Drury Is More Valuable Than Briere

bob_sauve28

I'd have to go with Drury too because he gives you aspects of all parts of the game. I notice Briere gets tossed from a lot of faceoffs too. I do think Briere is better offensively, which will probably make him harder to resign, but then I hope Connolly is 100% by next year, and if we weren't able to hold onto Briere, Connolly could take his spot.

I'd agree that drury is a more valuable all around player, but briere is a more valuable offensive playmaker. Translation: BOTH ARE EQUALLY VALUABLE IN DIFFERENT ASPECTS! Best case scenario: keep both. Reality: Keep the one who demands a better contract.

If it came down to keeping one or the other and Drury was going to cost more, I'd keep Drury, as long as its not a ridiculous amount more. I just hope we win the cup so that losing anyone won't seem like it is in vain and we missed our one big opportunity to get the cup

If it came down to keeping one or the other and Drury was going to cost more, I'd keep Drury, as long as its not a ridiculous amount more. I just hope we win the cup so that losing anyone won't seem like it is in vain and we missed our one big opportunity to get the cup

as Brettzky said, keep Drury based on what develops with Connolly's recovery... If he did indeed suffer major neck/jaw muscle damage and a minor or no concussion at all, chances are he'll be good to go for 10 years after he fully regains his hockey shape. If that;s what develops, you can put all your eggs in the Drury basket. IF connolly never recovers from his neck injury and/or suffers a career ending concussion this playoffs, you have to consider dividing those eggs between drury and briere... I'd keep drury over briere too, if it came down to it, but i'd find a way to sign them both first, at all costs.

as Brettzky said, keep Drury based on what develops with Connolly's recovery... If he did indeed suffer major neck/jaw muscle damage and a minor or no concussion at all, chances are he'll be good to go for 10 years after he fully regains his hockey shape. If that;s what develops, you can put all your eggs in the Drury basket. IF connolly never recovers from his neck injury and/or suffers a career ending concussion this playoffs, you have to consider dividing those eggs between drury and briere... I'd keep drury over briere too, if it came down to it, but i'd find a way to sign them both first, at all costs.

That is a good point both of you make. Connelly is an X factor here that must be considered.

That is a good point both of you make. Connelly is an X factor here that must be considered.

I don't think I would want to make any moves based on Tim Connolly's health. I know the team and their doctors are going to say he is no more at risk than any other player. I still wouldn't say Tim replaces Briere. I think as a team they can replace most of the offense and would, by subtraction, become better defensively. I would rather rely on the increase in power play time for players like Max and Vanek for the offense.

No one should kid themselves that losing either of them wouldn't be a major loss. They are both great players. Neither of them will be seamlessly replaced, either from inside the system or outside. I liked McKee, but this will be a much bigger hit. Bottom line is that with a hard cap, this is just going to be part of life as a hockey fan. Ultimately I think the hard cap works to the Sabres' benefit, since it puts us on a level playing field with the Rangers, Detroit, Toronto, etc.

It will hurt when it happens, but it doesn't have to be the end of the world. The Senators lost 2 of the best players in the league last year (Chara, whom I think is a top 5 player in the NHL, and Havlat, who is pretty GD good also), not to mention Dominik, and they are still a very strong team. If Emery plays well in the playoffs they could knock off anyone in the east, including the Sabres.

If you can only keep one I'm going with Drury. Face offs, defensive play, power play and penalty kill, plays against enemy top line and he leads the team in goal scoring.

Or in other words Drury is the true Captain of the team whereas Briere might be the best player on the team. It's tough deciding but I tend to agree that Drury might be more valuable to the team.

I wish we could keep both. I think it is a distinct possiblity that we could lose both. I hope that we can keep at least one but I think that in the end it will really be that we will only keep one if we can keep either. Drury is probably the one that is more valuable to the team even though I like Danny alot. As for Timmy, I think he is kinda like fine china at this point until he demonstrates more durability. I don't think we should bank on him being a fixture in the lineup. Even with the cap increase, we'll only see one at most. I just can't see the team thinking about sinking that much into just 2 guys and turning into Tampa. Sorry babbling. Tired.

Drury = "natural - born" Leader

Briere = "natural - born" Scorer

Judging on darcy's preivious personnel decisions... I think it comes down to which guy the Sabres value more and believe to be the smarter long term investment. as to any of us being able to figure that out.. good luck! Only Darcy knows for sure, or so we hope!

without drury who is our veteran experience? i dont even know who else has any experience, but im guessing that the next best experience on the roster is Spacek... i could be wrong.

In the nhl the briere type mold seems to be a dime a dozen, but when a team is making a run they seem to look for playoff experience (check), proven winner (check), and a solid guy who can do the intangibles (check). IMHO i dont know if we could pick up a winner like drury anywhere else, but a goal scorer/playmaker seems to be much easier to find.

ill still miss the magic though danny :worthy:

In the nhl the briere type mold seems to be a dime a dozen

WOW...way to underestimate the value of Briere to the Sabres. A "dime a dozen"?? I'm not saying the Sabres will fall apart next year if Breire is not here, but you can't easily find a player who can score 85-90+ points.

Archived