Mair's Hit Last Night

BayAreaSabresFan

Even though Mair plastered the guy, I didn't like the hit. I thought it was well after he had unloaded the puck. That makes it a dirty play, IMHO. I'd be extremely PO'd if it was Briere or Max that got creamed like that and it resulted in an injury.

If someone has the puck and is skating up ice, he's fair game. Once he passes it, unless it's only a split-second later (ie too late to pull up), he shouldn't be hit.

Just my opinion.

I completely agree with you guys. I didn't get to see the game but saw some highlights of it and when I saw the hit I just assumed it was a penalty. I know things happen a lot faster on the ice than when we are watching it on tv. But it literally looked like Mair didn't stride to hit him until after he had already passed the puck away.

I don't think it was malicious or dirty, but I just can't believe they didn't call a penalty on that one.

I completely agree with you guys. I didn't get to see the game but saw some highlights of it and when I saw the hit I just assumed it was a penalty. I know things happen a lot faster on the ice than when we are watching it on tv. But it literally looked like Mair didn't stride to hit him until after he had already passed the puck away.

I don't think it was malicious or dirty, but I just can't believe they didn't call a penalty on that one.

I can't believe they didn't call a penalty when Kalinin was clearly boarded in front of the Sabres bench. You know, just before he took his weak cross-checking penalty?

In my professional opinion (yes, I get paid to referee, therefore I am a professional), the officiating was poor last night. Especially on the offsides goal by Murray. I should be able to look up to an NHL linesman, but that was just an awful anticipation on that play. Also, Roy should've been called for hooking on Bergeron's breakaway. Yes, it was a great hustle play, but he clearly hooked up the stick, and made contact with the hands. Same goes for when Vanek had the puck at the attacking blue line, attempting to keep it inside the line, and he was clearly hooked with no call. Many more calls when uncalled.

In my opinion, Mair's hit was a little late, but not late enough for a penalty. Any later, and it's a penalty for sure.

I can't believe they didn't call a penalty when Kalinin was clearly boarded in front of the Sabres bench. You know, just before he took his weak cross-checking penalty?

In my professional opinion (yes, I get paid to referee, therefore I am a professional), the officiating was poor last night. Especially on the offsides goal by Murray. I should be able to look up to an NHL linesman, but that was just an awful anticipation on that play. Also, Roy should've been called for hooking on Bergeron's breakaway. Yes, it was a great hustle play, but he clearly hooked up the stick, and made contact with the hands. Same goes for when Vanek had the puck at the attacking blue line, attempting to keep it inside the line, and he was clearly hooked with no call. Many more calls when uncalled.

In my opinion, Mair's hit was a little late, but not late enough for a penalty. Any later, and it's a penalty for sure.

When I first saw Roy's play on the backcheck, I thought "penalty shot", then I was amazed that no penalty was called. But one of the replays showed (I thought) that he really just lifted the stick at the exact right moment, allowing the puck to slide to Miller. That replay angle made it look like an amazing, and clean, backchecking play.

Sorry DC, but I just watched it again on the Yahoo highlights ... it's at about the 2:30 mark ... the Boston guy took 2 full strides after passing the puck and only then did Mair hit him. I may not be an official, but that's late to me.

Like I said, it's not a dirty hit, I'm all for open-ice hitting, but sometimes you time it wrong and it costs you 2 minutes, just like sometimes you have a guy lined up and he zigs instead of zags you your knee catches him ... not dirty, but 2 minutes for kneeing.

Sorry DC, but I just watched it again on the Yahoo highlights ... it's at about the 2:30 mark ... the Boston guy took 2 full strides after passing the puck and only then did Mair hit him. I may not be an official, but that's late to me.

Like I said, it's not a dirty hit, I'm all for open-ice hitting, but sometimes you time it wrong and it costs you 2 minutes, just like sometimes you have a guy lined up and he zigs instead of zags you your knee catches him ... not dirty, but 2 minutes for kneeing.

To me, this makes it a dirty hit. Once you pass off the puck, you aren't expecting to get hit, so your body isn't ready for the contact. It creates a dangerous situation. If you view the top 10 scott stevens hits video on youtube, you'll see that at least half of them were similar situations -- ie hits well after the players had passed the puck and so weren't expecting to get hit -- and players like Lindros, Kariya, etc. suffered serious injuries as a result.

To me, this makes it a dirty hit. Once you pass off the puck, you aren't expecting to get hit, so your body isn't ready for the contact. It creates a dangerous situation. If you view the top 10 scott stevens hits video on youtube, you'll see that at least half of them were similar situations -- ie hits well after the players had passed the puck and so weren't expecting to get hit -- and players like Lindros, Kariya, etc. suffered serious injuries as a result.

The fact that Stevens was gunning for their heads might have a bit to do with that too.

Interference

(NOTE 2) Possession of the Puck:

The last player to touch the puck, other than the goalkeeper, shall be considered the player in possession. The player deemed in possession of the puck may be checked legally, provided the check is rendered immediately following his loss of possession.

The question here is, what is the hockey definition of immediately? Like I said earlier, I think it was almost a penalty. Any later and it would have definitely been one.

Interference

(NOTE 2) Possession of the Puck:

The last player to touch the puck, other than the goalkeeper, shall be considered the player in possession. The player deemed in possession of the puck may be checked legally, provided the check is rendered immediately following his loss of possession.

The question here is, what is the hockey definition of immediately? Like I said earlier, I think it was almost a penalty. Any later and it would have definitely been one.

wow... i never knew that... so technically by the rules, until the player he passed it to touches the puck, he could still be checked legally

thats interesting. thanks DC

wow... i never knew that... so technically by the rules, until the player he passed it to touches the puck, he could still be checked legally

thats interesting. thanks DC

Remember when Andreychuk scored from the bench.

I wonder if someone could have nailed him on the bench before the puck past the goal line.

Wait ... by that logic, I guy who ices the puck next his own net is fair game until someone touches the puck 180 feet away ... something tells me running someone behind the net as the puck is crossing the opposite blue line would be frowned upon. I'm not saying what Mair did was like that, but it wasn't immediate either.

Remember when Andreychuk scored from the bench.

I wonder if someone could have nailed him on the bench before the puck past the goal line.

Coincidently that was against our good friends the Boston Bruins... I would have hated to be Andy Moog after that goal. Bounced right through the five hole

As for the hit... Thought it was late... surprised it wasn't called, but If the ref didn't see it, it would explain why it wasn't called. Only 2 refs on the ice at a time only so much Ice can be watched.

Archived