Paille Sent Down To Rochester

Wild Jay

According to WGR 550, Dan Paille has been sent down to Rochester. I find this very very strange given that Thorburn was just lost on waviers. I really thought that move meant Paille made the team.

Is this just us trying to further lower our salary burden? Or have we perhaps claimed someone else off waviers ourselves?

Plus, this leaves us pretty thin on the bench. Granted, we can call some of these guys up if needed. But still if there is an injury just before a game at warm ups, we don't have the bench depth to help out on the fly.

According to WGR 550, Dan Paille has been sent down to Rochester. I find this very very strange given that Thorburn was just lost on waviers. I really thought that move meant Paille made the team.

Is this just us trying to further lower our salary burden? Or have we perhaps claimed someone else off waviers ourselves?

Plus, this leaves us pretty thin on the bench. Granted, we can call some of these guys up if needed. But still if there is an injury just before a game at warm ups, we don't have the bench depth to help out on the fly.

That's my initial thought as well. There has to be something in the works since this leaves us with only 12 forwards (correct?).

This appears to be a strictly cap related maneuver. I would not be surprised to see Paille recalled after 5:00PM tonight after Timmy's been placed on BLTI-IR. Until Tim is placed on BLTI-IR (if he in fact does end up there), the Sabres don't have enough room under the cap to keep Paille. The Sabres 22 man roster counts $43.9MM toward the $44MM cap. The 22 man roster doesn't include Paille.

The Sabres have to have Tim on the roster and be under the cap before they can place him on BLTI-IR and make other roster moves.

That's the first thing that came to mind when I read the thread title. Perhaps he is actually way ahead of schedule. Otherwise, I don't get it.

According to reports today on WGR, it's actually the opposite situation right now. I guess he suffered more headaches after exercising recently, thus he will be holding back again on his physical activities. Minor setback, but a setback for sure.

After some thought, I think this is a cap situation like others have posted and that Paille will be brought back up very soon.

What this also means is that Peters will play every night!!!!!

Unless the Sabres are planning on bringing in another forward via waivers or trade, I don't get this at all. Peters was useless last year, will be useless this year & will be useless every year from now until he is no longer in the NHL. 2-3 minutes of ice time, 5 minutes for shadow boxing and a quick exit to the locker room. I can't wait to see the new & improved Peters! <_<

:angry: :angry:

This appears to be a strictly cap related maneuver. I would not be surprised to see Paille recalled after 5:00PM tonight after Timmy's been placed on BLTI-IR. Until Tim is placed on BLTI-IR (if he in fact does end up there), the Sabres don't have enough room under the cap to keep Paille. The Sabres 22 man roster counts $43.9MM toward the $44MM cap. The 22 man roster doesn't include Paille.

The Sabres have to have Tim on the roster and be under the cap before they can place him on BLTI-IR and make other roster moves.

Ok, that makes sense. I've been going under the assumption that Connolly was already on IR.

Why has it taken this long to put Connolly on LT-IR? Why not put Connolly on LT-IR beforehand and not even having to deal with a paper transaction? It's not like Darcy didn't see it coming.

Why has it taken this long to put Connolly on LT-IR? Why not put Connolly on LT-IR beforehand and not even having to deal with a paper transaction? It's not like Darcy didn't see it coming.

i'm not a CBA guru, however, i believe it has to do with the final offseason numbers or the start of season numbers... If my reasoning is correct, Connolly will be IR'd and Paille will be called up before gametime tomorrow...

Because there is no BLTI-IR for training camp. The team could have put him on regular IR, but they wouldn't have gained anything by it.

Putting Tim on IR prior to the start of the season wouldn't have saved Thorburn from going through waivers because the team was over the cap. The team must be at or under the cap when they put a player on BLTI-IR. (Which is why I don't expect that Gionta's contract will be signed / filed with the league until tomorrow. If he's on the roster today, I believe that would put NJ over the cap. Supposedly he got ~4MMM/yr, but Mogilny gets $3.5MM this year and the team only had ~$3MM free with Mogilny's salary.)

The Sabres wouldn't have gained anything by placing Tim on IR prematurely, but had he made a miracle recovery after they put him on BLTI-IR they may have lost his services for longer than necessary. Heck, if Lindy's planning on playing Peters tomorrow, they may not call Paille up for a few more days. The BLTI-IR classification would be retroactive to the start of the season.

Putting Tim on IR prior to the start of the season wouldn't have saved Thorburn from going through waivers because the team was over the cap. The team must be at or under the cap when they put a player on BLTI-IR. (Which is why I don't expect that Gionta's contract will be signed / filed with the league until tomorrow. If he's on the roster today, I believe that would put NJ over the cap. Supposedly he got ~4MMM/yr, but Mogilny gets $3.5MM this year and the team only had ~$3MM free with Mogilny's salary.)

I believe TSN has it reported that with the 2 deals they made (trade with SJ and Mogilny on the IR) they were 7+ mil under the cap so signing Gionta to 4 mil a year would still leave them with some room

I believe TSN has it reported that with the 2 deals they made (trade with SJ and Mogilny on the IR) they were 7+ mil under the cap so signing Gionta to 4 mil a year would still leave them with some room

The Devils didn't get the Mogilny "relief" until AFTER they were below the salary cap. His cap hit is ~$3.5MM. The team had to have a cap hit (minus him) of $40.5MM or less. After he got placed on BLTI-IR, THEN they get the extra $3.5MM of cap relief.

If the team had signed Gionta (and the paperwork went through all the channels) prior to dealing with Alex, the Devils would have been over the cap. They'd have had $3.5MM of room but $4MM to squeeze into that.

Because there is no BLTI-IR for training camp. The team could have put him on regular IR, but they wouldn't have gained anything by it.

The Sabres wouldn't have gained anything by placing Tim on IR prematurely, but had he made a miracle recovery after they put him on BLTI-IR they may have lost his services for longer than necessary. Heck, if Lindy's planning on playing Peters tomorrow, they may not call Paille up for a few more days. The BLTI-IR classification would be retroactive to the start of the season.

Looks like it was a money-saving decision to send Paille down:

Sabres coach Lindy Ruff said it was "a difficult decision" to send winger Daniel Paille to Rochester on Tuesday. The move was made not because Paille had a poor camp, but apparently to save money. Paille's NHL salary is $760,000. He would make five figures in the minors.

I am wondering if the delay in putting Timmy on the LT-IR means they thought he might show enough progress to warrant keeping him off, but with his "setback", I would think they would want to bring someone in to give them some extra depth (and keep Peters in the press box.)

General Manager Darcy Regier said the Sabres started the season with a salary cap number of $43.95 million, just $50,000 under the ceiling.

That pricey number includes - and always will - concussed center Tim Connolly, who is making $2.2 million.

Connolly has not been placed on long-term injured reserve yet. Once he is, Regier said the new collective bargaining agreement would allow the Sabres to spend up to Connolly's salary less their $50,000 cap cushion on personnel to replace him.

I am wondering if the delay in putting Timmy on the LT-IR means they thought he might show enough progress to warrant keeping him off, but with his "setback", I would think they would want to bring someone in to give them some extra depth (and keep Peters in the press box.)

I believe I read somewhere that the Sabres have to wait something like 10 games before they can put him on the LT-IR, So no one can be called up until game 11.

As for the Keep Peters in the Press Box comment, he must be showing something out there since last seasons coach of the year is putting him on the ice and sending a promising young forward back to Rochester, and letting thorburn go on waivers. If Peters was as bad as everyone says he is, shouldn't he be the one cut or on waivers? I will take the choice that Ruff made over a poster on an internet message board anyday

I believe I read somewhere that the Sabres have to wait something like 10 games before they can put him on the LT-IR, So no one can be called up until game 11.

As for the Keep Peters in the Press Box comment, he must be showing something out there since last seasons coach of the year is putting him on the ice and sending a promising young forward back to Rochester, and letting thorburn go on waivers. If Peters was as bad as everyone says he is, shouldn't he be the one cut or on waivers? I will take the choice that Ruff made over a poster on an internet message board anyday

He has to be diagnosed as to be out for 10 games or 26 (I believe). He doesn't actually have to miss that time beforehand.

He has to be diagnosed as to be out for 10 games or 26 (I believe). He doesn't actually have to miss that time beforehand.

Thanks for the explanation, hopeleslyobvious. I wasn't sure why moves hadn't been made yet, but that clears it up some.

Yep, you're right - he should be on the top line with Briere and Drury, b/c obviously our Coach of the Year sees something in him - that must be why he gave Peters 1:19 in ice time last night; Andrew responded with no SOG and no PIM. :rolleyes:

Come on, don't jump out on some ridiculous limb to make a point - are you saying that you would rather have Peters in the lineup instead of Paille? Really? Do you also think that Lindy would rather have a one-dimensional player like Peters in the lineup instead of Paille, who can be used in a variety of situations?

My guess here is that b/c the team is hamstrung by Timmy's injury status, the salary cap (and Marty's salary), and the number of good young players that came into camp (not to mention those who were out of options) Lindy is forced to make due with a lineup that is a little different than the one he wants to use for most of the year. Once a decision is made on Timmy we'll see where Peters, Paille & co. fit into Lindy's lineups. Right now I think he is forced to play the hand he has been dealt.

Come on, don't jump out on some ridiculous limb to make a point - are you saying that you would rather have Peters in the lineup instead of Paille? Really? Do you also think that Lindy would rather have a one-dimensional player like Peters in the lineup instead of Paille, who can be used in a variety of situations?

My guess here is that b/c the team is hamstrung by Timmy's injury status, the salary cap (and Marty's salary), and the number of good young players that came into camp (not to mention those who were out of options) Lindy is forced to make due with a lineup that is a little different than the one he wants to use for most of the year. Once a decision is made on Timmy we'll see where Peters, Paille & co. fit into Lindy's lineups. Right now I think he is forced to play the hand he has been dealt.

Well, seeing as how Peters is making more then Paille (I believe), Why would Ruff keep Peters and Send Paille back down to the minors, or expose Thorburn to waivers. If Peters is so horrible and one dimensional like everyone here is always saying and the "Goons" are not needed in the new NHL, why is Peters still here? Obviously Ruff sees something in him and maybe in the offseason Peters worked hard and has gotten better. How is the team being Hamstrung by Timmy and the salary cap aaffect keeping Peters over Paille or Thorburn

See the post directly above yours. Peters is on a 1-way contract, so his contract is the same in Buf or Rochester; Paille has a two-way contract, and if you read the clip I posted earlier, you would have seen this:

Looks like it was a money-saving decision to send Paille down:

Sabres coach Lindy Ruff said it was "a difficult decision" to send winger Daniel Paille to Rochester on Tuesday. The move was made not because Paille had a poor camp, but apparently to save money. Paille's NHL salary is $760,000. He would make five figures in the minors.

You also might have noticed this part of the same post:

General Manager Darcy Regier said the Sabres started the season with a salary cap number of $43.95 million, just $50,000 under the ceiling.

That pricey number includes - and always will - concussed center Tim Connolly, who is making $2.2 million.

Connolly has not been placed on long-term injured reserve yet. Once he is, Regier said the new collective bargaining agreement would allow the Sabres to spend up to Connolly's salary less their $50,000 cap cushion on personnel to replace him.

Until the team does something to get relief from Timmy's salary (LT-IR or whatever) they are stuck with the guys they have.

BTW, Sending Paille down saves the team on two fronts - first of all, it keeps the cheaper Peters in the lineup (Peters' NHL salary is $460,000; Paille is making $760,000 as a Sabre) which on its own saves $300K; then by sending Paille to Rochester, his salary becomes a five-figure salary (can't find what it is, but I would guess its around $75-90,000 or so) saving the team even more until they bring him back up or reactivate Timmy...

BTW, Sending Paille down saves the team on two fronts - first of all, it keeps the cheaper Peters in the lineup (Peters' NHL salary is $460,000; Paille is making $760,000 as a Sabre) which on its own saves $300K; then by sending Paille to Rochester, his salary becomes a five-figure salary (can't find what it is, but I would guess its around $75-90,000 or so) saving the team even more until they bring him back up or reactivate Timmy...

It's probably a bit lower. He was drafted back in 2002, which the current CBA doesn't cover, but the max minor league salary for a 2005 pick (earliest covered by the CBA) is $62,500. Paille probably falls somewhere in the 60-70K range.

Archived