Finally Caved...

Saber61

Well i finally caved... i bought a white sluggo.... i actually like the jersey too... i put a Navy Miller on order... not sure when it will arrive but they'll call me when it does... its a sharp jersey... even if the slug is on the front... i love it... and yea i caved... shoot me... I searched all of western new york to find a jersey... i couldn't find a single one except a white blank at the sabres store... sorta embaressing really... it would be really funny to see canadian cities get these jerseys before buffalo area stores get them.... ah well... i got one and one on order :D

Andy

Well, you didnt have to cave. I just received my "alternate" jersey from the Sabres store. I had it lettered with Miller. Has the number on the front just like the players too. Ordered it when the sabres played the pens in preseason got it yesterday. So i think it was like 3-4 weeks. Not bad considering what we been going thru the last two weeks. I think a lot of people are caving because no one knows were to get the "real jersey" but YOU CAN order this jersey at the sabres store.

well I think that it is safe to say , UNFORTUNATELY, that the slug will be staying for a while. I have not bought one thing with the slug, but enough people have caved in and spent a load of cash that this horrible logo will stay for a while.

the only hope we had was for it NOT to sell well, and it is selling because people don't have patience or willpower. I'm not saying Sabres61 should be included in this group, I don't know if he was one of the people that said they wouldn't buy a new one... but others that have sworn off the slug have caved in. The only hope we have is that the alternates sell enough and maybe in a few years when they re-do the alternate, everyone likes them better and they eventually switch for good... but that won't be for atleast 4-5 years.

sad but this is reality I'm afraid. i still won't be buying anything with the slug....

here here. the sabres have successfully crammed that ugly logo down our throats by making it near impossible to get the product that the consumer really wants (the unadulterated alternate/throwback). it's like a game of chicken, and the consumer has blinked first.

i don't have a time machine, but i can bet that when the islanders brought in mr. gorton for their new jerseys, they didn't pull the original merch from their shelves. so as people felt the need to purchase a jersey, they had a choice, and there was no wait. therefore, the organization realized their flop, and bingo...no more angry fisherman. in the instance of the buffalo sabres, the logo was leaked (on purpose, i'm sure), and after the outcry due to it's ridiculousness, the decision was made to make it the only item available for quite a while. i stand by my prediction that the original blues will not be readily available (buy it off the shelf with no wait) until after christmas. if the marketing dept. were smart, that's what they'd do. and yes, i think that sucks slug residue.

holy crap, tim russert on "meet the press" just held up a sabres jersey at the end of the show and recognized their 10-0 start. how random.

i must admit its been growing on me... and i already have a Lafontaine Origional Blue and Gold Jersey... i just want something from every era of sabres history... i bought the white one because i knew if i didn't then id probably not get another chance until playoff time or next season... i ordered the blue one cuze i actually love that one... i think its a really sharp jersey...

I might buy one because I like the jersey itself. However, it's very likely that I would buy a classic logo off Ebay and swap it out :nana:

Actually, if I could find enough friends willing to buy one, I might have one of the better logo designs made up, replace the slugs with them on our jerseys and have the names be "Coudaben", "Shoudaben", "Miteaben", etc.

...but others that have sworn off the slug have caved in.

NOT ME! :angry: The Sabres store has one of the "old time hockey" hooded sweatshirts, but they ruined it by placing the slug on it instead of the original logo. You would think the original logo should go hand in hand with a sweatshirt containing the wording "OLD TIME HOCKEY"!!! :doh:

Good post, TM8. I am still resisting the slug, but I feel like I am fighting a losing battle... :unsure:

People are going to buy the new junk because the team is so good and it's new and it's available, etc. In a year, when all the jerseys are side by side on the shelves the classic stuff will sell better because it just plain IS better.

In one or two years, the Sabres are re-coloring the classic jersey to match the current shades of blue and gold, which will probably provide another bump for the "throwback" sales. After a couple years of that they'll make the third jersey their home jersey and come out with a white jersey to match it. And if not for aesthetic reasons, the team will change uniforms again to make some easy money. It would be really easy to whip up a version of the old white jersey without the blue on the shoulders and more blue and yellow on the sleeves.

Remember, the whole uniform package has only been out for less than two months. It won't have any staying power. The banana slug is going to look really dated in a couple years. The classic uniforms are so great that people never stopped demanding them during the 10 years the team was red and black (and very good for much of that time).

Quality products have staying power. Trendy things never last.

Archived