Yzerman's number to be retired tonight

Doohickie

The Number 19 of Steve Yzerman, the longest-serving captain in NHL history, will be retired tonight in Detroit.

ESPN Story

Detroit News Story

Detroit Free Press Story

I have a Stevie Y. jersey. I grew up in Buffalo and was a big Sabres fan, but lived elsewhere in the 80s, in places that either had nothing teams (L.A.) or no team at all (Dallas area). When I moved to Detroit in 1991, the Wings were a middle-of-the-road first- or second-round playoff casualty. During my stay in Detroit, the Wings got better and better and better, finally winning the Cup for the first time in 42 years in 1997 (the year we moved back to Texas). I think if you asked any Wings fan who the MVP of those cup runs were, every single person would pick Yzerman. It was Stevie Y., more than anyone else, who brought me back to hockey.

The guy is true class- soft-spoken, generous, and genuine. We worked hard as a rookie, blew out a knew, worked hard on rehab (so hard, in fact, they started calling him Stevie Wonder), and provided inspired leadership to the team whether they were winning or losing. He bore the down years with dignity and was a sparkplug of their success.

Even if you don't like the Red Wings, you have to admit Stevie Y. is one of the all-time greats.

Congrats, Stevie!

Anybody catch the ceremony? Yzerman the saint. He was annointed tonight... Too bad the Pope missed it. Very, very nice retirement ceremony.. Guy is definitely classy... Gave all the credit to Scotty B. Had him in tears... Wow!! What a great ceremony!!1

As a fan, I disagree. That's the way Stevie was- very soft-spoken. Brett Hull- he likes to hear himself talk and you could tell when they retired his number in St. Louis. But Stevie was all about the Wings, and he gave credit everywhere where credit was due (downplaying, of course, his own role).

As a fan, I disagree. That's the way Stevie was- very soft-spoken.

The fact that it was a disaster had little to do with how loud he talked or his topics. It was more the obvious lack of preparation. No one delivers a well prepared speech and uses the same terms 12 times in the first minute and a half (patience, understanding). AS A FAN, I expected more because I've seen him do far better.

If he slipped one more pick, the Sabres could have had him!!!...Instead of Tom Barasso. Although I believe Buffalo traded up for that pick.

Patty was drafted one spot ahead of Stevie Y.

I didn't know Brian Lawton and Sylvain Turgeon went 1-2.

Looking at the draft, the Sabres pickes 5, 10 & 11 in the first round.

Tom Barasso

Norm Lacombe

Adam Creighton

1.5 out of 3 sound about right???

If he slipped one more pick, the Sabres could have had him!!!...Instead of Tom Barasso. Although I believe Buffalo traded up for that pick.

Patty was drafted one spot ahead of Stevie Y.

I didn't know Brian Lawton and Sylvain Turgeon went 1-2.

Looking at the draft, the Sabres pickes 5, 10 & 11 in the first round.

Tom Barasso

Norm Lacombe

Adam Creighton

1.5 out of 3 sound about right???

Especially when we could have had Cam Neely, Probert, Kevin Stevens and still picked up Tikkanen and Hasek later. Damn hindsight.

Why is it that a storied franchise like Detroit's has only 6 numbers retired, the same number as the Sabres?

Because the Sabres have become way too liberal with this honor! :angry: Perreault...definitely, Horton...okay. Martin, Lafontaine, Robert & Gare...NO! :thumbdown: Right now, the only other player worthy of going up there(once he finally decides to retire) is Hasek. :thumbsup:

If the Sabres were hell bent on honoring so many players, instead of retiring numbers, they should have just raised banners with players names on them and the years they were with the Sabres. Similiar to a Sabres Hall of Fame. :thumbsup:

I'd blame Quinny for putting LaFontaine and Gare up there, but the saviors disciples will come after me with pitch forks, tar and feathers. ;)

Archived