Full All Star Rosters Announced

UnionAMG

Yeah that is crazy ... BrindAmour has been their best player by far this season ... the Tampa guys I can't argue with, but Jagr and Shanahan would have made more sense than Staal. I like Stall but he did not have a very good first half.

But obviously they want to showcase the young stars ... BrindAmour and Jagr lost out to Staal and Williams ....

Yeah that is crazy ... BrindAmour has been their best player by far this season ... the Tampa guys I can't argue with, but Jagr and Shanahan would have made more sense than Staal. I like Stall but he did not have a very good first half.

But obviously they want to showcase the young stars ... BrindAmour and Jagr lost out to Staal and Williams ....

Well only one won out since Carolina needed to have one representative in the game.

They didn't have that rule last time there was an all star game.

Is that an actual rule that they need to have a representative? Or do you think it's just an unwritten thing where they said, hey we need to have at least one person from the defending champions?

Is that an actual rule that they need to have a representative? Or do you think it's just an unwritten thing where they said, hey we need to have at least one person from the defending champions?

It's happened in the past where a team didn't get anyone. I think it's actually in writing now.

Well only one won out since Carolina needed to have one representative in the game.

Well I meant that BrindAmour lost out to one of them, so he would have been the Carolina rep. I guess my point was more that two Rangers in Jagr and Shanny would have made more sense based purely on performance. But again, it is a showcase, everyone knows who Jagr and BrindAmour are. I think Max deserved it, but I really can't argue with any of the other choices ...

Why don't they just select all stars purely by their fantasy statistics? The intangible player qualities aren't factored in, but basically it seems like the league just wants to showcase offensive talent anyway. Then no one gets slighted because they can just say, "This is how the computer calculated the team."

Why don't they just select all stars purely by their fantasy statistics? The intangible player qualities aren't factored in, but basically it seems like the league just wants to showcase offensive talent anyway. Then no one gets slighted because they can just say, "This is how the computer calculated the team."

Which fantasy stats do we use? G A P +/-? Would Pominville get extra credit for leading the league in even strength goals? Etc.

Yeah, I almost think the league wanted Staal but couldn't justify taking only him when Williams had better numbers, so they took both. As for Jagr, he said that he and the Rangers talked it over and said it would be better for him to rest that week. I still can't understand leaving Drury off. In fact, the top three vote-getters in ESPN's poll of "who should have been selected" were Drury, Jagr and Max -- and none of them are going, while Gagne is going despite getting only 8.8% in the poll. Isn't it funny that the last time there was an All-Star game, we had no representatives -- and then this year, when we deserved to have four or five, the league suddenly said "wait, every team should have someone there."

There are a few questionable omissions due to injuries. I think they should still pick the player then make an alternate pick, even if it is someone from the same team. Like how are Pronger and Giguere not at least named to the team even if they can't play?

Well I meant that BrindAmour lost out to one of them, so he would have been the Carolina rep. I guess my point was more that two Rangers in Jagr and Shanny would have made more sense based purely on performance. But again, it is a showcase, everyone knows who Jagr and BrindAmour are. I think Max deserved it, but I really can't argue with any of the other choices ...

That last bit is key; I'd imagine the league would really want Max in there because he's so incredibly skilled offensively, but with three Sabres in, and a wealth of other talent in the East, how could it happen? There really isn't an undeserving player among the rest of the East forwards, except for "obligatory" picks to give every team a representative, like Gagne. (Perhaps the goalies aren't all deserving, given Ooo-ay's performance this afternoon. But his numbers are good, and I'd hate to see Max in goal.)

Hopelessly: You're right; no Sabres on the last All-Star team, at least as I remember it.

As I predicted earlier this week, Vanek would be named to the young stars game(pats himself on the back). Max or Drury not being named is no surprise. I'm sure that the NHL want to spread the wealth around and have all teams represented in the all star game.

simon gagne is an all star?? oh my god.

gagne 44 games, 20 goals, 13 assists, -15

max 39 games, 20 goals, 27 assists, +10

why isn't forsberg playing too?? my word

Someone has to get in from Philly. Would you rather have Forsberg and his injury filled 26 point season (not that he'd play anyway)?

Archived