The view from Long Island

PASabreFan

An Islander friend of mine emailed me and put it perfectly: "colors cool, logo drools."

Someone should do a little research on how Islander fans managed to send Gorton back to sea. And on other successful logo rebellions. I'm sure it comes down to $$$ for the teams, so if you're against the snot smear, don't give in now!

Once again, kudos to Larry Quinn for leaking the logo over the summer. Brilliant. Well played. When you think about it, don't you want an evil bastard like presiding over your team?

An Islander friend of mine emailed me and put it perfectly: "colors cool, logo drools."

Someone should do a little research on how Islander fans managed to send Gorton back to sea. And on other successful logo rebellions. I'm sure it comes down to $$$ for the teams, so if you're against the snot smear, don't give in now!

Once again, kudos to Larry Quinn for leaking the logo over the summer. Brilliant. Well played. When you think about it, don't you want an evil bastard like presiding over your team?

I asked a friend, in NYC, doesn't like or follow hockey, for his opinion on these uni's (not letting on my opinion either way). I emailed him the Buffalo News photo of home and away jerseys flanking another Sabre in the alternate. First thing he said was "Penguins." It was just interesting to get a complete outsider's response to that.

I asked a friend, in NYC, doesn't like or follow hockey, for his opinion on these uni's (not letting on my opinion either way). I emailed him the Buffalo News photo of home and away jerseys flanking another Sabre in the alternate. First thing he said was "Penguins." It was just interesting to get a complete outsider's response to that.

That response seems to be coming up a lot in circles outside of WNY... :huh:

That response seems to be coming up a lot in circles outside of WNY... :huh:

I think the white jerseys need to be fixed. So much attention has been devoted to logo, without thinking about the colors and design. The silver stripe says Penguins to me.

Honestly I would have been happier with the original white uniform that was leaked. To refresh memory, I put it down here below. At least it resembles original blue and gold better.

http://2ksports.com/forums/showthread.php?p=834836

Well from what I'm reading on these boards and hearing from people I know, it appears that many people who were against the logo are now giving in to the uniforms. I don't get it at all, but the vibe is that those of us who are standing by the fact that the jerseys/logo are an abomination are in the minority now.

Again, I'm not saying I'm right and anyone else that likes the jerseys is wrong, but I am saying that all of you that denounced the thing for months and are now saying you're buying jerseys are a bunch of hippocrites. The rest of us need to buck up and continue the grassroots effort to get some decent jerseys

I'm not giving up on ya, Goodfella - I'm still in the fight!

I don't want to turn this into another "bash LQ" thread, but I think he was dead on when he said to wait, we'll like the final version. I actually like the blue one, not crazy about the white, but he was correct in assuming that the color scheme and design would distract some people from the hideousness of the logo. Honestly, I could live with the new sweaters - if the logo was better.

On a side note, I am getting just as tired of the "who cares what we're wearing, stop whining about the new uniforms" whining as those who whine about all the new logo talk. I'm also getting tired of the witty little comments some are making in every thread about blaming everything on the slug.

I'm not giving up on ya, Goodfella - I'm still in the fight!

I don't want to turn this into another "bash LQ" thread, but I think he was dead on when he said to wait, we'll like the final version. I actually like the blue one, not crazy about the white, but he was correct in assuming that the color scheme and design would distract some people from the hideousness of the logo. Honestly, I could live with the new sweaters - if the logo was better.

On a side note, I am getting just as tired of the "who cares what we're wearing, stop whining about the new uniforms" whining as those who whine about all the new logo talk. I'm also getting tired of the witty little comments some are making in every thread about blaming everything on the slug.

Agreed, agreed, and agreed. That's exactly where I stand on the jerseys, and I am equally annoyed with the "stop the logo talk" threads and the "we might lose a cup because of the slug" threads. I know in that case there was a quote by Numminen or something attributed to it, but still it is so radical and ridiculous it boggles my mind.

Agreed, agreed, and agreed. That's exactly where I stand on the jerseys, and I am equally annoyed with the "stop the logo talk" threads and the "we might lose a cup because of the slug" threads. I know in that case there was a quote by Numminen or something attributed to it, but still it is so radical and ridiculous it boggles my mind.

Not because of the slug. Because of the uniform design. I guess my problem is that I take a veteran defenseman's word for it when he says the design could cause a problem. I'm the one who took the comment to its logical extreme and said it could cost us a Cup -- not Teppo. How ridiculous is it though? If Teppo is right, who's to say that turnover wouldn't come in overtime of the seventh game of the finals? Huh?

Not because of the slug. Because of the uniform design. I guess my problem is that I take a veteran defenseman's word for it when he says the design could cause a problem. I'm the one who took the comment to its logical extreme and said it could cost us a Cup -- not Teppo. How ridiculous is it though? If Teppo is right, who's to say that turnover wouldn't come in overtime of the seventh game of the finals? Huh?

And what if in overtime of the 7th game of the finals someone on the other team turns the puck over because he thought the blue sleeve belonged to someone on his team, and the Sabres score on the turnover. Then the uniforms would be responsible for winning us a cup. :lol:

I think the white jerseys need to be fixed. So much attention has been devoted to logo, without thinking about the colors and design. The silver stripe says Penguins to me.

Honestly I would have been happier with the original white uniform that was leaked. To refresh memory, I put it down here below. At least it resembles original blue and gold better.

http://2ksports.com/forums/showthread.php?p=834836

That imgae is not and never was a "leak." It is a mock-up made by someone after the logo was leaked. The jersey is one from the Celcius designs made in 2003 and re-colored to match the colors that came out when the logo leaked. Also note that the "B's" are vertical rather than horizontal and one is backwards. Wearing that jersey would make us laughing stocks. Typos and mistakes like that are too big to ignore.

Again, though. The opposing team would be dealing with a similar but reverse problem. Teppo doesn't see anyone to pass to because everybody has blue sleeves. But the other team might pass to anyone because everyone has blue sleeves.

Viewed from that perspective, one would expect a Sabres D-man under heavy pressure to dump the puck out of the zone or ice the puck unnecessarily in a worst case, which leads to less of a chance to start a rush up the ice or a faceoff in the Sabres zone. But it doesn't result in a Volchenkov type oops.

One would expect the Volchenkov to happen to one of the other team's D-men, as when he take a quick glance up he sees an arm that looks like it's attached to one of his buddies. That, to me is where the greater risk of a turnover comes.

And what if in overtime of the 7th game of the finals someone on the other team turns the puck over because he thought the blue sleeve belonged to someone on his team, and the Sabres score on the turnover. Then the uniforms would be responsible for winning us a cup. :lol:

What if we're playing against Colorado or Phoenix? :blink: ;)

Archived