Sabres radio network--question

Eleven

Last night, I missed the game while driving from Syracuse back to Buffalo. The clear night meant that I couldn't pull in WGR until well on this side of Rochester. Is there really a "radio network" of relay broadcasts across WNY, and if so, is there a list of stations which relay the WGR broadcast? I'd hate for this to happen again.

Last night, I missed the game while driving from Syracuse back to Buffalo. The clear night meant that I couldn't pull in WGR until well on this side of Rochester. Is there really a "radio network" of relay broadcasts across WNY, and if so, is there a list of stations which relay the WGR broadcast? I'd hate for this to happen again.

I had the same issue last year for the Islanders game the night before Thanksgiving. I got the Islanders broadcast throughout the whole game, which took until I got to Syracuse. I also picked up a few other games, but WGR did not come in at all.

950 AM in Rochester carried the games last year, but didn't carry the pre- or post-game shows.

I don't know if they are broadcasting the games this season.

There are nights here in the DC area when you can pick up Rick and Jim on WGR. That's some serious reach!

I remember scanning for any hockey game I could find last year, suddenly hearing Rick. I nearly jerked the car off the road!

I've picked up KB here in Texas (yeah, WKBW). When they bounce off the clouds right....

There are nights here in the DC area when you can pick up Rick and Jim on WGR. That's some serious reach!

I remember scanning for any hockey game I could find last year, suddenly hearing Rick. I nearly jerked the car off the road!

The night when I couldn't get WGR I could pick up Toronto's broadcast clearly, and one other one. I don't remember who it was, but I remember wondering why I could get that channel and not WGR.

The night when I couldn't get WGR I could pick up Toronto's broadcast clearly, and one other one. I don't remember who it was, but I remember wondering why I could get that channel and not WGR.

Doohickie has the reason--"when they bounce off the clouds right." When I was a Junior at UB, I picked up Cards, Cubs, Reds, and Red Sox broadcasts in my dorm room. In my car in Buffalo, I can get Michigan football with a very clear signal on AM 800 on a cloudy Saturday afternoon.

Since there will probably never be a completely cloudless day in WNY when I am driving 130 miles up I-90 (each is an extremely rare event) during a Sabres game (about 27% of the year since they WILL play at least 98 games), I guess I'll be alright.

Doohickie has the reason--"when they bounce off the clouds right." When I was a Junior at UB, I picked up Cards, Cubs, Reds, and Red Sox broadcasts in my dorm room. In my car in Buffalo, I can get Michigan football with a very clear signal on AM 800 on a cloudy Saturday afternoon.

Since there will probably never be a completely cloudless day in WNY when I am driving 130 miles up I-90 (each is an extremely rare event) during a Sabres game (about 25% of the year since they WILL play at least 96 games), I guess I'll be alright.

Get an XM. They have a lot of Sabres games on. Usually the only time they don't carry the Sabres is when I am in the car on a long road trip. :lol:

In all seriousness, I think that Islanders game was the only time I couldn't pick up a Sabres game on XM when I needed to. Luckily the Islanders broadcast signal lasted all the way until the end of the game (barely).

Archived