[Sabre Rattling]Drury keeps Sabres grounded

SabresBeat

Last season, Buffalo Sabres coach Lindy Ruff was named NHL Coach of the Year for leading a team of which no one expected much to 52 wins. Heading into this season, and especially after the first five games, I suspected Lindyâs job might be even harder this season because expectations were going through the roof.

But [...]

http://www.sabresreport.com/blogs/?p=321

That is a great attitude and the main reason why the fans are so pumped. For as long as I can remember, the regular season was a breeze-through until the playoffs came. That is why the NFL has such a giant following....with 16 games, every one matters. But this year it really looks like they are focused on inflicting pain on other teams. I never remember a regular season attitude like this.

Great blog. I went to a scrimmage during the preseason and noticed how Drury was fired up on the ice, even though he was just playing against his own team. He was hitting everything near him and skating hard every shift. To me it said a lot about his character and leadership ability. It has to be hard to get up to game speed and mindset after the offseason, and I saw how he single handily was trying to get everyone ready.

He keeps them grounded, but remember he was the one who asked for a picture of the Cup in the lockerroom. Interesting contradiction there...

He wanted them to see what they were shooting for the whole time. I don't really see a contradiction. Why can't he remind them what the end goal is, but not let them get ahead of themselves along the way.

He keeps them grounded, but remember he was the one who asked for a picture of the Cup in the lockerroom. Interesting contradiction there...

I don't look at it as a contridiction... it just has double meaning. "This is our REAL goal.... but to get there, tonights game is the only thing to worry about right now so go bust your a$$"

He wanted them to see what they were shooting for the whole time. I don't really see a contradiction. Why can't he remind them what the end goal is, but not let them get ahead of themselves along the way.

I think he was thinking of the contradiction Casey Kasem kind of way...

Feet on the ground... Reach for the stars...

Who knew my first blog would elicit a Casey Kasem reference!

Thanks to everyone for reading.

My favorite CK moment is when he used to announce the Frankie Goes to Hollywood hit "Relax... when you want to come...". Seeing that smiling, goofy look on his face while saying those words was hysterical.

Archived