Sabres @ Rangers (01/24)

PTS

hip to hip into the boards. only good news is that its not a concussion, as he's had problems with that. connolly is walking to the dressing room with minimal limp. looks that he'll be ok.

as for the hit: it was wicked and it was clean. too bad kasparitis was the one who did it

hip to hip into the boards. only good news is that its not a concussion, as he's had problems with that. connolly is walking to the dressing room with minimal limp. looks that he'll be ok.

as for the hit: it was wicked and it was clean. too bad kasparitis was the one who did it

The only problem I can see from the Buffalo perspective is that he stuck his back leg out. If he misses Connolly with the hip, it would've been a leg on leg hit.

Guest Punch Imlach
Do you really need to check on a message board to realize that the Sabres are not bonafide Stanley Cup contenders this season?

I don't know how long you have been lurking here, but there are several regular posters to this board that have been asking the "how do the Sabres win it all" question and whether or not management truly has a goal of winning the SC. Many of us here have varying opinions on those subjects, but that does not prevent us from enjoying the run the Sabres have been on this season. If your sole criterion for a successful and / or enjoyable season is a SC victory parade, then the fans of 97% of the teams will not get any enjoyment out of their teams this year.

Comparing Buffalo to Ottawa is really foolish. Ottawa was pathetic for several seasons and then moved up to bad. Due to their extremely long run of icing bad teams and a very good scouting staff, they have managed to assemble a core of players, some of which were traded for key parts such as Chara and Heatley, that are truly legitimate contenders. Even though they are contenders now, however, and have been for a couple of seasons; without goaltending they have been huge disappointments in past seasons. If winning the Cup is your sole criterion for success, you may want to pick a team like NJ to hang your hat on rather than Ottawa, as they have won SC's while maintaining a budget (at least in past seasons).

Also, you will not get 2 quality skaters coming into the organization for Marty. You want a "top 50 scorer", but what are you willing to give up to get him? Do you even realize that Briere is that mythical "top 50 scorer" when he is healthy? Do you realize that several of the young guys may join him there in the next season or 2?

While there are several teams in the West that I do not believe the Sabres match up well against, right now of playoff caliber teams the only 2 teams that I think would definitely win a playoff series against the Sabres are the Sens and Devils. I don't have a good handle on how they match up with Carolina (but the homer in me says they can and would beat them), but I really like the matchups with TB and Atlanta, and expect that they would win a series against NY or the Flyers. They would beat Montreal and should beat Toronto if either gets in. Florida would kill them, but guess what, Florida is going golfing in May.

What team other than NJ (who they might face in the 1st round) or Ottawa (who they most likely won't face in the 1st round) overmatch the Sabres?

Your response is so full of false premises it's hard to know where to begin.

Did you read my post or just make faulty assumptions about what I suggested?

"Do you really need to check on a message board to realize that the Sabres are not bonafide Stanley Cup contenders this season?"

NO

"Many of us here have varying opinions on those subjects, but that does not prevent us from enjoying the run the Sabres have been on this season."

Neither does it prevent me from enjoying their improvement, but I see a lot of room for more.

"If your sole criterion for a successful and / or enjoyable season is a SC victory parade, then the fans of 97% of the teams will not get any enjoyment out of their teams this year."

No, it is not my sole criterion, but it is my primary criterion and what an obviously ridiculous conclusion.

"Comparing Buffalo to Ottawa is really foolish."

You can say that again! It is like they are in a different league. What is Buffalo going to do to catch them? Standing pat is not adequate.

"If winning the Cup is your sole criterion for success..."

NO, but nothing ranks higher! Ask every GM and player what is their criterion for success - "winning the Cup!"

"Also, you will not get 2 quality skaters coming into the organization for Marty."

How do you know that?

"You want a "top 50 scorer", but what are you willing to give up to get him?"

Martin Biron or a package of lesser players like Noronen plus a player like Grier,Afinogenov, Connolly, Kotalik etc.

"Do you even realize that Briere is that mythical "top 50 scorer" when he is healthy? "

Possibly, but I didn't realize he was playing now. Is it too much to ask to have a scorer in the top 50? Jeez, you have low expectations. I guess I'm old enough to remember the Sabres when they had guys in the top 10. You probably weren't even born.

"the only 2 teams that I think would definitely win a playoff series against the Sabres are the Sens and Devils. I don't have a good handle on how they match up with Carolina (but the homer in me says they can and would beat them), but I really like the matchups with TB and Atlanta, and expect that they would win a series against NY or the Flyers. They would beat Montreal and should beat Toronto if either gets in. Florida would kill them, but guess what, Florida is going golfing in May.

What team other than NJ (who they might face in the 1st round) or Ottawa (who they most likely won't face in the 1st round) overmatch the Sabres?"

I love the way you just breeze through the Rangers, Flyers, Leafs,Hurricanes like it's just a formality. The Sabres only obstacles are NJ and Ottawa?

You must be kidding!!

i'd like to see afinigenov actually coached on his offensive abilities... Like, put him on the russian national team for a year and see how he develops. I think Afinogenov's legacy with the sabres will always be untapped potential, and that's sad. But yes, i agree with you. jagr is in another league than max... i was just making a simple statement...

its all over but the crying. 2-1 buffalo

i love the development of ryan miller... He could be the first bona fida superstar developed completely in the sabres organization since i don't even know... turgeon?

.500 on the road trip now with a big roadie in toronto on thursday. nice effort

A good win for the Sabres though that PP at the end of the game was weak, and I had visions of Jagr scoring the game-tying goal short-handed. They needed this road win, big time, and they found a way to get it. After sleepwalking through the end of that Western Canadian road trip, they post a huge W against the Rangers, and move into a tie for 4th again.

they havent said anything about Connolly but he walked off under his own power so I think he should be alright. Another thing about this game was that the sabres defense looked very good. We broke up a lot of passes in front of the net and we didnt give up too many quality scoring chances. No one defensemen stood out but it was a good defenseive game as a team.... solid win.