2007-2008 Sabres

inkman

• 1 month later...

i'd swap stafford and pominville, but that's just me. also, not that it matters, but why not put your third line up at the top, and bump 1 and 2 down a notch? that's where they all play now, essentially...you're just substituting tim for briere.

you really conceding that buffalo will let spacek go and sign teppo for another year? i thought it was a foregone conclusion that nummie would retire...?

Update:

Vanek-Roy-Stafford

Paille-Drury-Kotalik

Hecht-Connolly-Pominville

Kaleta-Gaustad-Ryan

Tallinder-Lydman

Campbell-Kalinin

Paetsch-Numminen

You don't have Spacek in there, and he is under contract for 2 more years after this year. Where's Spacek? I think Teppo retires or we don't resign him.

To a large extent, I would agree with what you have there. However, this may just be a pipe dream, but I would not be too surprised if we kept Zubrus in the event we lost either Briere or Drury. I think we would know very early on if we are able to sign Briere and Drury before they hit UFA. This means, if we cannot keep one or both, I think we do make a run at trying to keep Zubrus before July 1st. He also comes in much cheaper than either Briere or Drury.

I do not think Kotalik will be here next year. I know he's under contract, but given our lack of draft picks this year and Kotalik's inconsistent play, I think Darcy trades him at the draft. I think we definitely lose Mair and probably Peters. I also think Clarke MacArthur makes the big team next year. I don't think he'll be in Rochester. Zagrapan and Hunter will be the guys there in addition to whoever we draft and the college guys that decide to turn pro. That's kind of how I see it.

You don't have Spacek in there, and he is under contract for 2 more years after this year. Where's Spacek? I think Teppo retires or we don't resign him.

I think they move Spacek in the offseason. At a cap hit of 3.33 mill, he hasn't lived up to the price tag. Lindy and Darcy have said so themselves. When the coach and GM are calling players out, it doesn't bode well for their future.

Afinogenov, Connolly, Kotalik, Hecht, Pominville, Gaustad, Spacek, Lydamn, Tallinder, Kalinin, Campbell, and Miller are under contract for a total of $28.35 million.

Stafford and Paille have made Kotalik (and his big contract) obsolete...If Timmy can come back to anywhere near his '06 level, and if Zubrus flashes offensive skill when paired with Afinogenov, I think we'll let either Briere or Drury walk...just a hunch..lots of "ifs"

My gut is telling me Danny's going to go. From Paul Hamilton's comments about last offseason and Lindy's reactions to Briere's on ice antics(diving and whining to officials), I wouldn't be surprised to see #23 and not #48 next season in a Sabre sweater.

My gut is telling me Danny's going to go. From Paul Hamilton's comments about last offseason and Lindy's reactions to Briere's on ice antics(diving and whining to officials), I wouldn't be surprised to see #23 and not #48 next season in a Sabre sweater.

If we don't see #48, do you think we'll see #15 next year or is he just a mercenary for this year? I, honestly, would not mind seeing Zubrus stay here if we can't keep one of Briere or Drury.

If we don't see #48, do you think we'll see #15 next year or is he just a mercenary for this year? I, honestly, would not mind seeing Zubrus stay here if we can't keep one of Briere or Drury.

I think part of the rationale behind bringing Zubrus is was to see if he could fit into the Sabres' system, giving them 4-5 months to figure out whether Zubrus + Stafford/Connolly/Player X could compensate for the loss of Briere's offense.

ink, I haven't seen anything specific about Lindy's reactions to Danny's antics - is there a specific story or link? I admit, outside of watching the games, I haven't had the time to read all the articles on the Sabres lately...

its possible to keep both Briere and Drury, but it needs to get done now, not later or else they risk losing both.

They both give us something different. Briere gives the Sabres an offensive playmaker and a team leader, while Drury gives them some grit and another team leader and a great faceoff man.

The key to this is that someone else (a tier 2 level player) would have to be dumped. Someone like a Hecht, Connolly, Kotalik, Max, etc.

Personnally, I think you let Hecht and Kotalik go (Connolly depending on his status and if he is a risk for another injury/can he come back to the player he was at the end of 2006), deal them for picks if you can, and replace them with players from Rochester like Stafford and Paille

You keep Conklin as the backup behind Miller, and Maybe bring in some other Defencemen and let Teppo go.

We know the weakness is defence right now, so that should be the main priority after re-signing Briere and Drury

I don't know if Mair will be back next season, but I'm guessing it depends on what the Sabres think of him, and how much he'll re-sign for. Unfortunately for most of you, you will probably all go off the deepend when they re-sign Peters (this year has shown you need a heavyweight for the occasional fight) and he will probably sign for small raise from what he got this year (pretty close to the league minimum). Ruff seems to like him, along with the rest of the team, and they need an enforcer. I think you keep him in the same role, and bring in Kaleta for some more toughness (this could also allow Mair to leave, if he wants too much)

Keeping Zubrus could happen too (especially if some salary is cleared (like getting rid of Hecht, Kotalik, etc) but he would have to come at around 3 million a year

Keeping Zubrus could happen too (especially if some salary is cleared (like getting rid of Hecht, Kotalik, etc) but he would have to come at around 3 million a year

I used to live in Washington, so I know a little bit about this. Zubrus was actually looking for 3 million a year, but he wanted 5 years, which was what he and the Caps could not work out. Now, since his trade, I don't know if he thinks he's worth more money or not, but I think 3 million is reasonable for him if he still thinks that's his value. I would not mind keeping him around if we are forced to lose Briere or Drury.

Also, one quick thing, it is not outside the realm of possibility to keep these guys even if we win the Cup and they are still not resigned. The precedent I use would be the 2001 Colorado Avalanche who resigned Rob Blake, Joe Sakic, and Patrick Roy after the Stanley Cup and before UFA. So, they had about 3 weeks to negotiate and resign them, and they did. I don't know if Darcy can or will do that, but it is not outside the realm of possibility.

I used to live in Washington, so I know a little bit about this. Zubrus was actually looking for 3 million a year, but he wanted 5 years, which was what he and the Caps could not work out. Now, since his trade, I don't know if he thinks he's worth more money or not, but I think 3 million is reasonable for him if he still thinks that's his value. I would not mind keeping him around if we are forced to lose Briere or Drury.

Also, one quick thing, it is not outside the realm of possibility to keep these guys even if we win the Cup and they are still not resigned. The precedent I use would be the 2001 Colorado Avalanche who resigned Rob Blake, Joe Sakic, and Patrick Roy after the Stanley Cup and before UFA. So, they had about 3 weeks to negotiate and resign them, and they did. I don't know if Darcy can or will do that, but it is not outside the realm of possibility.

They had no Cap to deal with so it wouldn't apply.

Anyway.

It looks more and more like they will need Briere's money to keep Vanek. A long term deal for Vanek should be the teams #1 priority.

They had no Cap to deal with so it wouldn't apply.

Anyway.

It looks more and more like they will need Briere's money to keep Vanek. A long term deal for Vanek should be the teams #1 priority.

I'd actually put it at #2 after signing Drury, but I definitely want to see a deal done before someone makes an obscene offer to him.

Yes, the rumour of Vanek flirting with a 4mil/yr offer from someone is real. We have seen his streaky side but the rest of the league thinks he is the man. I would call this "new money"

Devils advocate :( , if Vanek goes, we must keep drury/briere. kotalik,roy or both go and Stafford and Paille step up next season full time. Nature takes its course.

This should be the best off season we have ever seen by the Sabres. I am interested to see if or who gets a franchise commitment contract (more than a 3yr deal) now the the franchise is abit more stable.

Archived