Power play

BuffalOhio

I don't even get excited when they get a power play. There's just no hope.

Do they not watch film of San Jose? Can't they do something different, just once?

They do the same, ineffective shitt every time. It's disgusting to watch. Makes me want to puke.

Anybody got any suggestions, so if anybody on the Sabres' staff reads this, it might help? :wallbash:

Yeah, just fire the puck at the net. Good things happen when you throw the puck at the net. They always seem to be too busy trying to set up the pretty play and it ends up wasting all the power play time. If they would just start firing the puck from the points, they'll get more goals. To me it seems so damn obvious! I have no idea why they very seldom do this. :doh:

i thought lorentz was all over this last night. he was talking about the different ways they were dumping the puck in and it seemed to work best whey they flipped it in to one corner, rather than firing it in....who knows. i just can't believe this is the same team that used to score solely on the PP now that are just atrocious on it....

They seem to continually try that triangle play in the corner to try to set someone up in front of the net, but that rarely (if ever) works cause the defense expects it.

I would much rather them take the shots they get in the slot instead of passing it into the corner or to the point. It seems like this oppourtunity is continually overlooked by the wingers and is a better scoring chance than what we usually get on the PP (which is nothing)

I think last game we had a -1 rating on the PP, where the other team scored shorthanded and we got nothing. I think thats about as bad as i gets. itd be nice if we could just decline penalties like in football, since we have a better chance scoring 5v5 than on the PP

Passing to the corner accomplishes little to nothing as the opposition knows the puck will merely be sent back out and can prepare for it. Quickly move the puck at the point and take shots. You can't score if you don't shoot. Every shot is a potential goal or rebound attempt. Playing "pretty" is playing dumb and wasting time. Also, the more you shoot the less chance of a steal and breakaway. Tell the Sabres about that happening, right?

Passing to the corner accomplishes little to nothing as the opposition knows the puck will merely be sent back out and can prepare for it. Quickly move the puck at the point and take shots. You can't score if you don't shoot. Every shot is a potential goal or rebound attempt. Playing "pretty" is playing dumb and wasting time. Also, the more you shoot the less chance of a steal and breakaway. Tell the Sabres about that happening, right?

I agree, but we don't have forewards who can play "not pretty". We do, but their names are Mair, Gaustad, Peters and Kotalik. Al plays the point, and Gaustad is ok.

On a similar note, Taylor Pyatt scored his 8th PPG of the year against us yesterday.

I'm not sure if it was Scott Arniel that really made the powerplay go or Timmy but we've now gone back to the powerless play that we had pre-lockout. Always trying to make the pretty highlight goals and the other teams like to pressure us into mishandling the puck and turning it over. They seriously need to spend gobs of time working on the PP over the AS break. Our PK is kinda crappy lately too. Hopefully, Tallinder's return (some day) will at least fix up that part.

I really think the biggest problem on the PP is getting the puck in the zone and setting up. Once they get set up they have shown they are able to have good puck movement and can generate some chances. I'm all for taking more shots, but we need to keep in mind that if they shoot with someone in the shooting lane there is a very good chance that is going to turn into a quality scoring chance the other way.

I think they need Sean Payton to run the PP. What I mean is, do the unexpected. Change the personnel, change the philosophy, each and every PP. Dump and chase one time, shoot from everywhere another, try a puck-possession PP another time.

You can see opposing teams have a strategy to defend the Sabres PP, and yet the Sabres don't seem to throw a kink into the plan.

I thought that last year, the Sabres passed the puck too much on the PP. They were huge on puck possession, with limited shots. But it worked. When they finally took that shot, it was in.

This year, it ain't workin'.

Peyton Manning threw for , what, 50 passes one year. This year he had, what, 30? Teams look at tape and prepare. Good teams anticipate and adjust. I think the Sabres coaches are guilty of not adjusting.

I agree, but we don't have forewards who can play "not pretty". We do, but their names are Mair, Gaustad, Peters and Kotalik. Al plays the point, and Gaustad is ok.

On a similar note, Taylor Pyatt scored his 8th PPG of the year against us yesterday.

Let's not use the words "play" and "Peters" in the same thought.

Since the Sabres are the best 5 on 5 team in the NHL why not just roll your lines through the power play instead of breaking them up trying to find a combination? If Mair and Gaustad are due up when a power play is awarded then they start the power play. It can't be any worse.

This team excels when it is on the fly. Moving fast, crashing bodies and making quick accurate passes, which overwhelms the opposition. On the powerplay they are standing still, mostly, and trying to make the cutesy little play. This makes them average. You ever notice that they get more quality chances when Max has the puck along the side boards and is spinning and dekeing around players. Maybe they should just do contiuous rushes up the ice. Take a couple shots, go out over the blue line , and come in again. Not traditional, but are we scoring the traditional way??

If Peters played with the Sedins and Naslund on the PP he'd have 8 PP goals by now.

No he wouldn't.

I heard an interesting tidbit the other day and I'm wondering if it's true. I heard thet Andrew Peters has yet to change his stick once all season even training camp. The stick he used on the first day of practice is the exact stick he will use at the next practice. I also heard the entire stick is plastic.

I wonder if it's true :nana:

Really, just how can a man 'advantage' be a dis-advantage? :blink:

Skating the puck in, and taking a shot and attacking the net, sounds better than dump and pass.

Try something different. We need the PP to be an advantage again!

We fix that, and we DOMINATE bigtime!

Really, just how can a man 'advantage' be a dis-advantage? :blink:

Skating the puck in, and taking a shot and attacking the net, sounds better than dump and pass.

Try something different. We need the PP to be an advantage again!

We fix that, and we DOMINATE bigtime!

Do you want to see them try to skate it in when the other team is taking away the blue line? The results usually aren't pretty.

If Peters played with the Sedins and Naslund on the PP he'd have 8 PP goals by now.

Let's not get carried away, ink...Mair, maybe, Peters? Ummmm, no.

...or whoever sees the refs arm go up, slug the closest opposing player. Isn't that what Chara does, only he gets away with it.

Glad to see Adam Mair took that strategy to heart against Montreal.

Let's not get carried away, ink...Mair, maybe, Peters? Ummmm, no.

I was kidding. I guess I need more :nana: with my posts.

Glad to see Adam Mair took that strategy to heart against Montreal.

I have zero problem with our boys roughing it up a bit in lieu of peanlties. More often than not the refs even it out or just ignore it.

Ink, I figured you were kidding, just wasn't completely sure. As for Mair, boy was I biting my tongue when he took that boarding penalty against Montreal, costing us a PP (I had to bite my tongue and keep the comments PG-13, because I was watching the game at my mother-in-law's house.) Even though our PP sucks, you still want to see the guys have a shot on it.

as much as the mair boarding may have hurt watching it, i dont mind mair playing his role on our "soft" team.

its usually just offsetting penalties, and amazingly we do better on 5v5... new gameplan?!?!? :thumbsup:

I don't have a problem with Mair playing gritty and being tough, but that was as stupid and undisciplined a penalty I've seen in a while. (I'd throw Danny's retaliation interference penalty in the mix as well.) The boarding came a good 10-15 seconds or so after the arm went up for the Canadiens' interference call.

But you are right - sadly, we are MUCH better even strength.

Archived