Bills - Panthers

Taro T

Malta NY? I live in Albany foo!

Here's the odd thing...I created my "BillsGuyInMalta" Screen Name over at The Stadium Wall when I was actually on the island of Malta for this college overseas education program. Came back home to the States and ended up moving to Clifton Park, NY...only to find there is a Malta, NY right down the road from me. So thats how I justify keeping the same handle.

It all comes full circle man...*inhales*

Here's the odd thing...I created my "BillsGuyInMalta" Screen Name over at The Stadium Wall when I was actually on the island of Malta for this college overseas education program. Came back home to the States and ended up moving to Clifton Park, NY...only to find there is a Malta, NY right down the road from me. So thats how I justify keeping the same handle.

I just moved back to WNY from Clifton Park. I was on Woodin Rd. Before that I lived in Guilderlands. I miss the area but it is nice to be home. Especially when you go out to the bars and everyone is talking hockey and CBC is on the TV. Plus, I was sick of having to drive from CP down to Across the Street Pub for good wings.

Did you meet "Baron" Mikel Scicluna while you were there? :D

Well, I didn't want to start a new thread over on TSW (as it would have been very redundant) and wasn't sure which existing thread this should go under over there. ;)

Can the Bills have a Sabre like turn around? I say no. Why? Two reasons.

1) Stability. The Bills are going into this season after blowing everything up. The Sabres have the same coach and GM they had since '98 and almost the entire roster was the same.

2) The Sabres had a great second half of the season in '04-'05 to build off. The Bills imploaded which caused all the changes and they have questions at almost every position.

Playing in a tough division? Last night might be as good as it gets. ;)

Playing in a tough division? Last night might be as good as it gets. ;)

I disagree a bit here. The AFC East isn't as strong as it once was. The Patriots are starting to come back down to earth, the Jets are in worse shape then the Bills, and the Dolphins aren't as good as everyone is making them out to be (they also lost last night) Buffalo lost to a team last night that is being projected to be the NFC champions. From what I saw of the game last night, they didn't look as bad when JP came in and looked like they will be a more competitive team this year (not saying a playoff team yet, but anything can happen) It was also only the first excebition game of the year and we still haven't announced who all of our starters will be. I see them having a better year then last year, but will lose some close games. I have a feeling that they will be in most games until the end, unlike last year when they played well for a little bit and then blew it later on.

I disagree a bit here. The AFC East isn't as strong as it once was. The Patriots are starting to come back down to earth, the Jets are in worse shape then the Bills, and the Dolphins aren't as good as everyone is making them out to be (they also lost last night) Buffalo lost to a team last night that is being projected to be the NFC champions. From what I saw of the game last night, they didn't look as bad when JP came in and looked like they will be a more competitive team this year (not saying a playoff team yet, but anything can happen) It was also only the first excebition game of the year and we still haven't announced who all of our starters will be. I see them having a better year then last year, but will lose some close games. I have a feeling that they will be in most games until the end, unlike last year when they played well for a little bit and then blew it later on.

The Dolphins are as good as people say. Culpeper, Brown and Chambers? The Bills have no answer for that. And I'll beleive the Pats are coming back to earth once they land. The Jets? I think health will dictate how they do this year. If Chad Pennington and Curtis Martin are both healthy? They may not be a playoff team but they will be much better then the Bills.

It would be great if the Bills kept the score close in most games. I just have no idea how they will be able to do that. :(

Come on, DeLuca, we all know Nate Clements is a shutdown corner, probably the best in the league, and he'll handle Chambers, no problemo. :P

Seriously, though - I've never been sold on Culpepper - his best years in Minny were when he tossed the ball to Moss. I don't think that Chambers now = Moss then, and Culpepper is now coming off a major knee injury. Also, I'm going to reserve judgment on Ronnie Brown until he shows he can be THE man for the 'Phins, carrying 20-25 times a game for an entire 16 games. He's shown flashes, but he isn't consistent yet.

The Jets are a mess. Curtis Martin is closer to retirement than returning to the field, and Chad Pennington? He's spent almost as much time on the IR in his 7 years as he has on the field. Even when healthy I don't think he scared a lot of teams, and he's coming off rotator cuff surgery, so his arm strength is probably going to be affected. My gut feeling is that Patrick Ramsey will be disappointing the J-E-T-S faithful for most of the season.

Then again, I might be wrong. ;)

Come on, DeLuca, we all know Nate Clements is a shutdown corner, probably the best in the league, and he'll handle Chambers, no problemo. :P

Seriously, though - I've never been sold on Culpepper - his best years in Minny were when he tossed the ball to Moss. I don't think that Chambers now = Moss then, and Culpepper is now coming off a major knee injury. Also, I'm going to reserve judgment on Ronnie Brown until he shows he can be THE man for the 'Phins, carrying 20-25 times a game for an entire 16 games. He's shown flashes, but he isn't consistent yet.

The Jets are a mess. Curtis Martin is closer to retirement than returning to the field, and Chad Pennington? He's spent almost as much time on the IR in his 7 years as he has on the field. Even when healthy I don't think he scared a lot of teams, and he's coming off rotator cuff surgery, so his arm strength is probably going to be affected. My gut feeling is that Patrick Ramsey will be disappointing the J-E-T-S faithful for most of the season.

Then again, I might be wrong. ;)

Like I said the Jets will depend on their health.

The Phins? I really like Nick Saban as a coach. I wish the Bills would have made a run at him. The turn around they had last season was a great job by Saban. I also think Culpepper is now in a place where he doesn't have to carry the team. He can just sit back and play QB. ;)

The Dolphins are as good as people say. Culpeper, Brown and Chambers? The Bills have no answer for that. And I'll beleive the Pats are coming back to earth once they land. The Jets? I think health will dictate how they do this year. If Chad Pennington and Curtis Martin are both healthy? They may not be a playoff team but they will be much better then the Bills.

It would be great if the Bills kept the score close in most games. I just have no idea how they will be able to do that. :(

A heathy Chad Pennington and Curtis Martin make the Jets better then Buffalo? Chad Pennington had a weaker arm then Kelly Holcomb before the rotator cuff surgery, there is no way he is in the top half of any NFL stats this year. Curtis Martin is still contiplating retirement, he is not much of a threat anymore

AS for the Dolphins, I'm not saying they are not a decent team, but they are not as good as everyone is projecting right now. they turned around a bad season into a good finish last year, guess who did that the year before making their head coach look pretty good in his first year, Buffalo. Culpepper is an upgrade at QB for them but thats not saying much since they have not been able to find a decent QB since Marino. UNless Miami makes a deal for Moss, I don't think Culpepper puts up huge numbers. Who knows how Ronnie Brown will do having to be the Premier RB on the team without having Ricky there. He seemed to go quiet at the end of last season. I don't know about anyone else, but I can't see how anyteam can be considered better when they were signing Bills OL cuts from last season to actually try to improve their line. Bennie Anderson was not signed for depth, he was signed to be the starter. The offensive genius Mike Mularky was brought in to be the new offensive co-ordinator after showing what he could do against them twice a year, Yup, definitly a great team there.

The Patriots will still be the team to beat, but they aren't the premier team in the AFC anymore.

Well atleast we know that near the end of the season if the Bills actually make the playoffs or do well, Deluca will do another 180 and be all over how great they were and how they are building a team the right way, and no one should doubt what Marv is doing

A heathy Chad Pennington and Curtis Martin make the Jets better then Buffalo? Chad Pennington had a weaker arm then Kelly Holcomb before the rotator cuff surgery, there is no way he is in the top half of any NFL stats this year . Curtis Martin is still contiplating retirement, he is not much of a threat anymore

They wouldn't have to be to be better then the Bills. ;)

I don't think I said the Jets would compete for the playoffs. But I don't think they will be in the hunt with the Bills for the #1 overall draft pick. The Jets may end of 6-10 which would be a dream season for the Bills at this point. :(

6-10 would be a dream season for a team that went 5-11 last year? This team will be better then last year just by addition by subtraction. One pre-season game against the NFC favorite for the Super Bowl isn't going to make me believe this team is horrible. KH stunk up the 1st quarter of that game, and JP did pretty good (not great but good) this team showed some signs of being a decent team, and some areas were work is needed, and most of the rookies showed they may be ready sooner rather then later to start.

Please. Realisitically I think 6-10 is a pipe dream for the Jets with Derrick Blaylock, Cedric Houston and the recently-acquired Lee Suggs, carrying the load for the Jets. So their options are: a backfield featuring a QB and a RB that can't stay off the IR; or one that features a QB who couldn't cut it under Joe Gibbs (Patrick Ramsey) with some combination of Blaylock, Houston & Leon Washington. Again, that's not going to scare a lot of teams.

I will admit, the hiring of Mangini was a bold move, but he is a rookie HC, so we know how those can flop. ALso, I think if Leon Washington gets a chance to show what he can do, he could push the other three for some PT; he was phenomenal for most of his career at Florida State, and despite being on the small size, he's pretty tough and has good vision & quickness.

I think the Jets & the Bills will both be around 4-12/5-11 if things don't come together for them, and 6-10/7-9 if a lot of the young players develop faster than thought (and their opponents take them lightly.) Either way, there will be plenty for the natives to bitch about on TSW...

Please. Realisitically I think 6-10 is a pipe dream for the Jets with Derrick Blaylock, Cedric Houston and the recently-acquired Lee Suggs, carrying the load for the Jets. So their options are: a backfield featuring a QB and a RB that can't stay off the IR; or one that features a QB who couldn't cut it under Joe Gibbs (Patrick Ramsey) with some combination of Blaylock, Houston & Leon Washington. Again, that's not going to scare a lot of teams.

I will admit, the hiring of Mangini was a bold move, but he is a rookie HC, so we know how those can flop. ALso, I think if Leon Washington gets a chance to show what he can do, he could push the other three for some PT; he was phenomenal for most of his career at Florida State, and despite being on the small size, he's pretty tough and has good vision & quickness.

I think the Jets & the Bills will both be around 4-12/5-11 if things don't come together for them, and 6-10/7-9 if a lot of the young players develop faster than thought (and their opponents take them lightly.) Either way, there will be plenty for the natives to bitch about on TSW...

I would have rather taken a chance on a rookie head coach then Dick Jauron's 13 games under .500. Dick Jauron had one good 13-3 year. He is 23-46 in the other five seasons.

(and their opponents take them lightly.)

That may be a huge understatement. ;)

I would have rather taken a chance on a rookie head coach then Dick Jauron's 13 games under .500. Dick Jauron had one good 13-3 year. He is 23-46 in the other five seasons.

Yeah, because in those other years he had Pro-Bowl caliber teams to coach.

His record comes from coaching the Bears (who he coached to a 13-3 record) and the Lions. 2 teams who were only a head coach away from greatness

Marv didn't have a winning record before becoming the Bills head coach, even every ones favorite Bill Billechick didn't have a winning record before coming the coaching god he is today (:rolleyes:)

Buffalo tried the rookie head coach route before, and it didn't work, now they go with what the fans asked for (someone with coaching experience) and it still isn't what they asked for. I think Buffalo fans will never be happy. The Sabres and Bills could both go on to win championships and the fans will probably say that we didn't defeat the other team bad enough

The Bills are a poster child for depression....

Please delete this crap before you jinx the Sabs.....

LOL, says the guy with BILLS in his name

His record comes from coaching the Bears (who he coached to a 13-3 record) and the Lions. 2 teams who were only a head coach away from greatness

Marv didn't have a winning record before becoming the Bills head coach, even every ones favorite Bill Billechick didn't have a winning record before coming the coaching god he is today (:rolleyes:)

Buffalo tried the rookie head coach route before, and it didn't work, now they go with what the fans asked for (someone with coaching experience) and it still isn't what they asked for. I think Buffalo fans will never be happy. The Sabres and Bills could both go on to win championships and the fans will probably say that we didn't defeat the other team bad enough

LOL, says the guy with BILLS in his name

Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding!

We have a winner!

Johnny, show the man his prizes!

:P

Congratulations....you win an authentic "Sluggalo" jersey! Depicting what may come to be one of the worst team logos in NHL history, the Sluggalo has captured the hearts of millions - no wait - ONE GUY!

Congrats, apus! :P

Congratulations....you win an authentic "Sluggalo" jersey! Depicting what may come to be one of the worst team logos in NHL history, the Sluggalo has captured the hearts of millions - no wait - ONE GUY!

Congrats, apus! :P

Wouldn't that be 2 people - Larry and Eggo? Or did we decide that Larry IS Eggo? :P

All these conspiracy posts of the past couple of weeks tend to run together. :unsure:

Considering Jauron has had SOME success at the NFL level, it's not like the Bills hired Richie Kotite to run the team.

I'm not expecting a whole lot of success this season (I expect to see 5 or 6 wins) but I don't expect to see them drafting in the top 3 next year either.

Wouldn't that be 2 people - Larry and Eggo? Or did we decide that Larry IS Eggo? :P

All these conspiracy posts of the past couple of weeks tend to run together. :unsure:

Considering Jauron has had SOME success at the NFL level, it's not like the Bills hired Richie Kotite to run the team.

I'm not expecting a whole lot of success this season (I expect to see 5 or 6 wins) but I don't expect to see them drafting in the top 3 next year either.

I'm interested in what you think the Bills have that the other bottom feeders don't?

Is 36-49 really success? That a .424 winning %. That's less then Mularkey's .438 winning % and not that much better then Williams' .354 %. :unsure:

First off. Never compare Levy to Billechick.

How about 'winning coaching experience'? Sure Levy had a losing record before he came to the Bills. Then Polian handed him a team of HOFer's.

The only Pro-Bowl players the Bills have are the punter and kick returner. I don;t see that changing until the Bills get a GM. :angry:

One more thing.

If age isn't an issue with Marv Levy? Why does he die his hair? :blink:

I'm interested in what you think the Bills have that the other bottom feeders don't?

Is 36-49 really success? That a .424 winning %. That's less then Mularkey's .438 winning % and not that much better then Williams' .354 %. :unsure:

First off. Never compare Levy to Billechick.

How about 'winning coaching experience'? Sure Levy had a losing record before he came to the Bills. Then Polian handed him a team of HOFer's.

The only Pro-Bowl players the Bills have are the punter and kick returner. I don;t see that changing until the Bills get a GM. :angry:

One more thing.

If age isn't an issue with Marv Levy? Why does he die his hair? :blink:

2 games vs the Jest, 1 against Miami at home in December, games in Detroit, Houston, and Baltimore, and home games against Minnesota, GB, SD, and Tennessee. I believe they can split or even be a game over 0.500 out of that. That would give them 5 or 6 W's. Heck, if they blow one of those games that they "should" win, but steal one of their other 6, they're back at 5 or 6.

All I am really asking of them this season is beat the Jest twice and stay competitive in their other games.

While I do not expect much out of the offense this season (I think JP will be decent but the line will be very bad), I think the D shouldn't be horrible this year (probably somewhere middle of the pack, remember they will get Spikes back), and I think the ST's will be top 5 in the league. If the O can limit their turnovers, the Bills shouldn't be blown out of many games. Catching a break or 2 (or making a break or 2) against a weak schedule is possible.

If they had the NFC South again, instead of the Norris, and the AFC North instead of the AFC South, then yeah, like the commercial used to say, I'd be expecting "bad things, man, bad things".

Wow, the Jets RB situation goes from bad to worse, as Suggs fails his physical, voiding the trade and sending him BACK to the Browns.

Archived