Loudmouth Sabres Fans

Allan in MD

OH MY GOSH! I HATE Montreal fans!

I went to the season opener and there were people in the building who weren't cheering for the Sabres and they were wearing Montreal jerseys and sitting together and some of them were speaking in a funny language and when the Habs did something good they ALL stood up and cheered and that really pissed me off and this is BUFFALO and not Montreal, and where were these fans like years ago before our franchise even existed, and who were they rooting for then?

I WILL NEVER GO TO ANOTHER HOCKEY GAME IF THERE ARE OTHER TEAMS FANS IN THE ARENA! It's soooooooooooo annoying!

Now only if Las Vegas gets a team and the Sabres come to visit. The whole building would be current and ex-Western New Yorkers rooting for the Sabres. There are tons of Buffalonians out here in the desert.

Also, Great story on Tom Golisano; Jad1. That would definitely be a worthy highlight!

OH MY GOSH! I HATE Montreal fans!

I went to the season opener and there were people in the building who weren't cheering for the Sabres and they were wearing Montreal jerseys and sitting together and some of them were speaking in a funny language and when the Habs did something good they ALL stood up and cheered and that really pissed me off and this is BUFFALO and not Montreal, and where were these fans like years ago before our franchise even existed, and who were they rooting for then?

I WILL NEVER GO TO ANOTHER HOCKEY GAME IF THERE ARE OTHER TEAMS FANS IN THE ARENA! It's soooooooooooo annoying!

And don't even get me started on that ole crap. They don't even know what sport they're watching.

Well, by that statement, it looks like you will never go to another NHL game in your life. There are always the opposing teams fans at a game. Just the way it is.

I was at the game tonight. I wore my white Campbell jersey (sluggo version). As I'm crossing a street to go from the parking lot to the forum, a white-haired guy in a white Chrysler 500 behind me at the light, rolls down his window and yells to me, "Is that a Campbell jersey?" I say "yes it is," turn around, and then do a double take to look back at him. He's still at the light, waves and says "Enjoy the game tonight."

:D Great stuff. I think I've decided to get a Sabres Jersey that says Gollisano.

If the Buffalo fans were really there because it was Dave Andreychuk night, you'd think that they could shut their mouths for 10 minutes and give the guy 10 minutes of respect. He gave the city 12 years of hockey and the crowd that showed from Buffalo treated him compelte disrespect.

Not really sure what this Tampa fan is talking about. The Andreychuk presentation was pretty cool. They showed a montage of his career, with many of hishighlights happening in a Buffalo uniform. Sabres fans did cheer when they showed the Buffalo goals.

The organization gave him some gag gifts (a rocking chair, a walker with skates) and some nice gifts (a plaque with his scoring sheets from his first and last games with Tampa, a framed photo of his family and the Cup, a golf trip to Scotland). They had their cheerleaders dressed in all the uniforms Dave wore with each his teams. When the girls wearing the Sabres jerseys skated out, the Buffalo fans cheered.

Other than then the cheering, I really didn't hear or see any disruptions during the ceremony.

What was weird was that they didn't let Andreychuk speak. They gave him his stuff and it was lights out. I heard Hull's speach on XM radio, and that thing went on forever. You'd think that the Lightning would at least let Dave say a couple of words.

They also gave out Andreychuk bobble heads to the fans. After the game, a p-o'd Tampa fan told me I should give up the bobble head since I was a Sabre fan. I told him that I like Andreychuk and watched him play since he was a rookie. I was bummed the both times the Sabres released him. That shut the guy up.

haha awesome Tommy G story!! Love it.

About the Tampa fans... theres not much to say. I was in DC and their fans were complaining that we were too loud and when i stood up in disgust on some penalties, people told me to sit down and "let it go". There's many Sabres fans in Pheonix, Tampa, Florida, Atlanta and Raliegh, and those fans hate us because hockey isn't a sport for them, it's much bigger for the true fans but for them it's a night out for the family. Different lifestyles, we grow up with hockey, they don't.

The popularity of the Sabres right now is massive. Western NYers all over the country, who always have supported them now go out of their way to buy a new jersey or new sweat shirt or hat because not only do they support them, but they want everyone see that they support them and want the Sabres know that they also support them financially. People are proud of the Sabres. It's a very weak arguement about the "new crisp" jerseys.

I also read once, the Buffalo News, is a top 5 most sold newspaper accross the nation. NY Times, Wash Post, LA Times and so another smaller city paper were top 4 and Buffalo News was 5th. So, it just shows you that people who move out still have passion for this region and still want to read about it.

btw, got this off another board. Listen to the Lets Go Buffalo chant... !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cgi4yD-hv3M

It almost sounded like the Tampa game was in Buffalo.

The team has got to love it.

I'd estimate that at least 40% of the crowd was for the Sabres. Although I did note that I saw one Quebec Nordiques shirt and a Maple Leafs shirt. I had to give the guy with the Leafs shirt on some #%^$#!. The people in the row behind me were from Kenmore, the people in front of me were from Jamestown. I talked to some folks from Williamsville and Cheektavegas.

I also read once, the Buffalo News, is a top 5 most sold newspaper accross the nation. NY Times, Wash Post, LA Times and so another smaller city paper were top 4 and Buffalo News was 5th. So, it just shows you that people who move out still have passion for this region and still want to read about it.

It wouldn't surprise me if this was true for a mid-market paper in national sales... but I can't see it out-selling Chicago, San Francisco, Houston, Atlanta, etc papers. If this were true the News wouldn't be having as much trouble as it does drumming up advertising revenue, etc.

It wouldn't surprise me if this was true for a mid-market paper in national sales... but I can't see it out-selling Chicago, San Francisco, Houston, Atlanta, etc papers. If this were true the News wouldn't be having as much trouble as it does drumming up advertising revenue, etc.

i worked for a pr agency during my last semester in college back this spring and we did a campaign with the top 20 u.s. newspapers based on circulation. the buffalo news was somewhere in the mid 40's. same size as charlotte, louisville, and okc.

I was at the game last night and I would estimate about 20% of the seats were full of Sabres fans...40% is somewhat inflated.

I did notice during the Andreychuk ceremony, there were some Sabres fans doing a Buffalo chant which was indeed out of place at the time as the ceremony was going on to honor the guy...still don't know why they didn't let him talk.

At first, when the Let's Go Buffalo chant started, the Lightning fans significantly overwhelmed the Buffalo fans and it was a spirited to and fro at the time. After the first period, the Lightning fans started grumbling a bit. One guy told me when I moved to Tampa I need to give up the team. I responded I didn't give up the team when I moved to Iraq...it shut him up. Other guys were saying stuff like...Southerners are polite, otherwise we'd have beer dumped over us. I told him hockey was designed to take place north of the Carolinas anyway, so manners didn't seem to matter.

Anyway, it was fun at the end when they announced the three stars and the guys got some good cheers in an away arena.

The game in March should be interesting. In Tampa, where bandwagon fans are the norm, not the exception, weekend games usually get more Lightning fans. Depending on the standings, frustrations could be high!

Archived