"Let's Go Sabres"

Chilly

Driving back to Wilson from the game tonight, I had the misfortune of hearing WGR's postgame show.

The guy hosting it was going on and on about how it would be "Let's Go Buffalo" because of tradition or something stupid. I felt like calling up and doing an "Up Your A$$ Hole" chant.

What the frick. The crowd was in the game tonight chanting and the Sabres won. WHO CARES WHAT THE CHANT IS AS LONG AS THEY WIN!

Get something real to complain about, like the sh-- that passed for officiating tonight. :angry:

Driving back to Wilson from the game tonight, I had the misfortune of hearing WGR's postgame show.

The guy hosting it was going on and on about how it would be "Let's Go Buffalo" because of tradition or something stupid.? I felt like calling up and doing an "Up Your A$$ Hole" chant.

What the frick.? The crowd was in the game tonight chanting and the Sabres won.? WHO CARES WHAT THE CHANT IS AS LONG AS THEY WIN!

Get something real to complain about, like the sh-- that passed for officiating tonight.? :angry:

I agree. Tradition is stupid. I hate that guy.

I was laughing when I heard Brad Riter say this during the post game show. Being a long time fan of the Sabres, I like the "Let's Go Buffalo" chant better than "Let's Go Sabres", but I'm glad to see fans in the seats screaming anything.

At one point in the 3rd period, both chants were going simultaneously. :lol:

I was laughing when I heard Brad Riter say this during the post game show. Being a long time fan of the Sabres, I like the "Let's Go Buffalo" chant better than "Let's Go Sabres", but I'm glad to see fans in the seats screaming anything.

At one point in the 3rd period, both chants were going simultaneously. :lol:

I noticed that...It seemed as though the "Let's Go Buffalo" chant was in response to the "Let's Go Sabres" one. I was pretty irked by the organ playing the 4-noted melody instead of the 5-noted one.

I mean, I realize that Buffalo doesn't have a whole lot of good sports memories, but the few traditions that we do have are our's. We shouldn't abandon them just because we like the present better than the past. Haven't I seen about 100 posts on this site concerning the UNIs?

Am I dreaming or does this thread actually exist? I guess if I went to more games, check that, any games I would know WTF you guys are talking about.

It's just WGR refusing to recognize how good the Sabres are and trying desperately to find something negative to talk about, so they make up this "controversy" about how Let's Go Sabres is replacing Let's Go Buffalo in fan chants and how awful it is.

They are both being used equally. God forbid the fans should have more than one cheer.

"Let's go Sabres" almost puts me in mind of a college basketball game. I would dare say it reflects a younger fan base. But it never seems to stick. I clearly remember that chant during the 1994 playoff series with the Devils. "Let's go Buffalo" always survives. But at least folks are chanting something, which is good.

Guest Dwight Drane

I agree with Brad. It has always been Let's Go Buffalo. A bunch of teams have the 5 note organ thingie to get a chant going, but we are the only city that can actually put in 5 syllables and rhyme it...except for Toronto, but it would sound like an Indian rain dance if they said it.

One of the coolest things I can remember while being a hockey fan is when a group of us were in Washington for the conference finals, and the organ played the chant to get "Let's Go Caps" going, but immediately after hearing the 5 notes, we all yelled "Let's Go Buffalo". There was a group of about 40 Leafs fans there who must have thought they'd be playing in the next round who joined us, and we took over the arena for about 30 seconds. I remember that to this day, thinking what a moron the organ player was to feed it to us like that.

I still say that people are fans for the sake of the city...not the team. I care about the Sabres and Bills because they represent Buffalo, my home. Not because they are the Sabres or the Bills. I think that's why so many Bills fans are revolting against that administration...because the suits up there don't know what the city is all about and we are ashamed to have that "Team" represent the city.

It's just WGR refusing to recognize how good the Sabres are and trying desperately to find something negative to talk about, so they make up this "controversy" about how Let's Go Sabres is replacing Let's Go Buffalo in fan chants and how awful it is.

They are both being used equally. God forbid the fans should have more than one cheer.

Yep, I flat out refuse to recognize that this team is any good.

Great point.

Aestetically, "Let's go Buffalo" comes off the tongue sounding nice but "Let's go Sabres"  is one syllable shorter and has that duh-duh, duh-duh quality?  :unsure:

Let's go Sabres definitely has a "duh" quality to it when compared to LET'S GO BUF-FA-LO. B-)

Maybe the organist has his orders. I mean, aren't they trying to promote the Sabres as regional, like playing some games in ROC. Hence,(lets go) Sabres, rather than Buffalo. Personally I think "Lets Go Sabres" sounds high schoolish.

"Lets Go Buffalo" lets the visitors know they're in our house and it has an intimidation factor( when the whole house is yelling it in unison), and " nobody, and I mean nobody, comes into our house and pushes us around".

Maybe the organist has his orders. I mean, aren't they trying to promote the Sabres as regional, like playing some games in ROC. Hence,(lets go) Sabres, rather than Buffalo.

Maybe they should go with: "Let's go Professional hockey team representing western New York and some parts of Southern Ontario." Maybe "Let's go Buffalo" will do just fine.

I think the people on talk radio REALLY need stuff to talk about, especially with the Bills all but finished. So making up a little "controversy" about the stupid chants at HSBC are prollie not the worst thing in the world. :)

Great point.

Lol...

Good to see your contributions on this board Braddy...

Brad is a great host on GR...knows his hockey, especially Sabres hockey...

Sometimes there's a time and place to discus odd things about this great game...

Talking about how great the Sabres over and over again can be redundant...Brad's just spicing things up a bit...

Let's all enjoy this talking about this great game and this great run, whether it be positive, negative or about the way we cheer...

It's let's go buffalo...always has...i don't participate in lets go sabres...sounds like lets go rangers...let's go buffalo is our proud cheer ( and i'm from Hamilton) :D

Great point.

Lol...

Good to see your contributions on this board Braddy...

Brad is a great host on GR...knows his hockey, especially Sabres hockey...

Sometimes there's a time and place to discus odd things about this great game...

Talking about how great the Sabres over and over again can be redundant...Brad's just spicing things up a bit...

Let's all enjoy this talking about this great game and this great run, whether it be positive, negative or about the way we cheer...

It's let's go buffalo...always has...i don't participate in lets go sabres...sounds like lets go rangers...let's go buffalo is our proud cheer ( and i'm from Hamilton) :D

I forgot to log in last time :blink:

Its nice to see Brad Riter reply in this thread. :)

I still think that we shouldn't care which they are chanting, as long as they are chanting and getting into the game. Its nice to see a crowd in Buffalo start chanting without being prompted from the Organist again.

I also agree with the person that said "God forbid the crowd have more then one chant." Both were being chanted during the game, and I participated in both. Sure, I love the Let's Go Buffalo chant, but I also like the Let's Go Sabres chant, because the crowd is participating in the game.

The thing we should really be focusing on here is not which crowd the chant is using, but the fact that HSBC was sold out last nigh and was rocking, after all the complaining earlier in the year that the crowd was lame, and that the arena was dead quiet.

Archived