Buffalo News John Vogl on the Sabres salary cap situation

LabattBlue

That piece reinforces my belief that we'll see a couple moves to free up some cap space over the next couple months. No comment on how it will affect the team or why it should or shouldn't be done, but I wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Kotalik, Kalinin or Marty shipped off to open a spot for Stafford on the big club and get some financial flexibility in return.

They'll end up with ~$3 million worth of space since Connolly won't be playing at all this year. That covers 3 players. I don't see that as a problem. Yes, they won't be able to add a higher priced player at the trade deadline, but how much is really out there anyway? If we need anything, it'll be a depth defenseman and look at how little was on the market last year. I don't see there being the need to dump someone to free up money.

They'll end up with ~$3 million worth of space since Connolly won't be playing at all this year. That covers 3 players. I don't see that as a problem. Yes, they won't be able to add a higher priced player at the trade deadline, but how much is really out there anyway? If we need anything, it'll be a depth defenseman and look at how little was on the market last year. I don't see there being the need to dump someone to free up money.

If Connolly doesn't come back, you are correct. The team does have a fair amount of flexibility.

If Timmy comes back, it isn't completely out of the question to see a winger moved for defensive depth. But unlike BM's view, I don't see Marty going anywhere this year and I don't see a team with only 6 experienced defensemen trading away any of that defensive depth (unless another D-man comes back). Since Kalinen makes the least of any of the Sabres "regular" D-men and the reason suggested to trade him is to free up cap space, I definitely don't see that happening.

I don't think that Connolly will miss the whole year, so I can see the team looking to make a move to free up some cap room. I could see some sort of package deal involving a winger and a defenseman that brings back a defenseman in return and some financial flexibility. In that case, I chose Kalinin because he has been the most-maligned out of this group but still has potential and a lot of worth to other teams.

Archived