Good job Atl Sabres fans and those that traveled last night !

envirojeff

I could hear you loud and proud! There were many times when I could hear "Let's go Buff-a-lo" chants!! It sounded like the Atl fans were very Milk-Toast.

Jeff

I was with a guy from ATL that goes a lot and he told me he's never heard that many fans for an opposing team. =)

It sounded like a Sabres' home game vs. the Leafs. Mostly I heard cheering for Buffalo, with some small eruptions when Atlanta scored.

Yeah, that's about it. Few things worth pointing out:

1. The arena was more than half empty when the puck dropped. My wife was watching on TV and she said she noticed it. I think her exact words were, "Yeah, I knew you were going to comment on that one when you got home."

2. The Thrasher's fans that *were* there from the get-go seemed to know the game. The ones around us were very cordial and were joking around with us throughout the game. Well, except for the "He's a !" guy behind me, but the crowd got on him because there were kids in the section.

3. There were a *lot* of Sabres fans. The "Let's go Buffalo" chant was quite load. When the Thrashers fans woke up, the chant morphed into "Let's go Buffalantalo!" as they seemed to drown each other out.

4. They were handing tickets out to some of the fans and selling playoff seats if you buy a season package next year totalling more than $250.

Now, they were selling half-off seats to this game while I can't get tix for a game this spring while I'm home for a week or so. My assumption is that they do that when they know there's going to be a large number of fans for the other team, in an effort to offset? Any correlation?

-Jeff

Yeah, that's about it. Few things worth pointing out:

1. The arena was more than half empty when the puck dropped. My wife was watching on TV and she said she noticed it. I think her exact words were, "Yeah, I knew you were going to comment on that one when you got home."

2. The Thrasher's fans that *were* there from the get-go seemed to know the game. The ones around us were very cordial and were joking around with us throughout the game. Well, except for the "He's a !" guy behind me, but the crowd got on him because there were kids in the section.

3. There were a *lot* of Sabres fans. The "Let's go Buffalo" chant was quite load. When the Thrashers fans woke up, the chant morphed into "Let's go Buffalantalo!" as they seemed to drown each other out.

4. They were handing tickets out to some of the fans and selling playoff seats if you buy a season package next year totalling more than $250.

Now, they were selling half-off seats to this game while I can't get tix for a game this spring while I'm home for a week or so. My assumption is that they do that when they know there's going to be a large number of fans for the other team, in an effort to offset? Any correlation?

-Jeff

I actually felt a little sad watching the Thrashers feed, their horrible announcers notwithstanding, because they are making an earnest effort to get fans there and they are putting a great hockey product on the ice, and a half-empty arena sucks. Looks like it did fill out, though.

And they are not a carpet-bagging team like the Canes so it's a lot less easy to hate them. Hopefully they'll begin to be more of a draw as the season wears and they close in on the playoffs.

I noticed the same Buffalo crowd in DC and it seems like in Columbus and other places they're popping up, too. I imagine as long as it's not out of hand it's a good thing.

I paid about $80 for cheap seats for next weekend at HSBC against Boston. I can certainly sympathize with your difficulties getting tickets. If the Sabres were to somehow draw the Devils, Rangers or Islanders in the playoffs you can bet your ass I'll be on the phone trying to get tickets around here. No use bothering to try and get them back home -- they'll be too pricey!

I actually felt a little sad watching the Thrashers feed, their horrible announcers notwithstanding, because they are making an earnest effort to get fans there and they are putting a great hockey product on the ice, and a half-empty arena sucks. Looks like it did fill out, though.

And they are not a carpet-bagging team like the Canes so it's a lot less easy to hate them. Hopefully they'll begin to be more of a draw as the season wears and they close in on the playoffs.

I noticed the same Buffalo crowd in DC and it seems like in Columbus and other places they're popping up, too. I imagine as long as it's not out of hand it's a good thing.

I paid about $80 for cheap seats for next weekend at HSBC against Boston. I can certainly sympathize with your difficulties getting tickets. If the Sabres were to somehow draw the Devils, Rangers or Islanders in the playoffs you can bet your ass I'll be on the phone trying to get tickets around here. No use bothering to try and get them back home -- they'll be too pricey!

Right right. If I hear of a Sabres/Thrashers series, you damn well better believe I'll be on that phone! Bit more respect for the Thrasher's loyal after last night. Canes? Yeah not so much.

-Jeff

The arena was more than half empty when the puck dropped. My wife was watching on TV and she said she noticed it. I think her exact words were, "Yeah, I knew you were going to comment on that one when you got home.

Think traffic was probably the reason for this. Atlanta traffic is awful.... Good amt of sabres fans there. Not sure how many made the trek from Buffalo and how many were Buffalo transplants.

On TV, what I kept hearing was "Let's go Thrashers- LET'S GO BUF-FA-LO!" They weren't so much trying to drown each other out, but the Sabres fans were letting the Thrashers cheer alone, then following it up with a more enthusiastic cheer of their own.

I heard a lot of GOOSE! calls tool.

On TV, what I kept hearing was "Let's go Thrashers- LET'S GO BUF-FA-LO!" They weren't so much trying to drown each other out, but the Sabres fans were letting the Thrashers cheer alone, then following it up with a more enthusiastic cheer of their own.

It also sounded like there was a group right outside the broadcast booth (Atlanta's feed). There was one guy I could hear almost as clearly as the announcers.

Think traffic was probably the reason for this. Atlanta traffic is awful.... Good amt of sabres fans there. Not sure how many made the trek from Buffalo and how many were Buffalo transplants.

they gotta be transplants....i've hung out there a few times and it seems like everybody you meet is from somewhere else...usually the northeast!

i know the group i went with, which was 25 strong, are all transplants.

the arena was mostly empty for the first period, but on top of traffic normally sucking, there was a fatal accident on one of the main highways last night. after that it was pretty full... for a tues night game when its under 45 out (people down here dont leave the house if its under 50 degrees outside)

just a quick observation from last seasons games and last nights as well: the thrashers DO have some very dedicated fans, especially for a southern expansion team. and while most of them are "nice", very few of them have a sense of humor that allows good natured ribbing on both sides. we use no vulgarities in our heckles and arent obnoxious about it, but the only 2 guys that responded at all were a couple of cowboys who actually each challanged us to a fist fight outside. they got laughed at heartliy. they also dont cheer that much unless they are up by 2 or more goals. other than that, they sit in their seats and watch quietly. dont get me wrong, im not expecting anyone to be an obnoxious jerk, but.. they bring nothing.

the only thing that really frustrated me was running into a group of Thrashers fans, all in Thrashers jerseys, that came to talk to us because they all grew up in Orchard Park. i understand they've been living in Atlanta for a few years and all, BUT SO F-ING WHAT?!?

luckily, we ran into them after the game and got to ask them how THEIR team did! :)

Yeah there was some of that, too, but it was hard to make out which team the "Let's Go" ended with.

Subject of transplants vs. making-the-trek... mostly transplants, although there were two cars in front me of me on the way out with NYS plates, both had West Herr thingies around the plate.

Also - Guy in front of me was wearing an old school blue and gold Sabres jacket, but wore a Thrashers jersey and was clearly on the side of Atlanta.

Lastly - those cowboy guys are like that. Not much of a sense of humor when "them there's fightin' words."

-Jeff

the only thing that really frustrated me was running into a group of Thrashers fans, all in Thrashers jerseys, that came to talk to us because they all grew up in Orchard Park. i understand they've been living in Atlanta for a few years and all, BUT SO F-ING WHAT?!?

Yes, that is wrong, very wrong...jeeziz, I've been in DC 22 years now and the thought of wearing a Caps jersey when Buffalo's in town, sends shivers up my spine...

I have to admit I do own a Thrashers jersey although I did get it for free by trading in a ratty old Pens jersey last year. I think I've worn it once and that was to actually play hockey in it.

I like to see the Thrashers do well, but if its at the expense of the Sabres, they can go pound sand...just like the rest of this city.

but the only 2 guys that responded at all were a couple of cowboys who actually each challanged us to a fist fight outside. they got laughed at heartliy.

We traveled down to Houston to see the Bills game this fall. One of the highlights of the trip was when, after the Bills won right at the end of the game and everyone was filing out, a couple of Texans fans saw us in our Bills garb and tried that "cowboy" thing. One of them yelled, "F*** Buffalo!!! F*** all y'all!!!"

I looked back at him and simply stated, "Dude. 'all y'all' is NOT a word." He was owned. :nana:

lol, the only thing the nice fans could think of to rip on our team about was the new logo. everyone kept saying "arent there any design guys up in buffalo?" or "why are you guys the Bananas now?"

our response every time:

"it doesnt matter how ugly the logo is when youre in first place the entire season."

to which we usually got a smile and a nod signifying their defeat.

Archived