Peters?

deluca67

You really don't think his fight was a major momentum-changer in the game? Did you watch the game? Do you think Lindy thinks it was a big moment in the game? To me, the before/after in terms of the Sabres' passion and determination was huge.

Certainly, Miller was more valuable than Peters last night. But I just don't see how anyone could say that Peters didn't add major value.

How can you consider something that is staged as a "momentum changer"? Don't get me wrong. I can appreciate a good fight and would even say it could change the game a bit. But, it has to be between two "hockey players".

If Gaustad and Chelios went at it because the physical flow of the game dictated it? That's great. Sending two talentless goons over the boards to waste 5 minutes is just that, a waste.

PASabrefan said it best in another thread. The game changed on the 5 on 3. That sparked the team. That and Miller are the reasons the Sabres won last night.

I have to point out again. How much of a physical force Gaustad and Mair were when paired with Kotalik and then Roy. Gaustad was 10 of 13 on faceoffs. I can't wait until the Connolly issue is resolved. Either he comes back or gets put on IR so Pailie can come up and round out the Sabres Roster. It would be great to see Mair and Gaustad have a chance to work with a regular linemate.

The Sabres didn't show up until right after Peters fought. Must be a coincidence.

EDIT: Of course Peters' biggest critic here is the same guy that thinks Danny Briere can be replaced by anyone.

DB is BARELY earning his $$$, mostly through shootouts.

How can you consider something that is staged as a "momentum changer"? Don't get me wrong. I can appreciate a good fight and would even say it could change the game a bit. But, it has to be between two "hockey players".

If Gaustad and Chelios went at it because the physical flow of the game dictated it? That's great. Sending two talentless goons over the boards to waste 5 minutes is just that, a waste.

PASabrefan said it best in another thread. The game changed on the 5 on 3. That sparked the team. That and Miller are the reasons the Sabres won last night.

I have to point out again. How much of a physical force Gaustad and Mair were when paired with Kotalik and then Roy. Gaustad was 10 of 13 on faceoffs. I can't wait until the Connolly issue is resolved. Either he comes back or gets put on IR so Pailie can come up and round out the Sabres Roster. It would be great to see Mair and Gaustad have a chance to work with a regular linemate.

While everyone in the arena may have known Peters and the other guy were going to fight, that doesn't make it "staged". The WWF is staged. Both Peters and the other guy were trying their best to win that fight. More importantly, Peters fought, and Lindy wanted him to fight, in order to light a fire under the rest of the team. You and PAFan may think that didn't happen until the 5-on-3. This is of course a subjective question and you are welcome to your opinion. IMHO, the sabres were totally back on their heels, letting Detroit completely dictate the game, before that fight, and the fight woke them up. That was also real, not staged.

As far as Gaustad and Mair being held back by having Peters on their line -- I don't agree. Gaustad gets about 12-15 shifts per game (some on the PK); Mair about 10. If Peters gets 3-4 shifts per game, that still leaves 6-8 shifts for Gaustad and Mair to skate with Kotalik, Vanek, Pominville or Roy -- ie a really talented scoring forward. That isn't such a handicap, and frankly I think it makes us a more productive team. ie this way Kotalik, Vanek, Pominville and Roy each get 2-3 min. more of ice time per game. So Kotalik and Vanek get 14 min. of ice time (like they did last night) instead of 11.

Regarding Connolly, I think the only way he goes on the long-term IR is if Peters plays his way out of the lineup and we then need to call up Paille.

Bottom line is we are going for the cup this year. I see keeping Peters in the lineup in the same way that I see keeping Marty around at $2.1 million -- it's a valuable utility piece that can chip in with a timely contribution to the overall championship effort.

While everyone in the arena may have known Peters and the other guy were going to fight, that doesn't make it "staged". The WWF is staged. Both Peters and the other guy were trying their best to win that fight. More importantly, Peters fought, and Lindy wanted him to fight, in order to light a fire under the rest of the team. You and PAFan may think that didn't happen until the 5-on-3. This is of course a subjective question and you are welcome to your opinion. IMHO, the sabres were totally back on their heels, letting Detroit completely dictate the game, before that fight, and the fight woke them up. That was also real, not staged.

As far as Gaustad and Mair being held back by having Peters on their line -- I don't agree. Gaustad gets about 12-15 shifts per game (some on the PK); Mair about 10. If Peters gets 3-4 shifts per game, that still leaves 6-8 shifts for Gaustad and Mair to skate with Kotalik, Vanek, Pominville or Roy -- ie a really talented scoring forward. That isn't such a handicap, and frankly I think it makes us a more productive team. ie this way Kotalik, Vanek, Pominville and Roy each get 2-3 min. more of ice time per game. So Kotalik and Vanek get 14 min. of ice time (like they did last night) instead of 11.

Regarding Connolly, I think the only way he goes on the long-term IR is if Peters plays his way out of the lineup and we then need to call up Paille.

Bottom line is we are going for the cup this year. I see keeping Peters in the lineup in the same way that I see keeping Marty around at $2.1 million -- it's a valuable utility piece that can chip in with a timely contribution to the overall championship effort.

Sorry N. What you are describing here is the Sabres finding their legs after a 6 day layoff. Which is longer then the All Star break.

He is putting up a point per game.

This is really for a different thread. But what the hell. For $5 million a year? You should have more then a point per game.

Sorry N. What you are describing here is the Sabres finding their legs after a 6 day layoff. Which is longer then the All Star break.

This is really for a different thread. But what the hell. For $5 million a year? You should have more then a point per game.

They just so happened to find their legs right after the Peters fight. Hmm.

They just so happened to find their legs right after the Peters fight. Hmm.

With 14 shots over the final two periods I can see what you mean by the impact Peters had :lol: :lol: :lol: They finished the first with three shots and five in the second? So where is this improvement in play you want to believe in?

The Sabres killed off a two man advantage with 11:21 left in the second. The Sabres battled through got the powerplay goal from Vanek they needed. And Miller shut the door. But hey, if it makes to feel better to give Peters imaginary credit? By all means. I'll stick to the players that actualy help the team win. ;)

With 14 shots over the final two periods I can see what you mean by the impact Peters had :lol: :lol: :lol: They finished the first with three shots and five in the second? So where is this improvement in play you want to believe in?

The Sabres killed off a two man advantage with 11:21 left in the second. The Sabres battled through got the powerplay goal from Vanek they needed. And Miller shut the door. But hey, if it makes to feel better to give Peters imaginary credit? By all means. I'll stick to the players that actualy help the team win. ;)

What if Lindy identifies the fight as a significant point in the game? Will you give Peters some credit?

What if Lindy identifies the fight as a significant point in the game? Will you give Peters some credit?

No.

Part of Lindy's job is to prop up his players. Even the ones that suck.

I'm sure given a couple of beers you could get Lindy to admit he would rather have a hockey player he could use throughout the game in Peters spot.

Did you watch the game, or are you just reading the box score. The Sabres didn't show up. They looked like they didn't even belong in the same league as the Wings. They had 1 shot on goal. Peters gets in a fight. The team immediately starts skating better, and gets a goal within a minute.

Say what u will about Peters, but that fight was awesome! He kicked that dude's *ss. He may be an ugly mo fo too, but u know Lindy loves that stuff, and so did I! Little old school hockey on a new speed game. If anone's po'd because Peters ins't scoring, their stupid, he's here to replace Rob Ray. As long as he does his job, I will be happy!

Not that I really want to jump into this debate, but tonight Juice made a couple of serious bonehead plays. If he skates 6' further forward before icing the puck, Gaustad probably doesn't hook the Stranger he's racing for the puck and the Sabres don't give up 2 goals in the 1st.

In the 3rd, if he isn't on the ice, maybe the Strangers don't get their 4th goal. Considering the guy probably played less than 4 minutes, I think it's pretty sad that he was a -1 (and in my book a -3).

He is a better player than he was last year, but that isn't saying much. Paille or Timmy would bring far more to this lineup.

Not that I really want to jump into this debate, but tonight Juice made a couple of serious bonehead plays. If he skates 6' further forward before icing the puck, Gaustad probably doesn't hook the Stranger he's racing for the puck and the Sabres don't give up 2 goals in the 1st.

In the 3rd, if he isn't on the ice, maybe the Strangers don't get their 4th goal. Considering the guy probably played less than 4 minutes, I think it's pretty sad that he was a -1 (and in my book a -3).

He is a better player than he was last year, but that isn't saying much. Paille or Timmy would bring far more to this lineup.

I wasn't too impressed with his play tonight either. I noticed his bonehead play on the 4th goal, but he wasn't the only one. Straka had all the time in the world on that shot.

Did you watch the game, or are you just reading the box score. The Sabres didn't show up. They looked like they didn't even belong in the same league as the Wings. They had 1 shot on goal. Peters gets in a fight. The team immediately starts skating better, and gets a goal within a minute.

Because they were on the power play. I guess Peters drew the call from the box :lol:

How about 3 points tonight?

He could have had more. He was geting his chances which is how you can tell his minds in the game. When he works the puck just seems to find him. When he doesn't? He's invisable.

I wasn't too impressed with his play tonight either. I noticed his bonehead play on the 4th goal, but he wasn't the only one. Straka had all the time in the world on that shot.

Yes. But the other players contibute throughout the game. Peters did nothing in his 5 minutes ( most of which came in garbage time) but cost the Sabres scoring chances.

And I thought Peters was our "inforcer"? When the scrum broke out late in the third why did Peters still have his gloves on? Isn't his job to protect his teammates? He doesn't get paid to play hockey. He sucks so bad he can't even do that right. ;)

Because they were on the power play. I guess Peters drew the call from the box :lol:

He could have had more. He was geting his chances which is how you can tell his minds in the game. When he works the puck just seems to find him. When he doesn't? He's invisable.

Yes. But the other players contibute throughout the game. Peters did nothing in his 5 minutes ( most of which came in garbage time) but cost the Sabres scoring chances.

And I thought Peters was our "inforcer"? When the scrum broke out late in the third why did Peters still have his gloves on? Isn't his job to protect his teammates? He doesn't get paid to play hockey. He sucks so bad he can't even do that right. ;)

You sure can belabor a point.

I would put it this way. Having Andrew Peters is like having a 2 iron in your golf bag.

Not the most useful iron and not one you are going to use every hole. But now and then

you go a little off the fairway on a par 5 and you have to keep the ball low under the trees and it

is good that you have the 2 iron.

Sure the 2 iron should stay in the bag 95% of the time. But sometimes it is pretty damn useful.

Peters is the Sabres 2-iron. You don't blame him for not being your lpitching wedge (that would be Kotalik on his first goal of the season :P )

You sure can belabor a point.

I would put it this way. Having Andrew Peters is like having a 2 iron in your golf bag.

Not the most useful iron and not one you are going to use every hole. But now and then

you go a little off the fairway on a par 5 and you have to keep the ball low under the trees and it

is good that you have the 2 iron.

Sure the 2 iron should stay in the bag 95% of the time. But sometimes it is pretty damn useful.

Peters is the Sabres 2-iron. You don't blame him for not being your lpitching wedge (that would be Kotalik on his first goal of the season :P )

Peters would be a 2 iron if the head was missing off the club. Making it useless. ;)

He had a bad game. So what everyone does sometimes.

No.

Part of Lindy's job is to prop up his players. Even the ones that suck.

I'm sure given a couple of beers you could get Lindy to admit he would rather have a hockey player he could use throughout the game in Peters spot.

Well, I guess your mind is made up on this one, eh?

In that case, just to inflame things a bit further, I'm going to state that Peters' fight last night vs. the Rangers was also highly value-added. We are up 5-2 and they send someone out to start something and change the momentum, just like we sent Peters out the previous night vs. Detroit. Peters completely spanked Colton Orr of the Rangers. There was no spark resulting from that fight. The Sabres' domination of the game continued unabated. And I was pretty glad that we didn't have to risk Gaustad or Mair breaking a thumb or separating a shoulder just to fend off the Rangers' heavyweight.

And, for the record, I think Lindy would tell you after a few Labatts that he plays Peters because he thinks having Peters in the lineup, given the alternatives he has now (ie with Connolly not available) gives the team the best chance to win. Once Connolly comes back Peters will sit at least 2/3 of the games.

Well, I guess your mind is made up on this one, eh?

In that case, just to inflame things a bit further, I'm going to state that Peters' fight last night vs. the Rangers was also highly value-added. We are up 5-2 and they send someone out to start something and change the momentum, just like we sent Peters out the previous night vs. Detroit. Peters completely spanked Colton Orr of the Rangers. There was no spark resulting from that fight. The Sabres' domination of the game continued unabated. And I was pretty glad that we didn't have to risk Gaustad or Mair breaking a thumb or separating a shoulder just to fend off the Rangers' heavyweight.

And, for the record, I think Lindy would tell you after a few Labatts that he plays Peters because he thinks having Peters in the lineup, given the alternatives he has now (ie with Connolly not available) gives the team the best chance to win. Once Connolly comes back Peters will sit at least 2/3 of the games.

Right now Lindy has three options: 1. - Dress Peters, knowing that he'll have limited PT; 2. - Dress Paetsch as a 7th "D", and maybe an occasional forward shift; 3 - dress neither Peters nor Paetsch and go with 17 skaters instead of 18.

Maybe we should shelve this debate for now, since it doesn't matter who we want in the lineup. Personally I would much rather have Paille in the lineup if possible, but right now it isn't feasible, since the club is so close to the salary cap, thanks to Connolly's dead cap space. Quite simply, Lindy has very little choice in playing Peters. That isn't to say he has played exceptionally well or exceptionally poorly, but right now, for better or worse, we are stuck with him. Maybe we can roll out this discussion after the Sabres get some cap relief, when Connolly comes back or is LT-IR'ed, someone is traded, etc., but right now the argument is moot.

Inkman - congratulations on having the best avatar yet. I'm sure it has been mentioned already but that is my first time seeing it.

If anything, the games this weekend proved that there still might be a need for a guy that can fight. Maybe we can debate if Mair or Gaustad can be that guy instead of Peters, but until one of those two fight, I think we need Petey in there. Either way, the team responded to Petey's fight on Friday so he must have their respect otherwise they would not have rebounded as they did and that is all I need to know as far as this debate goes.

Archived