I Know It Is All About The $$$

CallawaySabres

That is fine that he wanted to hold out for arbitration but please take all of this BS that he was spewing out of his mouth after game 7 and stick it up his A$$. Talk about two faced - if he was really practicing what he was preaching, I bet that they could have worked out a long term deal while still bumping up his salary to somewhere around 4 Mill.

Again, he deserves the $$ but he can't come across as a guy that believes this whole team unity all for one one for all BS and go for the big pay day too!!

He's a good guy... However, players walk a fine line with the business end of pro sports these days. If I were in his shoes, i'd love to say that i'd play for the sabres for free.... however, you've gotta do what you've gotta do. It's not like he pulled a reggie bush and is holding out over some change. Now that he's going to be paid like a 100 point player, lets see him put up 100 points... If he doesn't, then we can surely sign him on the cheap after january

That is fine that he wanted to hold out for arbitration but please take all of this BS that he was spewing out of his mouth after game 7 and stick it up his A$$. Talk about two faced - if he was really practicing what he was preaching, I bet that they could have worked out a long term deal while still bumping up his salary to somewhere around 4 Mill.

Again, he deserves the $$ but he can't come across as a guy that believes this whole team unity all for one one for all BS and go for the big pay day too!!

I know what you mean. I lost alot of respect for McKey. It's nice that he was here for so long and played so good but eff him. He said he wanted to test the FA market, so what did he do? grabbed the 1st effen offer and signed.

I know what you mean. I lost alot of respect for McKey. It's nice that he was here for so long and played so good but eff him. He said he wanted to test the FA market, so what did he do? grabbed the 1st effen offer and signed.

I can't blame mcKee at all, He wanted to work out a long term deal, Club policy says not til the end of the season, so why not see what your worth as a FA. Who wouldn't jump at an offer like that

I can't blame mcKee at all, He wanted to work out a long term deal, Club policy says not til the end of the season, so why not see what your worth as a FA. Who wouldn't jump at an offer like that

Hopefully Darcy learned from his blunder. I respect Darcy and think in General he has done a pretty good job as the Sabres GM, this was however one of his bigger mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes and he is responsible to learn from that mistake and not let something like the Mckee situation happen again.

I agree with you that Jay had legitimate incentive to test the FA market. But I can see a few possible scenarios as to why the team didn't want to negotiate with Jay mid-season last year. The 1st couple of which, at least, could be legitimate taken on their own, or more likely taken in combination with others.

Personally, I would definitely like to have seen Darcy and Jay work out a deal in January, but I don't know that it was necessarily possible without creating more problems than it would have solved.

My guess is that due to the sheer number of players whose deal expired this past June, that the Sabres would have had quite a few disgruntled players had they agreed to negotiate with Jay midseason and not others (basically any player not named Drury, Hecht, or Vanek). Had they agreed to negotiate with basically everyone mid-season, they would have had a team full of distracted players. Considering Darcy's pace of negotiation historically tended to be, shall we slow, I don't know that the team chemistry would have been nearly what it was down the stretch.

Considering Darcy has said he is open to negotiating with Danny during the season (at least he was last week), either he sees Danny's negotiations in a different light than he saw Jay's or he envisions having far fewer players on 1 year deals and doesn't see negotiating with Danny in January as disruptive as negotiating with Jay might have been, or maybe it's a combination.

Another reason for why the Sabres may have been reluctant to negotiate mid-season is that Jay had stated prior to signing the 1 year deal that he would go test the UFA market if Buffalo didn't sign him to a 3 year deal like he wanted. If they took him at his word back then, they may not have seen any real possibility of conducting successful negotiations in mid-season. If they did, they definitely would have seen less potential good than harm by negotiating with Jay in mid-season.

I don't know whether Jay's earlier statements entered into management's stance or if it was simply a procedural blunder by management.

It's also possible (and this is PURELY speculation on my part and far less likely than either of my other possible reasons for the "no mid-season negotations" policy) that after Jay threatened testing the UFA market that management developed a list of players they thought they would like to see wearing a phantom ferret AND how much they thought it would cost them to get those players AND based upon their internal rankings of those players value to the Sabres that they thought Jay would be worth x $'s to them (and no more) and that Jay would want more than that. IF that is the case, then negotiating with Jay during the season would have been of no benefit to anyone (associated with the Sabres that is) as the only thing that could come of negotiations would be a disgruntled team leader. Considering they expected to only be able to keep 6 bonafide NHL blueliners this coming season, thinking they could get a player with more "value" than Jay MAY have factored into the decision making. (I'd be shocked if it was the primary reason they didn't negotiate, but it may have factored in to a small degree.)

I find it nearly impossible to believe that while the team didn't "negotiate" with Jay during the season that they didn't have any conversations with his agent and weren't reasonably aware of what he would demand in a contract. If they knew they weren't close, again, there was nothing to be gained by negotiating.

Hopefully Darcy learned from his blunder. I respect Darcy and think in General he has done a pretty good job as the Sabres GM, this was however one of his bigger mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes and he is responsible to learn from that mistake and not let something like the Mckee situation happen again.

I don't know that not negotiating in mid-season was necessarily a "blunder". Not going for a long term deal in September turned out to be one in hindsight, but it was arguably correct at the time. (I would have preferred to see them risk the LT deal with him, but it wasn't my money so they didn't consult me.)

The one true blunder I think the Sabres made at the time was not signing Danny to a LT deal. (EDIT: Not signing and then trading Miro turned out to be one as well (although it was on a much smaller scale), but based on the risks involved and management's underestimation of how much money would go to "top" players, I understand and can live with that one.) Considering he was PROBABLY looking for somewhere around $2.5MM/yr for 3 or 4 years, even if it turned out over the life of the contract that he was still on his old ppg scoring pace and the salary cap went down, it probably would have been worth it. Especially because based on what Marty St. Louis did prior to the lockout and what Danny had done on the pp prior to the lockout, and the fact that he was close to being named a co-captain, the potential for him to blossom was definitely there and the Sabres probably saw that potential.

I can't honestly say the other 1 year contracts were blunders given the state of the league and the team in August of 2005.

I agree with you that Jay had legitimate incentive to test the FA market. But I can see a few possible scenarios as to why the team didn't want to negotiate with Jay mid-season last year. The 1st couple of which, at least, could be legitimate taken on their own, or more likely taken in combination with others.

Personally, I would definitely like to have seen Darcy and Jay work out a deal in January, but I don't know that it was necessarily possible without creating more problems than it would have solved.

My guess is that due to the sheer number of players whose deal expired this past June, that the Sabres would have had quite a few disgruntled players had they agreed to negotiate with Jay midseason and not others (basically any player not named Drury, Hecht, or Vanek). Had they agreed to negotiate with basically everyone mid-season, they would have had a team full of distracted players. Considering Darcy's pace of negotiation historically tended to be, shall we slow, I don't know that the team chemistry would have been nearly what it was down the stretch.

Considering Darcy has said he is open to negotiating with Danny during the season (at least he was last week), either he sees Danny's negotiations in a different light than he saw Jay's or he envisions having far fewer players on 1 year deals and doesn't see negotiating with Danny in January as disruptive as negotiating with Jay might have been, or maybe it's a combination.

Another reason for why the Sabres may have been reluctant to negotiate mid-season is that Jay had stated prior to signing the 1 year deal that he would go test the UFA market if Buffalo didn't sign him to a 3 year deal like he wanted. If they took him at his word back then, they may not have seen any real possibility of conducting successful negotiations in mid-season. If they did, they definitely would have seen less potential good than harm by negotiating with Jay in mid-season.

I don't know whether Jay's earlier statements entered into management's stance or if it was simply a procedural blunder by management.

It's also possible (and this is PURELY speculation on my part and far less likely than either of my other possible reasons for the "no mid-season negotations" policy) that after Jay threatened testing the UFA market that management developed a list of players they thought they would like to see wearing a phantom ferret AND how much they thought it would cost them to get those players AND based upon their internal rankings of those players value to the Sabres that they thought Jay would be worth x $'s to them (and no more) and that Jay would want more than that. IF that is the case, then negotiating with Jay during the season would have been of no benefit to anyone (associated with the Sabres that is) as the only thing that could come of negotiations would be a disgruntled team leader. Considering they expected to only be able to keep 6 bonafide NHL blueliners this coming season, thinking they could get a player with more "value" than Jay MAY have factored into the decision making. (I'd be shocked if it was the primary reason they didn't negotiate, but it may have factored in to a small degree.)

I find it nearly impossible to believe that while the team didn't "negotiate" with Jay during the season that they didn't have any conversations with his agent and weren't reasonably aware of what he would demand in a contract. If they knew they weren't close, again, there was nothing to be gained by negotiating.

I don't know that not negotiating in mid-season was necessarily a "blunder". Not going for a long term deal in September turned out to be one in hindsight, but it was arguably correct at the time. (I would have preferred to see them risk the LT deal with him, but it wasn't my money so they didn't consult me.)

The one true blunder I think the Sabres made at the time was not signing Danny to a LT deal. (EDIT: Not signing and then trading Miro turned out to be one as well (although it was on a much smaller scale), but based on the risks involved and management's underestimation of how much money would go to "top" players, I understand and can live with that one.) Considering he was PROBABLY looking for somewhere around $2.5MM/yr for 3 or 4 years, even if it turned out over the life of the contract that he was still on his old ppg scoring pace and the salary cap went down, it probably would have been worth it. Especially because based on what Marty St. Louis did prior to the lockout and what Danny had done on the pp prior to the lockout, and the fact that he was close to being named a co-captain, the potential for him to blossom was definitely there and the Sabres probably saw that potential.

I can't honestly say the other 1 year contracts were blunders given the state of the league and the team in August of 2005.

fake fat dave b?

Archived