New Uniform Process

Bmwolf21

Putting everyone's feelings about the logo and sweater aside for a moment, can we all agree, at the very least, that with ~2 years (maybe more) to get the design, debut and fan merchandise taken care of, the team really screwed the pooch on the whole process? Not involving the fans, hastily called press conferences, a lack of product, internet "leaks" (planned or not) the Sabres.com and Shop.NHL.com screwups - this whole thing looks very bad for the organization. Maybe I am in the minority here, but really - as PASabreFan said it was a slam dunk, an open net, a can't miss, and yet they managed to screwup almost every step of the way...

Thoughts?

Putting everyone's feelings about the logo and sweater aside for a moment, can we all agree, at the very least, that with ~2 years (maybe more) to get the design, debut and fan merchandise taken care of, the team really screwed the pooch on the whole process? Not involving the fans, hastily called press conferences, a lack of product, internet "leaks" (planned or not) the Sabres.com and Shop.NHL.com screwups - this whole thing looks very bad for the organization. Maybe I am in the minority here, but really - as PASabreFan said it was a slam dunk, an open net, a can't miss, and yet they managed to screwup almost every step of the way...

Thoughts?

Kind of like Brian Holzinger on a breakaway. Really though, I know what you're saying. This certainly doesn't say much about the marketing portion of this organization. Clearly it was a public relations blunder from day 1 with all the leaks and the fact that they never once allowed fan opinion to enter into their thought process. It is shameful. And then they get VP of Communications Mike Gilbert on Channel 2 TEXT OF THE INTERVIEW CAN BE FOUND HERE saying the guy that designed the logo was originally from Buffalo. Well whoopdy frickin doo. As many other have said, let's show some resolve here...don't buy this thing, you and I deserve better and certainly the people of this city who are loyal sports fans and shell out their hard-earned money deserve better than this crap. I know the jersey is such a small issue in the larger scope of life, but that just proves that we can make a difference and get it changed.

I agree it could have been dealt with better on several fronts, however I also believe that there is a certain contingent of people who will never give the organization a shred of credit for anything, that they are so intent on finding faults that they will blow what I believe to be small issues out of proportion - I guess they cant call for Darcy and Lindy's head this off season so they have to direct the negative energy elsewhere.

Thoughts?

Yes.

I agree it could have been dealt with better on several fronts, however I also believe that there is a certain contingent of people who will never give the organization a shred of credit for anything, that they are so intent on finding faults that they will blow what I believe to be small issues out of proportion - I guess they cant call for Darcy and Lindy's head this off season so they have to direct the negative energy elsewhere.

That is probably so far from the truth that it isn't funny. Most of us on here give all the credit in the world to Darcy and Lindy for the job they did last year and this offseason, and have had to defend Darcy from a small handful of people who thought he screwed the pooch by letting Grier, Dumont and McKee walk. Not speaking for anyone else on this thread or board, but I can see several places where the team screwed up, and I am not afraid to call them on it. This is a PROFESSIONAL sports franchise, and this should have been handled better from the getgo. Why were the Ducks able to keep the new logo/wordmark pretty much a secret until a couple days before the unveiling, and how come they were able to at least have their website ready to take orders for the new merchandise, but ours is still showing red & black merchandise?

The more I think about this, I'm starting to realize that this was most likely reebok's call the whole way. We have two new jerseys in the NHL this year (the year the new style jersey was originally supposed to come out), and both jerseys have a non-traditional (ie. crappy) logo. Every other logo, whether you like them or not, works as a crest (more of a circular or square shape, as opposed to the more rectangular shape of the sabres and ducks). This can't be a coincidence.

People have ripped on Quinn's comments, but if I'm right, what else can he do? He can't throw reebok under the bus because they are the league's top sponsor. He has to attempt to deflect blame, making him look like the villain in the whole process.

I really hope that reebok never gets to move forward with their new style jersey, because the entire league will end up looking like us. That will really screw over the league. I'll gladly take two years of these jerseys if it helps the NHL realize that they can't change to the new reebok style.

Thoughts?

They suck at marketing. Let's get the season started.

That is probably so far from the truth that it isn't funny. Most of us on here give all the credit in the world to Darcy and Lindy for the job they did last year and this offseason, and have had to defend Darcy from a small handful of people who thought he screwed the pooch by letting Grier, Dumont and McKee walk. Not speaking for anyone else on this thread or board, but I can see several places where the team screwed up, and I am not afraid to call them on it. This is a PROFESSIONAL sports franchise, and this should have been handled better from the getgo. Why were the Ducks able to keep the new logo/wordmark pretty much a secret until a couple days before the unveiling, and how come they were able to at least have their website ready to take orders for the new merchandise, but ours is still showing red & black merchandise?

If I remember right the Ducks uniforms leaked a couple of days before the unveiling as well. Although it was only a couple of days before.

The ducks had the fans involvement, and their sweaters still turned out ugly, maybe even worse then before. I don't trust fans to design anything.

The fans would have fired Lindy and Darcy years ago.

Would put the team together bobby clarke style.

I leave this up to the professionals. Professional designers, professional marketers, you criticize them for leaks, but when have the Sabres been in the news this much in a summer? Never. People might actually notice they start the season in October and not when the Bills stop playing. And professional hockey people.

Their going to sell alot of jerseys, be whatever they are. And you know what, we're all gonna come together and cheer, when they come on the ice. (like this morning)

Lets be professional fans, thats what we are good at, well kinda

Thoughts?

Sorry Wolf.

I don't want fans making any decisions for the team.

Like the 800 year old faux-GM of the Bills once said. "If you start listening to fans you end up sitting with them."

The jerseys are a nice compromise. Blue and Gold for us old timers and a new logo style for the new or soon to be fans. What would have been the point to just recycle an old jersey? ;)

No one is saying run a poll every time a free agent comes available or asking who should be traded, nor are we asking for control over hiring/firing coaches and GMs. Let's not be melodramatic here.

You don't think they could have run a poll to narrow down some potential choices for a logo? Besides, wasn't the team name chosen in a fan poll?

And if this logo and unveiling is the best that "professional marketers and professional designers" can come up with, then the Sabres should be asking for some kind of refund on their fees...

Sorry Wolf.

I don't want fans making any decisions for the team.

Like the 800 year old faux-GM of the Bills once said. "If you start listening to fans you end up sitting with them."

The jerseys are a nice compromise. Blue and Gold for us old timers and a new logo style for the new or soon to be fans. What would have been the point to just recycle an old jersey? ;)

In theory, I'd say I have to agree with you. It would have been silly to bring back unis that were getting a little (emphasis on the word "little", as in slightly) stale. I thought the whites were still great in '95 but thought the blues could stand some tweaking. I did not think they needed to be totally overhauled as they were.

But, and here is a very big but (I can imagine the jokes to follow that comment), a new logo and new design needed to be GOOD. The blue unis are something that I can live with, minus the snot smear. I don't like the whites, but wouldn't mind seeing Briere wearing them holding Lord Stanley's Chalice, but for the snot smear. (I DO want to see him carry it, but will probably edit any photos of him to be from the numbers up. ;) )

I have seen at least 10 different designs for potential Sabres logos, probably closer to 30, and the ONLY ONE I HATE is the one they ran with. It is also the only one that had a urine yellow buffalo. Right now, I can't get past the fact that they are putting a snot smear on the chest of a really good hockey team. Although I truly wanted a white buffalo for all its connotations and history, I could have lived with a blue or silver one. How in the world do you choose the color that represents cowardice (yellow, the thing isn't gold, its yellow) and make it the primary color of the logo? It makes no sense to me.

Will I still support the team? Absolutely. Will I buy a Stanley Cup Champion Tee Shirt with the snot smear on it? If they win the SC this year and don't put out any merchandise with the 3rd logo, then yes. Otherwise no. Would I have bought a sweater this season if the logo wasn't a yellow snot smear? Again, absolutely. I wanted a pro-weight Spacek sweater to be my 40th birthday present this Monday. There is no way I am getting one now. I may relent and have the wife get me a 3rd for Christmas or anniversary, but I'm not even real enthused to get that at this time.

Some people here are misconstruing a loathing of the logo that was created by Reebok as a desire to have exactly the same uni and logo the team wore in '75. I honestly believe that there are fewer people that wanted that, than there are that truly "love" the snot smear. (I know there are several people in each camp, but I don't think either has more than 10% of the fanbase in its camp.) In my ideal world, the new logo would be a takeoff of the original, and the shatanic goathead would be recolored to match my avatar and be the new shoulder patch. When they are eventually allowed to have a 3rd sweater, I'd have it's crest be my avatar with the original logo as the shoulder patches.

And now for something completely different. Did anyone else expect to see anytime before 2010 at the earliest, the day that people in Buffalo would be more concerned with what happens at Sabres training camp than they are with what happens in the Bills - Fish game? I didn't. But in that regard, this season to me is taking on a very 1970's feel. Heck maybe that's why they went with that stupid snot smear, to try to bring back disco. (God help us all.) 'Cause Club 747 is the only place that I can think of where that crest wouldn't be out of place.

Enough of my rambling. Hope the B-day went well.

Will I still support the team? Absolutely. Will I buy a Stanley Cup Champion Tee Shirt with the snot smear on it? If they win the SC this year and don't put out any merchandise with the 3rd logo, then yes. Otherwise no. Would I have bought a sweater this season if the logo wasn't a yellow snot smear? Again, absolutely. I wanted a pro-weight Spacek sweater to be my 40th birthday present this Monday. There is no way I am getting one now. I may relent and have the wife get me a 3rd for Christmas or anniversary, but I'm not even real enthused to get that at this time.

Some people here are misconstruing a loathing of the logo that was created by Reebok as a desire to have exactly the same uni and logo the team wore in '75. I honestly believe that there are fewer people that wanted that, than there are that truly "love" the snot smear. (I know there are several people in each camp, but I don't think either has more than 10% of the fanbase in its camp.) In my ideal world, the new logo would be a takeoff of the original, and the shatanic goathead would be recolored to match my avatar and be the new shoulder patch. When they are eventually allowed to have a 3rd sweater, I'd have it's crest be my avatar with the original logo as the shoulder patches.

Dave, great points - I think people misconstrue my dislike of the logo as somehow "not supporting the team" - I am still 110% behind the team, will go to as many games as my schedule (living in Cleveland) permits, and taking a trip to Columbus with a pregnant wife to watch the team take on the Blue Jackets.

I didn't want the original uniforms back, and to be honest, I never wanted the original blue to become the 3rd jersey either. I was hopeful that the team would come out with some great, new more modern B&G uniforms that most people would like. Instead, we got a logo that most people seem to dislike, and to make things worse, they are putting a horrible looking logo (IMO) on a pretty good looking home sweater. As a result, I am thrilled the team decided to make the original blue the 3rd jersey as a way of pacifying the fans, and I hope that the ones who don't like the logo hold firm and not spend money on it just b/c you feel like you should be supporting the team. If you like it, fine, spend your money, knock yourselves out - I have no objection to that. But don't buy one out of some misguided sense of obligation, like you aren't a real fan if you don't buy one or you feel the team needs your $100 (or whatever it is.) As others have mentioned, the compromise is to buy the original jersey and the original logo merchandise.

Eh, I'm done - I have to go mourn a Florida State loss...sorry if I offended anyone over the last couple days...no hard feelings towards anyone on here.

The ducks had the fans involvement, and their sweaters still turned out ugly, maybe even worse then before. I don't trust fans to design anything.

I leave this up to the professionals. Professional designers, professional marketers, you criticize them for leaks, but when have the Sabres been in the news this much in a summer? Never. People might actually notice they start the season in October and not when the Bills stop playing. .

Their going to sell alot of jerseys, be whatever they are. And you know what, we're all gonna come together and cheer, when they come on the ice. (like this morning)

Well, according to the Ducks' web site, the fans, players, management and ownership all had input. They had a design firm come up with several ideas and then the above mentioned made the choice (makes you wonder how ugly the ones they turned down were...)

Yep, they will sell a bunch of merchandise despite the controversy. Because being a good fan = buying merchandise. Let me say that in the 70's, there was hardly ANY logo merchandise being offered for sale. Marketeers hadn't gotten that idea yet. If you had something with an official Sabres' logo on it, people assumed you worked for the team. In fact, if you could find a shirt or jacket with the Sabres' logo, chances are you would probably be allowed to walk into the Aud (well, maybe) without a ticket, as it would have been assumed you were with the team. I remember after the '75 cup run, I sent away to some clothier in western Canada to get a jacket with the Sabres' crest on the front (I still have the jacket). It cost a fortune, plus I had to pay duty. All of my freinds wanted to know how I got it.

Now, you can't swing a dead cat without finding something with a team logo on it. Team shot glasses, team water bottles...I wonder if anyone is thinking of making Hurricanes logo toilet paper so I can wipe.....nah, probably not.

-Ed ;)

The fans would have fired Lindy and Darcy years ago.

Would put the team together bobby clarke style.

I leave this up to the professionals. Professional designers, professional marketers, you criticize them for leaks, but when have the Sabres been in the news this much in a summer? Never. People might actually notice they start the season in October and not when the Bills stop playing. And professional hockey people.

Blah blah blah. Whatever. Be a conformist. I hope u enjoy wearing a slug. Fans could take a dump and come up with something that looks better than that hideous piece of garbage. Professionals? As if that gives them authority over us all? They F-ed up big time and the sooner you come to grips with that, the better. I'll still support the team, but I will never ever wear anything that has that piece of crap logo on it, you can mark my words.

I would venture that in order for the new scheme to be successful, people outside the Sabres nation need to buy the jersey. For example, I have a Thrashers/Winnepeg/Edmonton 3rd jerseys, but I'm not a stout fan of any of those teams. From what I've gathered so far, a few people like/love the new jerseys. There's a contingent that will buy them so they "support' the team. You guys are what is known in marketing speak as "super consumers." And then you have the anti-slug folks (You can lump me in there). Looking at the new jerseys, they're not horrible (i.e. original Coyotes, Vancouver V) but c'mon, who outside a Sabres fan is going to buy one?

Archived