Before last year Connolly had done absolutely nothing. Lots of players catch lightning in a bottle and have one great season and sink back into the morass. I wouldn't get so hot over him until he at least is able to keep the pace he set last year twice in a row.

Who ever said Timmy was replacing Gaustad?

The belief that the pp will be improved, at least vs where it was in Nov - Jan, or solidified to where it is the last 2 weeks is pretty well founded. I fail to see why you don't think he'll help with the pp. He is one of the few players on the Sabres that can consistently skate the puck into the zone even when the other team is stacking the blueline. His passing is very crisp and it will tend to give the point men more time to take their shots as forwards are more concerned that there will be an odd man situation down low if they try to rush him.

I am not overly concerned that Timmy will be a 1 hit wonder. He has always had incredible hands, the issue prior to the lockout was he never LEARNED the game. He was a dominant player in junior but not to the extent of Crosby. He then came into the NHL on a horrible team and was thrown into a role that he wasn't ready for on a team that did NOT know how to develop talent. They could select it just fine, there are many players that became very good players after leaving the Isles, but I can only think of Palffy and, if you're stretching the definition of very good, DiPietro as players that blossomed in that organization.

Timmy made absolutely boneheaded plays because he didn't understand the game. He played a SIGNIFICANTLY smarter game last year than he did prior to his 1st concussion. I didn't notice his patented curl inside the blueline and then drop the pass to the forward that was covering you for a breakaway once last year. In '02-'03 it was rare to go 3 games without seeing it, and thus his -28 that year.

At the beginning of last season, I was saying Timmy COULD become a very good player, but I HIGHLY doubted it because he simply didn't understand the game. His play last year convinced me that he finally figured it out. Look at tape from him prior to the lockout and also post lockout. It's 2 totally different players.

Is it possible he'll play scared, which he also seemed to do prior to his 1st concussion, yes. I don't expect him to, but it is possible. Having essentially missed 2 complete seasons due to 2 concussions could make him play tentative. I don't expect it to because he played a confident strong game AFTER his 1st concussion. I'd expect him to play the same way after his 2nd. Heck, he might even play a little smarter now and not go blindly into the middle when he can't see what's there.

Saying that he would replace Gaustad is obviously extreme, but I've heard this stuff on the local sports talk, that adding speed (not necessarily TC) would counter the toughness lost with Gaustad.

Anyway, I don't disagree with a lot of what you say, but I need to see that level of play for more than one season before I'm ready to say that what we saw last season is indicative of the player's over-all make-up. So far he's just a guy with several mediocre seasons and one good one.

1) We made it all the way to the ECF with a roster overloaded with non-playoff tested players. I think that proved that a deep playoff run can be made with a group of young guys.

2) Connolly had 11pts in 8 playoff games last year. Now assuming he learned to keep his head up cutting through center ice, it can't be ruled out that he'll match those kinds of statistics.

3) I would agree, however, that it always helps to have tougher guys that can grind out a game, but like I said I think our team last year proved that you can make a great run with a bunch of youngsters if the timing is right(and they would have proved more if it weren't for injuries).

don't forget that last years team made it with mckee and grier, which we did not replace in the offseason. look, i'm not saying the roster needs to be re-worked circa Ted-Nolan type hockey team, but I am not banking on Connolly to put us over the top. he may help the PP, but we need more than a PP type guy right now.

As for your 2nd point, guys that dangle like tim out on the ice inevitably will always have a higher chance of getting caught with their head down...

don't forget that last years team made it with mckee and grier, which we did not replace in the offseason. look, i'm not saying the roster needs to be re-worked circa Ted-Nolan type hockey team, but I am not banking on Connolly to put us over the top. he may help the PP, but we need more than a PP type guy right now.

As for your 2nd point, guys that dangle like tim out on the ice inevitably will always have a higher chance of getting caught with their head down...

Enough with McKee and Grier. Talk about overrated.

In 81 games last season, Grier had 23 points and was a -7. Drury, with Griere on his line was a -11, this year he's having a career year and is a +11. This season the Sabres have played Gaustad (22 pts, +11), Novotny (13 pts, -1), Paille (8 pts, -1) and Kotalik (36 pts, -1) with Drury. All are posting better numbers (total points and/ or +/-) than Grier. The only forward who is even close to Grier's -7 from last year is Adam Mair, who is -5. Hell, even Peters is "only" a -1.

In 81 games last season, McKee had 16 points and was even. Nathan Paestch has played 41 games this year, has 14 points and is a +5.

From a team point, the Sabres have more points on February 13th than they did last year. Ryan Miller stats are almost identical to last years.

So the Sabres are scoring more goals, allowing approximately the same amount of goals as last season, and posting more wins than they did last year, without McKee and Grier. And Grier's primary linemate, Drury is thriving without him. In other words, the loss of McKee's and Grier's "toughness" isn't translating into loss of production.

Gaustad had more than made up for Grier's production last year. Now that he's out, Paille looks like a more-than-able replacement. Paetsch's development has accelerated as of late. He's already replaced McKee's regular season statistical production. Both Paille and Paetsch are tough, gitty players. So there's your replacement for McKee and Grier.

Now consider adding Connolly, a point-a-game center during last season's playoffs to the highest scoring team in the league. They have four centers who can score and pass. They have so many more options with Connolly than they do with one-dimensional players like Grier and McKee. Connolly makes the Sabres a matchup nightmare, and that's a huge advantage in the playoffs.

BTW, Connolly was NOT skating with his head down when Schaefer hit him. TC ducked behind Kotalik who was screening TC's view of Schaefer coming right at him. As soon as TC went behind AK, he saw PS and it was already too late.... Wrong place, wrong time...

Enough with McKee and Grier. Talk about overrated.

In 81 games last season, Grier had 23 points and was a -7. Drury, with Griere on his line was a -11, this year he's having a career year and is a +11. This season the Sabres have played Gaustad (22 pts, +11), Novotny (13 pts, -1), Paille (8 pts, -1) and Kotalik (36 pts, -1) with Drury. All are posting better numbers (total points and/ or +/-) than Grier. The only forward who is even close to Grier's -7 from last year is Adam Mair, who is -5. Hell, even Peters is "only" a -1.

In 81 games last season, McKee had 16 points and was even. Nathan Paestch has played 41 games this year, has 14 points and is a +5.

From a team point, the Sabres have more points on February 13th than they did last year. Ryan Miller stats are almost identical to last years.

So the Sabres are scoring more goals, allowing approximately the same amount of goals as last season, and posting more wins than they did last year, without McKee and Grier. And Grier's primary linemate, Drury is thriving without him. In other words, the loss of McKee's and Grier's "toughness" isn't translating into loss of production.

Gaustad had more than made up for Grier's production last year. Now that he's out, Paille looks like a more-than-able replacement. Paetsch's development has accelerated as of late. He's already replaced McKee's regular season statistical production. Both Paille and Paetsch are tough, gitty players. So there's your replacement for McKee and Grier.

Now consider adding Connolly, a point-a-game center during last season's playoffs to the highest scoring team in the league. They have four centers who can score and pass. They have so many more options with Connolly than they do with one-dimensional players like Grier and McKee. Connolly makes the Sabres a matchup nightmare, and that's a huge advantage in the playoffs.

I think this is a strange assessment of Mike Grier.

Grier with Drury probably averaged over 3 minutes a game on the PK last year and were just unreal with blocked shots and their kills. That kind of work takes a toll off of the offensive production numbers. So when you look and see that the PK has gone from about 4th in the league to about 18th it is a little hard to defend the claim that these guys have been replaced.

Wow, a lot of strong feelings about Timmy. There's no guarentee he'll be the same player he was last year, but I think he could return to that. Remember, prior to last year, he lost an entire year due to a concussion, and came back. I'm not putting my money on him this year, but given time, he could be back next year. Just wondering too, if we had Connolly last year in the Carolina series, anyone think we would have been in finals? We were only a period away.

If folks want to say we need a 'tougher' team this year than last year, well fine. But the ONLY reason we lost last year was having to play defensemen like Jilson, Janik, Paetsch, and yes, Rory Fitzpatrick instead of the guys we normally would have had in there.

I sure don't miss Mike Grier, even the play we got from him was probably the best he's ever played. Heck, Drury has a career high in goals already, that's addition by subtraction IMO.

Archived