Drury is the team leader

Barnabov

Much as I'd like Briere around, $5 mil is way too much given his track record - great to say he was on pace for 100 points but that's way different than actually achieving it and the money he was awarded should be given to someone who's put up multiple big point seasons. Just like Havlat, Briere is now way overpaid - stupid arbitrators! BTW - I thought they couldn't consider current FA signings in the process?

Anyway, I think Chris Drury is the true leader of the Sabres and if anyone deserves $5 mil, it's him. He should be the Captain of the Sabres until he retires from the game. Briere was great at being the public face and saying all the right things and for sure, he lead but how many times in the playoffs did they say he & his line needed to show up (to his credit he did). Meanwhile, Drury just brought it night after night .

From all the article today, sounds like Danny boy is on the trading block - hope we get some value in return!

Much as I'd like Briere around, $5 mil is way too much given his track record - great to say he was on pace for 100 points but that's way different than actually achieving it and the money he was awarded should be given to someone who's put up multiple big point seasons. Just like Havlat, Briere is now way overpaid - stupid arbitrators! BTW - I thought they couldn't consider current FA signings in the process?

Anyway, I think Chris Drury is the true leader of the Sabres and if anyone deserves $5 mil, it's him. He should be the Captain of the Sabres until he retires from the game. Briere was great at being the public face and saying all the right things and for sure, he lead but how many times in the playoffs did they say he & his line needed to show up (to his credit he did). Meanwhile, Drury just brought it night after night .

From all the article today, sounds like Danny boy is on the trading block - hope we get some value in return!

Arbitrators can't consider UFA signings. They wouldn't have a whole lot of (or any, when you get right down to it) comparables if they didn't look at RFA contracts.

I'd be interested in any thoughts Regier has on this turn of events. Does anyone know if he will be "appearing" on Dohopp and Bullfrog this afternoon?

Arbitrators can't consider UFA signings. They wouldn't have a whole lot of (or any, when you get right down to it) comparables if they didn't look at RFA contracts.

I'd be interested in any thoughts Regier has on this turn of events. Does anyone know if he will be "appearing" on Dohopp and Bullfrog this afternoon?

I imagine he will soon. The sabres have till noon today I believe to sign Brier or let him go. Regier will have to explain that to the media either way

According to an article I read this morning, under the new CBA, they have 48 hours from their last arbitration meeting with a player to sign all of them.

So Darcy would still have some time to deal him away (although I can't see them getting much for him considering almost everyone knows that they will probably just release him since 5 million would break the bank)

According to an article I read this morning, under the new CBA, they have 48 hours from their last arbitration meeting with a player to sign all of them.

So Darcy would still have some time to deal him away (although I can't see them getting much for him considering almost everyone knows that they will probably just release him since 5 million would break the bank)

You are correct on the CBA.

However, as someone else posted, the NHLPA site is showing Briere as having a $5MM salary for next season. They only show salaries for players that have officially been signed (York & Briere have '06-'07 salaries listed, Smith is listed as unsigned). Unless someone screwed up at the NHLPA, Briere has been signed by the Sabres. So it doesn't appear that the Sabres will "just release him".

I'd like to suggest a new rule for arbitration. Deals made by such fine organizations as Chicago cannot be used in an arbitration case.

I know this isnt a very reliable source but it says on hockeybuzz.com that the Sabres are going to accept Briere's arbitration hearing. But then again, this web site also reported Biron for Bertuzzi at the draft a few weeks ago...I wouldn't take this too seriously but maybe there's some truth to it?

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=2453

I'd like to suggest a new rule for arbitration. Deals made by such fine organizations as Chicago cannot be used in and arbitration case.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It's a good thing I wasn't drinking coffee, 'cause it would have been all over the monitor.

I know this isnt a very reliable source but it says on hockeybuzz.com that the Sabres are going to accept Briere's arbitration hearing. But then again, this web site also reported Biron for Bertuzzi at the draft a few weeks ago...I wouldn't take this too seriously but maybe there's some truth to it?

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=2453

Considering the NHLPA's site is showing Briere's contract for '06-'07 is $5MM, I'd say there is likely a grain of truth to that rumor.

You are seriously overvaluing Drury. He is worth 3.5 to 4 mil max and if the Sabres can sign him to a 2 year extension at that price, do it. Don't get me wrong...Drury is a very good player and a good captain to boot, but I think you have seen the best Drury has to offer. He is never going to be a 90+ point scorer and salaries at 5+ per season should be reserved for the true superstars of the league.

You are seriously overvaluing Drury. He is worth 3.5 to 4 mil max and if the Sabres can sign him to a 2 year extension at that price, do it. Don't get me wrong...Drury is a very good player and a good captain to boot, but I think you have seen the best Drury has to offer. He is never going to be a 90+ point scorer and salaries at 5+ per season should be reserved for the true superstars of the league.

I agree, but that wasn't the point he was trying to make. The point being made is that Briere is not worth $5 Million, and is not the leader of this team, which I completely agree with. Bottom line is that Drury will be cheaper than Briere to sign long term, and also he is more irreplacable than Briere due to intangibles.

I agree, but that wasn't the point he was trying to make. The point being made is that Briere is not worth $5 Million, and is not the leader of this team, which I completely agree with. Bottom line is that Drury will be cheaper than Briere to sign long term, and also he is more irreplacable than Briere due to intangibles.

All good points.

As an aisde on Drury, I am interested in seeing his offensive game this year now that he is not saddled with "hands of stone" Grier.

After hearing Larry Quinn on the edge today at 5 he said 5 mill long term is no go, aka, Briere will probably be gone, Drury is a leader, Briere is a scorer, but Drury after this season could be 1.5 mill less after Briere pounds 80-90 pts. But I think we need him for this year.

Archived