Kasparaitis placed on waivers by New York...

Goodfella25

Kasparaitis waived

Just as a side bar...who would be interested in Buffalo picking him up??? I'd like to gauge everyone's opinion here and don't lie!

TSN.ca Staff

1/24/2007 2:09:20 PM

The New York Rangers have placed veteran defenseman Darius Kasparaitis on waivers. The 34-year-old has two goals and two assists in 24 games and is averaging 14:52 minutes of ice time this season. Kasparaitis has been a healthy scratch the last three games and hasn't played since January 11.

Kasparaitis and head coach Tom Renney have been at odds at times this season. Kasparaitis was sent to the minors earlier this season after Renney felt he wasn't where he was supposed to be conditioning-wise.

After a 10-day stint with the Hartford Wolf Pack of the American Hockey League Kasparaitis rejoined the Rangers November 13.

A veteran of 14 NHL seasons with the New York Islanders, Pittsburgh Penguins, Colorado Avalanche and the Rangers, Kasparaitis has totaled 27 goals and 137 assists with 1,379 penalty minutes in 863 career games.

I think we could use someone with a mean streak like him, but doesn't necessarily take the moronic penalties like he does...

The only team picking this guy up is whomever is short players in the A-division tuesday night men's league at Chelsea Piers....

This is clearly the type of player Darcy should pick up and stash in Rochester until the playoffs.

Seriously, though - why not pick him up, stash him on the bench in Peters' spot, and play him when someone takes a run at one of our guys? He can't do much worse than Peters...

I think we should pick him up. He could still have one of those playoff overtime winners left in him...if not, he could be really really annoying to play against and help us out by occupying the other teams' thoughts a bit....if he still has it in him that is

and they wouldn't have to pay his entire salary, just a month and a half worth of it, right?

No....

Then that seals the deal. No Kasparaitis.

Personally I don't think that he can be motivated to play the way we would need him to. On the other hand, Lindy has worked miracles in the past.

If a player clears waivers doesn't the team that signs him get some sort of relief?

Not sure about that, but since half the season is gone, doesn't that mean we'd only be on the hook for half of his contract, so about 1.6 MIL? Of course this is all merely fodder for discussion since you know we won't be picking anybody up, let alone Kaspar.

I agree. I would hate to see the Sabres get "infected" with Kasparaitis. The guy is a lunchbag.

If you feel that Drury and Briere are the leaders people say they are should that really be a concern?

When has he been a "cancer"? It's always seemed he was the type of player you would hate until he was on your team. As far as a rent-a-player goes he may be a bargin.

He is making $3.268 million. I don't see the Sabres picking him up.

The most salient point in the thread, and everyone missed it? Freaking Kasparaitis was making how much? I wouldn't pay him a third of that to play for Buffalo.

The most salient point in the thread, and everyone missed it? Freaking Kasparaitis was making how much? I wouldn't pay him a third of that to play for Buffalo.

Nope, I got it (see above post) and like I said we'd only be on the hook for around $1.5 MIL...still may be too much but hey what else is there to talk about besides Briere getting the All Star MVP

I think just the fact that so many people are considering bringing him in means that most of us realize that the team needs to add some toughness, especially in the back.

FWIW, my comments above were (somewhat) tongue in cheek, but I would like to see someone with a Kasparitis-type physical mentality brought in to give this team a physical and psychological boost going into the stretch run and the playoffs...

I don't think that we need toughness as much as some think. Just watch game 3 of the ECF's and we absolutely took it to Carolina. I have never seen so many crushing checks in one single game. This team will step it up in the playoffs, physically if need be. We were able to hit right back against Philly as well. I think this team is like most of its fans, they really just want to get back to the playoffs as quick as possible.

Yes, the loss of Grier and Mckee has made us less physical, there's no arguing that, but Spacek should do what Mckee did. Maybe we do need to pick up a more physical player, but I don't think it's such a dire need. What the Sabres need is to get that feeling again of being in the playoffs and they'll step it up.

I don't think that we need toughness as much as some think. Just watch game 3 of the ECF's and we absolutely took it to Carolina. I have never seen so many crushing checks in one single game. This team will step it up in the playoffs, physically if need be. We were able to hit right back against Philly as well. I think this team is like most of its fans, they really just want to get back to the playoffs as quick as possible.

Yes, the loss of Grier and Mckee has made us less physical, there's no arguing that, but Spacek should do what Mckee did. Maybe we do need to pick up a more physical player, but I don't think it's such a dire need. What the Sabres need is to get that feeling again of being in the playoffs and they'll step it up.

Philly and Carolina are not the concern. It's the speed and size of teams like the Sharks and Ducks which are the concern. They are two teams that can skate with Buffalo and have more size.

Kasparaitis could offer the Sabres some security in the short term. I'm not saying the Sabres can't win without him. It's just that it would be foolish for Regier to look past any options with the Sabres being so close.

Philly and Carolina are not the concern. It's the speed and size of teams like the Sharks and Ducks which are the concern. They are two teams that can skate with Buffalo and have more size.

Kasparaitis could offer the Sabres some security in the short term. I'm not saying the Sabres can't win without him. It's just that it would be foolish for Regier to look past any options with the Sabres being so close.

Exactly. You might even throw Montreal onto that list as they seem to give us a beating out there. I disagree with whoever said Spacek can do what McKee did last year...he can't, they aren't the same player. Spacek will provide more offense no doubt, and throw some hits now and then, but no way can he match Mckee's play in the defensive zone/shot-blocking ability. If we make it to the finals and run into a team like San Jose or Anaheim, who can also match our speed and goaltending, toughness could be the X-factor that is the difference between lifting the cup or yet another Buffalo sports nightmare.

If it isn't toughness, then it has to be lack of depth on the blueline that is the major concern. Kaspar, as much as I can't stand him, would help both of those problems at a relatively cheap price. I just hope Darcy can get something done before the trading deadline to strengthen the blueline corps

I am completely done with this debate. This team NEEDS to get tougher, grittier, whatever adjective you want to use - but they either need to have guys on the roster step up and start playing tougher or find someone who will. Watching tonight's game (and apparently sitting behind the principal from Billy Madison) Columbus hit us at every opportunity, and we let them pretty much stand in front of our net untouched.

At the other end of the rink, Columbus knocked down just about anyone who came near their crease, and I think it took a toll on the Sabres - they seemed a little less hungry when they went looking for rebounds off Norrena...Adam Foote really sets the physical tone for that team, and they all seem to play bigger & tougher with him in the lineup.

Archived