How does a shared affiliate work?

Crestwood

I apologize if this has been discussed before, but I'm really confused as to how a minor league affiliate can be shared between two NHL teams like the Amerks are between the Panthers and Sabres. I can see why Florida would want an affiliate closer to Canada and areas in the U.S. that are more hockey friendly, but what do the Sabres get out of their cooperation? Or do I have it all wrong? Can anyone explain how this works?

both NHL teams share the amerks, but they have their own set of players... like, stafford, paille, funk, card, sekara are owned by the sabres, so florida can't call those guys up, same for the sabres and the florida owned players. As for the cooperation, its just cheaper for both NHL clubs and richer for the amerks. don't have the exact numbers, but the amerks make out on the deal. It does suck though, because there could be some MAJOR conflict of interests if the sabres play the panthers in the playoffs or something.

I apologize if this has been discussed before, but I'm really confused as to how a minor league affiliate can be shared between two NHL teams like the Amerks are between the Panthers and Sabres. I can see why Florida would want an affiliate closer to Canada and areas in the U.S. that are more hockey friendly, but what do the Sabres get out of their cooperation? Or do I have it all wrong? Can anyone explain how this works?

It is not so much what do the Sabres get out of this, it is what does Rochester get out of it.

It means Rochester can fill a roster without having to have any players on just an AHL contract.

I don't think there is anyone on the Rochester roster where the Amerks hold the parent club title

to any player. Buffalo and Florida are paying the contracts and Rochester gets to field a team.

The Sabres do get the small benefit of not having to help fill out the Amerks roster with AHL vets (more expensive than prospects). While the Sabres wouldn't have to do this, it is usually an understanding that it will take place in order to help the kids along. Chris Taylor was the most recent vet in this category (although he was a poor excuse for depth for the Sabres) with guys like Mike Hurlbut and a host of others in the past.

I would think there would be some problems with lines and defensive pairings...i.e. would you want to develop a line with two Panthers and a Sabre...or have a Panther and a Sabre as one (or more) of your defensive pairings?

I definately understand the money reason...but if it's a success, why wouldn't more teams be sharing minor league sites?

I would think there would be some problems with lines and defensive pairings...i.e. would you want to develop a line with two Panthers and a Sabre...or have a Panther and a Sabre as one (or more) of your defensive pairings?

I definately understand the money reason...but if it's a success, why wouldn't more teams be sharing minor league sites?

They've used lines in the past that consisted of a Sabres prospect or two and then some minor league journeyman under a Rochster contract. That's really no different.

What i dont get is how do you implement your teams system then? What if FLA has a differnet or not exact philosophy? What organziation do the coaches work in?

You implement your system in training camp. You can try to persuade Rochester to run that system as well, but in the end, it's their decision.

Because it limits the amount of prospects a team can have under contract. If they have more than 10-12, you have young players sitting outs games, when they should be getting the playing experience.

Hopefully TG will accumulate enough sugar packets and creamers during the offseason so that the Sabres can go back on their own next year. ;)

On the surface, you would think that the dual-affiliate system would be rife with potential pitfalls and land mines. What's to say Florida likes the idea that their players are being coached by a Buffalo coach, within the confines of Buffalo/Lindy's system? How did Florida feel about Lindy being so heavily involved with the Amerks during the lockout? What about playing time - how does Cunneyworth juggle the lineups and ice time so that he satisfies both sets of coaches/GMs chirping at him about player development? What if both teams have a young goalie they want to get the bulk of the work?

And is the shared affiliation with Florida the reason the Panthers have played us so tough over the last two years?

Like Labatt said, I'd rather see the Sabres go back to being a sole affiliate team, so they can control everything and not help develop the Panthers' players in addition to our own.

Archived