Is Max the exception or the rule?

LabattBlue

Prior to last year Max's best season was 40 points. He was 24 when the 03-04 season finished. Then he comes back from the lockout and goes berserk. A product of the "new" NHL? A late bloomer? The light finally came on?

How do you explain a guy who appeared to have the hands of former Sabre Mikael Andersson :lol: all of a sudden becomes a scoring dynamo?

Does it pay off to keep guys in the system longer than usual??

Prior to last year Max's best season was 40 points. He was 24 when the 03-04 season finished. Then he comes back from the lockout and goes berserk. A product of the "new" NHL? A late bloomer? The light finally came on?

How do you explain a guy who appeared to have the hands of former Sabre Mikael Andersson :lol: all of a sudden becomes a scoring dynamo?

Does it pay off to keep guys in the system longer than usual??

I think he's been given more freedom to use his speed without getting mauled by guys like Hatcher. Now the D has to angle him off and use positioning and their own speed. Some of 'em can't keep up.

Nothing really to see. A few punches thrown in close with none landing and then Max wrestles him to the ice.

while the fight itself was not much of a fight (both combatants had visors for pete's sake), i felt like the fight was something to see for no other reason than it was one of our top 4 forwards dropping the gloves to address an issue. you have to love that - rare to see a skill guy do that in today's game - reminded me a little of danny gare in his prime.

i am in the camp of idiots who called for max to fall victim to cap-anomics in late june, only to see him become a potential all-time great to don the sabres sweater.

first, thank you for the yoube of the altercation. but hell, i spent a good hour searching for it this morning, using not only "afinogenov," but "afinogenov williams..." neither of which produced anything but goal scoring highlights (which were awesome, of course). the clip indicates it was uploaded 17 hours ago...what am i doing wrong!?! ah, nevermind, it's a question for a different thread. not an affy appreciation thread.

but seriously, i feel like a loser constantly asking for links to this stuff. my apologies to everyone who rolls their eyes when they see a post from me whining about not being able to see something.

to bring this all back on topic, i would like to say that i have always liked max from the day he showed up with his blazing speed. granted, he has had a lot of control issues in the past and a lack of consistency, but as with all sabres, i have a habit of always expecting them to "get it" at some point, and become the piece that management had in mind for the team. not everyone works out in the end (i thought primeau would come around at some point), but i seem to never give up hope...and i'm so glad that darcy has kept this kid around to see the brilliance he brings to the ice now that the game is tailor-made for his talent.

first, thank you for the yoube of the altercation. but hell, i spent a good hour searching for it this morning, using not only "afinogenov," but "afinogenov williams..." neither of which produced anything but goal scoring highlights (which were awesome, of course). the clip indicates it was uploaded 17 hours ago...what am i doing wrong!?! ah, nevermind, it's a question for a different thread. not an affy appreciation thread.

I just did a youtube search with "afinogenov williams" and it came back with the link posted above. Of course I had to look up how to spell his last name. That is why you will always see me refer to Max & Teppo by their first names only. :)

Archived