NJ Devils

inkman

http://nhlpa.com/WebStats/PlayerSearchV2.asp?OIDTeam=9486

I have their total salaries at $44,589,586. That is without Gionta, Rasmussen, Albelin, Clemmeson, Hale , Langdon and Martin.

Without those guys they have 19 guys on their roster. I know they just did the Malakov deal but that was just to get under the cap because they have to pay Mogilny. Is this right?

I have their total salaries at $44,589,586. That is without Gionta, Rasmussen, Albelin, Clemmeson, Hale , Langdon and Martin.

Without those guys they have 19 guys on their roster. I know they just did the Malakov deal but that was just to get under the cap because they have to pay Mogilny. Is this right?

http://www3.telus.net/public/dreyes/nhl/njd.html

This site has Molgilny listed as a long term injury which if I understand correctly (Dave feel free to correct me on this) means that he does not count against the cap. I haven't heard anything official about him being a long term injury exception.

I find it a little strange that he was good enough to be on the ice in LA with other NHL players prior to the start of camp, but he is too injured to play.

I think you're right. They are trying to get a pass from the league, claiming that Mogilny's latest injury is a career-ending one, but I don't think that's working for them. The Malakhov deal is interesting because essentially they are giving up a 1st round pick for Jim Fahey. Malakhov isn't even expected to report to the Sharks, and Korolyuk is expected to stay in Russia. Something had to give, but it's crazy that it ends up costing them a 1st rounder. Steal for San Jose.

By the way, neither Langdon nor Albelin were in camp for the Devils, which most likely means they won't be back. The Devils also have Scott Lachance, Nathan Perrott, Jim Dowd and Dan Lacouture listed on their roster (all were camp invites yet to receive a formal contract offer). I'd expect more manuvering, wouldn't you?

Guys, here's the problem that I have with all this. Why is no one saying that Lou Lamoriello has no one to blame for the salary cap mess he's in but himself? I've been listening to Home Ice on XM 204, and none of the radio guys on there are pointing fingers at him for this debacle. There's just no excuse for letting it get that far out of hand. According to the Home Ice boys, the Devils could get fined for staying over the cap a week after the season starts.

However you look at it, this is not the time to rejoice over someone else's misfortunes, lest it come back to haunt us.

On the other hand, if it was Darcy Regier, all of Sabredom would be calling for his head!

Guys, here's the problem that I have with all this. Why is no one saying that Lou Lamoriello has no one to blame for the salary cap mess he's in but himself? I've been listening to Home Ice on XM 204, and none of the radio guys on there are pointing fingers at him for this debacle. There's just no excuse for letting it get that far out of hand. According to the Home Ice boys, the Devils could get fined for staying over the cap a week after the season starts.

However you look at it, this is not the time to rejoice over someone else's misfortunes, lest it come back to haunt us.

On the other hand, if it was Darcy Regier, all of Sabredom would be calling for his head!

I dunno, Spector (of spectorshockey.net and FOX Sports fame) was saying that. He is, imo, the most sensible guy in the business.

Absolutely true, but what happens in the NFL when teams are over the cap? The other teams start licking their chops, waiting to see if someone becomes available real cheap. I wouldn't mind seeing Gionta in a Sabres uniform, but I know there is a better chance of seeing me wearing a Canes jersey...there are too many hoops to jump through to make Gionta a Sabre, such as who it would cost us off the roster to bring him in, but still I can dream...

I dunno, Spector (of spectorshockey.net and FOX Sports fame) was saying that. He is, imo, the most sensible guy in the business.

Huh! You got me on that one. I didn't know that there was someone out there of the same opinion as me. I'm glad I'm not the only one out there that thought that.

I don't understand, who on here is "rejoicing over someone else's misfortunes"? :huh:

http://www3.telus.net/public/dreyes/nhl/njd.html

This site has Molgilny listed as a long term injury which if I understand correctly (Dave feel free to correct me on this) means that he does not count against the cap. I haven't heard anything official about him being a long term injury exception.

I find it a little strange that he was good enough to be on the ice in LA with other NHL players prior to the start of camp, but he is too injured to play.

TSN had an article about the Mogilny situation last week (i want to say it was Bob MacKenzie). It's no lock that he'll stay in the long term injury list. No one is sure whether or not the injury is as bad as the Devils say it is. The league was going to have an independent doctor (ie. non-Devils doctor) examine Mogilny to see how bad he really is. I don't know if this has happened yet.

TSN had an article about the Mogilny situation last week (i want to say it was Bob MacKenzie). It's no lock that he'll stay in the long term injury list. No one is sure whether or not the injury is as bad as the Devils say it is. The league was going to have an independent doctor (ie. non-Devils doctor) examine Mogilny to see how bad he really is. I don't know if this has happened yet.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=179712&hubname=nhl

I don't know if that was the league Dr. or someone else.

TSN has now posted the league doctor has said he can be placed on the long term injury list and his salary won't count against the cap.

TSN has now posted the league doctor has said he can be placed on the long term injury list and his salary won't count against the cap.

Was it the league's Dr? It just says Independent medical evaluation. It still doesn't make sense to me how he was able to be on the ice in August with this chronic hip problem.

If it involves the Yankees... ;)

...then we throw a parade!

Was it the league's Dr? It just says Independent medical evaluation. It still doesn't make sense to me how he was able to be on the ice in August with this chronic hip problem.

It was an independent medical examiner, according to TSN,,,

The New Jersey Devils' salary cap problems are rapidly diminishing.

Sources tell TSN that an independent medical evaluation has determined that Alexander Mogilny's chronic hip condition makes him physically unfit to play and that when the Devils file their roster with the league Tuesday, they will be able to designate Mogilny as a Long-Term Injury.

All this conjecture about injury status is somewhat relevant but I'm stillcurious WTF is Lamourello(sp?) doing with just 19 guys on his roster 24 hours before the start of the season?

He had no choice. They had no cap space. As far as I know, the unsigned guys (I know Gionta and Hale were there) were in camp, they're just not officially on the roster.

He had no choice. They had no cap space. As far as I know, the unsigned guys (I know Gionta and Hale were there) were in camp, they're just not officially on the roster.

Isn't he the one who could have made some deals to free up cap space instead of acting like the victim and waiting for this Mogilny injury deal? I would have preferred a more proactive GM if he were running my team. He had no idea what was to become of Mogilny's cap hit and should have been on the horn moving players. BTW, aren't they going to be awfully short on depth this year?

Isn't he the one who could have made some deals to free up cap space instead of acting like the victim and waiting for this Mogilny injury deal? I would have preferred a more proactive GM if he were running my team. He had no idea what was to become of Mogilny's cap hit and should have been on the horn moving players. BTW, aren't they going to be awfully short on depth this year?

I'm sure he was trying to make a deal the whole way. There has to be someone willing to accept that deal though. I'm sure there were plenty of teams who wanted to sit back and wait to see if the Devils would start offering Gionta or one of the other players that actually had any value.

I'm not all that familiar with their system, so I don't know how deep the team will or won't be. I will say this though, if Brodeur misses any significant time, they're screwed.

Lou is one of the most dynamic GMs in the NHL. This may look like a mess on the surface, but it's most likely all falling into place just as planned. Look for things to quickly be finalized with Gionta, Martin, and Hale. Lou takes care of his boys. They wouldn't have all reported to camp without a contract if they didn't have "Lou's Guarantee".

...then we throw a parade!

It was an independent medical examiner, according to TSN,,,

The New Jersey Devils' salary cap problems are rapidly diminishing.

Sources tell TSN that an independent medical evaluation has determined that Alexander Mogilny's chronic hip condition makes him physically unfit to play and that when the Devils file their roster with the league Tuesday, they will be able to designate Mogilny as a Long-Term Injury.

Does this ruling or I guess Can this impact the Sabres with Timmy C?? Hell if Molgilny can step on the ice in August and be exempt why can't he be included too as he's not even cleared to skate let alone limited exercises without being halted......don't get me wrong I love Tim but i just looking for a comparison here???

Lou is one of the most dynamic GMs in the NHL. This may look like a mess on the surface, but it's most likely all falling into place just as planned. Look for things to quickly be finalized with Gionta, Martin, and Hale. Lou takes care of his boys. They wouldn't have all reported to camp without a contract if they didn't have "Lou's Guarantee".

You might be right, but I just can't see how that can happen. Unless they offered a bunch of 1-yr contracts at below market value for the guys left unsigned with the promise to *wink wink* take care of them at the nextcontract...I don't know. I really have no idea how its going to play out, the Mogilny ruling should help them significantly, but a lot of people, myself included, are going to be watching this carefully over the next few days.

I get the feeling that Gionta's about to sign a pretty big contract. His cousin posts on another board I'm at and he's acting like an idiot right now. "Be ready to check TSN... blah blah blah".

I hope it's a 16 year deal, just to stick it to BU and DiPietro.

That said, how exactly is he going to get 7-8 million of salary into a 4 million dollar slot?

Archived