Sabres To Unveil Jerseys Today!

PTS

I was out of town most of yesterday and today, so I am finally getting caught up on the articles on Sabresreport's main page. This LQ quote from WGRZ-TV2's article on the new logo really got me fired up:

Quinn: "There may not be much we can do for people who don't like it. I would say to people: 'you haven't seen it yet. So why don't you wait until you see the entire package, see it worn on the team, and then draw a conclusion.? I'd ask for a little bit of patience, wait 'till September. And if you really hate it, you can yell at me. How's that??

First, that sounds a little like: "you know what? We like it, and everyone else is going to like it, so shut up and start ordering jerseys, 'cuz we ain't changing it." Either that, or Larry didn't expect that the proposed logo would piss off nearly 90% of the fan base, and it sounds like he is trying to lay the groundwork for a "the NHL/Reebok won't let us make a change now" defense.

Second, I refer to his "entire package" comment - you put lipstick on a pig, but its still gonna be a pig. The uniforms themselves would have to be the coolest, most awe-inspiring uniforms ever to take even one iota of attention away from the hideousness of the logo.

Third, I REALLY hope that the fans remember his comment about "if you really hate it, you can yell at me," b/c if the team comes out and looks like a bunch of idiots in the new uniforms, fans should be calling his office directly.

Thank God they found the common senese to roll out the retro unis for 15 home dates...that means we'll have to suffer through the slug for only 26 home games next year.

The fifteen games is pretty exciting, though. The maximum any third jersey can be worn is 15 games, so they went for the maximum, again showing (me, anyway) that this was just a ploy to make fans feel better. Perhaps they did have to fight with the NHL to an extent to have vintage jerseys for fifteen home games, but I think the NHL saw the ruckuss here, saw the possibility of losing money if they said "no," and allowed it to help the Sabres (and themselves vicariously) with a bad situation developing here.

All in all, I honestly believe this was a spur of the moment (or week or two) decision on the part of the front office to placate fans.

You're darn tootin'. Why else would you call a press conference in the middle of the summer when we were supposed to have to wait until September? Not only that, but they had to scramble to find four vintage blue jerseys (Darryl Shannon?) for a backdrop. This does not sound like it had been planned for months, but rather resulted from a panic-stricken team management that failed to get any substantial fan input on a new logo choice. Hey, the name of the team was chosen in a contest; why not the new logo?

I'm getting the feeling that Reebok threw the sluggo artwork in for free IF the Sabres chose to be the model team for Reebok's new idea of what hockey uniforms should look like. When I saw just the slug logo, I was disappointed; now that Quinn has hinted at what the new uni's are going to look like, I am scared to death. (Visions of the powder blue and yellow monstrosities worn by the California Seals...ughhhhh!!!!) :blink:

Been on vacation, so sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, previously.

Am I alone in being disappointed that they went with the blue roadies as the retro jersey? I'd assumed that they were going to go with the classic, and eminently superior, white "field".

Even when they wore the auld jerseys, I was just so-so on the road uniforms. In fact, back when they unveiled the red & black, my buddies and I would cringe a little when we were at a game and saw someone sporting an old blue roadie.

Thoughts?

Been on vacation, so sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, previously.

Am I alone in being disappointed that they went with the blue roadies as the retro jersey? I'd assumed that they were going to go with the classic, and eminently superior, white "field".

Even when they wore the auld jerseys, I was just so-so on the road uniforms. In fact, back when they unveiled the red & black, my buddies and I would cringe a little when we were at a game and saw someone sporting an old blue roadie.

Thoughts?

Well it was really their only option ... the league seems to have mandated the third jerseys be dark so that the road team always knows they will be wearing white and doesn't have to travel with two sets of jerseys. You might pleasantly surprised, as I have said before, I never liked the blue on TV but in person it looks really good. I am hoping that with the advances in TV and lighting it will look better on TV now too ... we'll see.

Well it was really their only option ... the league seems to have mandated the third jerseys be dark so that the road team always knows they will be wearing white and doesn't have to travel with two sets of jerseys. You might pleasantly surprised, as I have said before, I never liked the blue on TV but in person it looks really good. I am hoping that with the advances in TV and lighting it will look better on TV now too ... we'll see.

Yeah, I had a feeling that was the reason.

And I think my brain's muddled on one underlying point: Did the league recently shift to a system whereby the home teams wear their dark uni's? (As opposed to the traditional system where the home team wore its white-field unis?) (Otherwise, I infer we'd have been free to use a white field on our alternates -- same as the normal home uni's.)

Personally, I've always thought that the blue originals were hideous looking. The white jersey is definitely a classic, but the new NHL push for the home darks wouldn't allow for that.

Agreed. And thanks for the clarification on the home darks in the new NHL.

And I think my brain's muddled on one underlying point: Did the league recently shift to a system whereby the home teams wear their dark uni's? (As opposed to the traditional system where the home team wore its white-field unis?) (Otherwise, I infer we'd have been free to use a white field on our alternates -- same as the normal home uni's.)

You were not the only one to question this, so here's a link to another thread where this very question was answered.

Archived