When Miller Returns

Allan in MD

When Miller is back up to snuff, it is time to finally pull the trigger. All three goalies, as it appears now, will be in demand, the way goalies are going down. It will be the optimal time to make a decision regarding Biron or Mika. I am hoping Biron gets moved. Plus, the way he's been playing, you may be able to get someone of significant value.

When Miller is back up to snuff, it is time to finally pull the trigger. All three goalies, as it appears now, will be in demand, the way goalies are going down. It will be the optimal time to make a decision regarding Biron or Mika. I am hoping Biron gets moved. Plus, the way he's been playing, you may be able to get someone of significant value.

I agree. Based on last night, Pitt should be in the market for a goalie. Not sure what they have that I'd want though. They aren't going to give up their 1st round pick, since it will probably be pretty high. I'd probably take their 2nd.

Actually, I just read this morning that Pittsburgh might be looking to move some of their higher price players cause they are starting to run into cap problems because of the amount fluery could make with all bonuses and everything by the end of the season

damn... how does a team that bad have cap problems... i thought we had it bad... were sittin pretty right now...

I'd like to see them go to a three goalie rotation for awhile. Either every third start or play until you lose.

What if you are hot as hell and lose one on a fluke. Should you be sat down? Or, under this proposed system, you continually play well and finally lose one because you, quite simply, need a break. Should you be penalized/benched for a, possibly, indefinite period of games because a day off is advisable. Plus, you will have three highly pressured, unhappy campers to deal with.

A three goalie rotation doesn't solve your problem; it only extends the duration of it. You should go after something valuable and that you really need when you have the luxary of being able to do so, at minimal risk.

Do I think that Regier should trade Biron(and prospects/picks) as soon as Miller is healthy? ABSOLUTELY!

Will Regier do it? ABSOLUTELY NOT!

I have no faith in Darcy making a pre-emptive strike. Instead, he will continue to wear the rose colored glasses and believe that his blueliners are fine as is.

PROVE ME WRONG DARCY!!

Do I think that Regier should trade Biron(and prospects/picks) as soon as Miller is healthy? ABSOLUTELY!

Will Regier do it? ABSOLUTELY NOT!

I have no faith in Darcy making a pre-emptive strike. Instead, he will continue to wear the rose colored glasses and believe that his blueliners are fine as is.

PROVE ME WRONG DARCY!!

Just remember that Biron's salary makes him difficult to trade. I think it's more likely that Biron remains a backup (and he's more than capable to play that role) while Noronen, whose salary is 25% of Biron's, gets traded.

I do hope the Sabres are smart enough to hold out for something tangible in return, even if it means waiting until the March trade deadline. (Actually, if they wait until then, maybe they can unload Biron.)

Just remember that Biron's salary makes him difficult to trade.  I think it's more likely that Biron remains a backup (and he's more than capable to play that role) while Noronen, whose salary is 25% of Biron's, gets traded.

I do hope the Sabres are smart enough to hold out for something tangible in return, even if it means waiting until the March trade deadline.  (Actually, if they wait until then, maybe they can unload Biron.)

Biron may not be that difficult to trade if his numbers stay positive and one of the teams getting desperate for an experienced netminder feel they must deal. Stranger things have happened. The big question is whether Darcy is willing to seriously explore these possibilities.

Just remember that Biron's salary makes him difficult to trade. I think it's more likely that Biron remains a backup (and he's more than capable to play that role) while Noronen, whose salary is 25% of Biron's, gets traded.

I do hope the Sabres are smart enough to hold out for something tangible in return, even if it means waiting until the March trade deadline. (Actually, if they wait until then, maybe they can unload Biron.)

i hope to god there able to get some immediate return on Biron... a draft pick is not gonna help us right now... this team needs to make the playoffs for the fans sake and if they can't then all the draft picks in the world aren't going to win back fans.

That's what they did in training camp and the preseason. Miller won the job. It's not his fault he broke his thumb. The job should be his to lose as soon as he comes back.

Gee, I hope Ryan is not afraid of a little competition.

Marty has been playing great and deserves a chance to compete for the starting job.

Gee, I hope Ryan is not afraid of a little competition.

Marty has been playing great and deserves a chance to compete for the starting job.

Biron had the starting job the last 3 years. He lost it in training camp. The job belongs to Miller. I don't think it has anything to do with being afraid of competition, but he should be focused on winning games and helping the team make the playoffs, not keeping the starting job.

Miller won the job, and it should stay his until he plays like he shouldn't be the starter. Having it all up in the air is not the best thing for this team. We've been playing the goalie game for a few years now, do you really want it to continue? It's no secret that a lot of players around the league don't want to play for this team. IMHO it's because of the team doing things like this. So it's time to put a stop to it.

i think marty is more playing like this to up his trade value. he doesn't really care about the team but knows he has a chance to go out on a good note and ask for a team to be traded to instead of being dealt to a team like atlanta or st.louis... although he'll probably go there anyway. But he knows he doesn't have the starting job, all he can hope for is he builds his trade value up enough that they'll trade him and get him out of here. I think noronen has the same type of mindset... oh well if gets us through the first half of the season thats enough for me. Then we let miller take over.

Biron had the starting job the last 3 years. He lost it in training camp. The job belongs to Miller. I don't think it has anything to do with being afraid of competition, but he should be focused on winning games and helping the team make the playoffs, not keeping the starting job.

Miller won the job, and it should stay his until he plays like he shouldn't be the starter. Having it all up in the air is not the best thing for this team. We've been playing the goalie game for a few years now, do you really want it to continue? It's no secret that a lot of players around the league don't want to play for this team. IMHO it's because of the team doing things like this. So it's time to put a stop to it.

Right now, Marty is playing better than Ryan was playing when he was starting.

As for who beat out whom, I am not so sure that any particular goalie was better than the other in the preseason . Moreover, Marty did not play last year. He has now found his groove.

I know there are a lot of Marty bashers on this board. I just hope the Sabres make their decision based on who is playing better at the time rather than just hand the job to someone.

As I said, a little competition never hurt anyone -- and it certainly will not hurt the Sabres to chose who to play based on who is playing best at the time.

If Ryan is up to the challenge, great. If Marty is up to it, great.

Right now, Marty is playing better than Ryan was playing when he was starting.

As for who beat out whom, I am not so sure that any particular goalie was better than the other in the preseason . Moreover, Marty did not play last year. He has now found his groove.

I know there are a lot of Marty bashers on this board. I just hope the Sabres make their decision based on who is playing better at the time rather than just hand the job to someone.

As I said, a little competition never hurt anyone -- and it certainly will not hurt the Sabres to chose who to play based on who is playing best at the time.

If Ryan is up to the challenge, great. If Marty is up to it, great.

Biron has had a few good games. But Miller had some great games too when he was starting. And I will say what I always do (most of you are probably) sick of hearing it by now) but stats don't tell the whole story.

How can you not be sure that any goalie beat any other goalie for a starting job? They went in to training camp saying that the best goalie in camp and preseason would be the starter. Miller was named the starter. That sounds an awful lot like one goalie beating out the other two.

I think we're going to find that Miller in his groove is a lot better than Biron in his groove. There's a reason a lot of sportswriters expect Miller to be the future of Team USA's team. Let's not ruin him by benching him.

I think you're missing the point if you think they are handing the job to Miller. He won the job.

I hate to draw a comparison to football, but a goalie controversy is very similar to a quarterback controversy.

What if it takes Miller a couple games to get back into the groove? Should he lose the starting job because of that? Miller might lose a few games when he gets back and getting rid of the rust, but he's the better goalie. Looking at the short term of a week or two it might seem more beneficial to have Biron in there, but over the course of the season it will be better to have Miller in there.

And that of course is not to mention the money that we would free up by getting rid of Biron.

They need to trade Biron while he's playing well. His trade value is not going to get much better and after 3 years of seeing him play, we know it's only a matter of time before he returns to his usual sporadic self. Dont' be fooled by his recent play.

Archived