Why John Gurtler Rules

elcrusho

The one thing that makes Jeanneret a great Buffalo Announcer and a hated national announcer is that he is infact a homer. His embellished Score calls get our adrenaline pumping while we listen/watch. While if you watch national broadcasted games on VS you get very bland commentary because they try not to show bias to any one team, while Jeanneret is obviously biased toward the Sabres. you just can tell in the difference of the ways he calls a Sabre Goal and a opposition goal.

Rick Jeanneret is not a homer. A homer is someone who makes it seem as though his or her team can do no wrong. When the Sabres take penalties and make mistakes, Jeanneret and Lorentz are among the first to point those mistakes out to the audience. Jeanneret is clearly a fan of the Sabres, and he gets as excited over their goals as we do, but there's nothing wrong with that. If other hockey fans have a problem with it, then they probably shouldn't be listening to the official broadcast of the Buffalo Sabres.

In summation, there's a big difference between being a fan and being a homer.

Rick Jeanneret is not a homer.

He's a homer. I see your point but, RJ is strictly home market.

As any La-la-la-la-fontaine can point out.

Also I remember games at the Aud on radio only and RJ would be calling pure fiction.

His goal as a broadcaster has always been to entertain - and he's the best at it.

Also I remember games at the Aud on radio only and RJ would be calling pure fiction.

His goal as a broadcaster has always been to entertain - and he's the best at it.

I read somewhere that he used to down a large beer per period. :beer:

No word on how many he had before the game. ;)

There seems to be a common misconception as to what a homer really is. A homer isn't simply a person who roots for his or her home team. Such a person is a fan. Jeanneret, for example, is a fan of the Sabres. And while that is the case, I have never seen him distort or falsify his call of the game the way that a homer would. He doesn't portray the Sabres as magical skating angels who have no faults. He doesn't blame the other team or the officials for every call that goes against the Sabres. He is incredibly enthusiastic, though, which is probably what leads many to assume that he's just another homer.

I normally wouldn't bicker over semantics like this, but referring to Rick Jeanneret as a homer seems rather obscene to me.

There seems to be a common misconception as to what a homer really is. A homer isn't simply a person who roots for his or her home team. Such a person is a fan. Jeanneret, for example, is a fan of the Sabres. And while that is the case, I have never seen him distort or falsify his call of the game the way that a homer would. He doesn't portray the Sabres as magical skating angels who have no faults. He doesn't blame the other team or the officials for every call that goes against the Sabres. He is incredibly enthusiastic, though, which is probably what leads many to assume that he's just another homer.

I normally wouldn't bicker over semantics like this, but referring to Rick Jeanneret as a homer seems rather obscene to me.

He is not "just" another homer. He's our homer. That is not to say he falsifies things - what he calls is actually happening (at least now that he simulcasts).

How is this for a test? Take any announcer ask yourself if they would have to modify their style to be acceptable for a national network broadcast.

2nd, transport yourself back to the Aud for a radio only game with a transistor radio in your hand.

Rico was the ultimate homer by any standard. Sabres won every fight, everything within 20 ft. was "right through the goal crease" - he was great theater.

And believe me, I have homer ears and eyeglasses on, so I'm not troubled by the moniker.

If you are not sure what a homer announcer is like, just tune into a Yankees game on the radio and listen to John Sterling for 3 hours.

NESN is the worst. They're completely unprofessional and whine about every call or non-call that goes against the Bruins. Just awful. Easily the worst in the league IMO.

NESN is the worst. They're completely unprofessional and whine about every call or non-call that goes against the Bruins. Just awful. Easily the worst in the league IMO.

And those of us with Center Ice get to listen to them whine this Thursday when Buffalo kicks Boston's azz!

And those of us with Center Ice get to listen to them whine this Thursday when Buffalo kicks Boston's azz!

Ugh, please, please, don't let Jack Edwards call this game!

An extreme "homer" makes Rick DiPietro into a Patrick Roy. I agree RJ is a homer, but there are varying degrees of homerness. He and Lorentz bring excitement to the home fans, but still remain objective when analyzing the play of the game.

I was so excited to watch the Thrashers-Sabres in high def the other night. About 1/2 the way through the first period, I found myself disappointed with the announcing, so I switched to the MSG, regular coverage. I lost the high def, but got back a much more animated play-by-play. Kind of like an old pair of sneakers. Hate to give them up cause their worn in just right and comfortable. Rick's style hypes the game, intentionally or unintentionally. I remember thinking that during the Isles game it was sooooo boring. The announcers were sooooo monotone. Rick definitely livens it up. He's old, but worn in just right.

I agree with all of this, but I can't give up the HD picture. It's just such a huge improvement, esp. on HDNet. Plus I thought the HDNet announcing team was surprisingly good (although maybe it's just that I had low expectations).

The dream situation of course would be Rick and Jim doing an HD telecast. Maybe next year.

after watching the center ice package, I have realized how great the sabres boradcast is. Every other cast is absolute trash compared to the sabres.....and hockey night in canada too. but every other broadcast is dumbed down and has a very simple analysis.

Not that I blame them considering the audience, and the fact that they are trying to attract a larger one.

Archived