Sabres @ Rangers (01/24)

PTS

Last night was great. Had some pre-game drinks and food at Tracks then headed upstairs. We had around 60 Sabre fans in section 345 and had several "Let's go Buffalo" chants. At one point, I think we had every Sabres fan in the place chanting with us. We were so loud that every time we started chanting, the entire MSG would start booing. It was hilarious. One of the guys sitting with us said he had a friend on the other side of the arena that could hear us and said that the Rangers fans in his section were getting agitated by our chants! Can't remember having a better time at a hockey game.

Favorite part of the night?after the Sabres won this extremely drunk 35 year old Rangers fan in a suit stumbles up to our section and stares us all down and says, ?you?re all so tough when you?re in a group huh?? and continues to stare down our section as his friend is trying to drag him away. I couldn't help but laugh at him.

Dave, the one questiion comes to mind.  Is it really necessary to go for a hip check like that along the boards?  I don't remember ever seeing any hits like that along the boards.  Yes it was clean, but it was an obvious, unnecessary shot at Connolly's legs.

Necessary, no. Legal, yes. Intent to hurt, definitely. Intent to injure, I'll give the SOB a pass on that.

The hit kind of reminds me in a way of the Stevens hit on Erica. Erica came around the other D-man and was set up for Stevens to kill him. Did Stevens hit him legally? Yes. Was he trying to hurt him? Absolutely. Did he want to give him a concussion? Probably not, but Stevens is the only one who will ever know for sure. Could Stevens still have hurt Erica by putting his shoulder into Erica's chest rather than into his chin? Definitely, but it wouldn't have hurt as much, nor probably been as jarring.

Kasparaitis could have stayed square and just ran Connolly into the boards, but it wouldn't have been nearly as bone-jarring hitting him shoulder to shoulder.

6-8 weeks for connelly. thats a high price. what is it with losing our leading scorers? grr. ah well was a needed win. we needsome guys to step up now, since we are missing our leading scorer and playmaker.

I really think that Pominville is going to step up and fill the scoring void when Connoly is out. Every game he looks better and he has a very strong offensive presence on the ice. Itd be interesting to put Max and Pominville together and see what they could do. Im looking for Pominville to score some big goals in the near future.

Something else I noticed. The Rangers have not had 30 shots against us yet this year. First game they had 23, 2nd 27, last night 24.

The Sabres during the season have given up an average of about 31 shots a game. Against the Rangers only 24 2/3. Pretty significant difference. I think it could be indicative that the Rangers don't match up against us very well (Without Lundqvist I think we would have had a more substantial win last night). If that continues in the last game this season, and if we play them in the playoffs, I think we are in really good shape.

If this has been mentioned previously in this thread, I apologize I'm being lazy...

WTF was Grier thinking when he took the penalty against Kasperitis late in the 3rd period. If the Rangers would have tied the game up on that PP, Grier would have been the goat of the game. There is a time to retaliate and a time not to. Considering Grier is an NHL veteran, I would think he would know the difference.

If this has been mentioned previously in this thread, I apologize I'm being lazy...

WTF was Grier thinking when he took the penalty against Kasperitis late in the 3rd period. If the Rangers would have tied the game up on that PP, Grier would have been the goat of the game. There is a time to retaliate and a time not to. Considering Grier is an NHL veteran, I would think he would know the difference.

After the game Greer mentioned that DK actually told him that he wanted to fight. When Green got around to challenging him, HE DOVE.

Watch the play again. It's was a blatant dive.

Anyone surprised?

Hey, we play again this season. Payback is a motherf. . .

i understand the buffalo fan's instinctual need to be negative and bitchy, but this is a little over the top. but rather than duke it out with you point-by-point, i would just add two points.

1. we haveone of the top records in the league while playing a bunch of very young players who are only going to get better. this gives me optimism about our future as a real cup contender. will it happen this year? maybe, maybe not, but we damn near won it all a few years ago with a team that is not as good as this one.

2. briere was one of the top scorers in the league when healthy and will be back before the playoffs. i understand if you don't want to count him as a "top-50 scorer," because technically he isn't. but he sure as hell is a top-50 player.

Well said. We're 30-15-3 and we've been without Danny Briere, our BEST PLAYER, for almost 75% of the season. When he returns, the Sabres are going to be 10 times better and that much more prepared for the stretch run. Hopefully you add on a quality skater in return for Marty, and we're talking about a serious contender in the Eastern Conference.

Everyone keeps talking about how badly we're out-matched vs Ottawa, well, the games we played against Ottawa were in a very tough stretch for this team. Can't wait till Feb. the 4th to see how well we matchup at this point of the season.

Not tyrying to nitpick but Briere has missed 24 out of the 48 games the Sabres have played. 50%. ;)

Right on, LabattBlue. Everyone needs to check his facts before posting. It only takes a minute and it makes the dialogue much better.

Go Sabres.