What going on in Long Island? Lafontaine steps down.

SabresForCup

First Neil Smith gets fired, now Pat Lafontaine steps down. Smith, Lafontaine and Nolan were all hired just a little more than a month ago. I wonder what happened? Can it have to do with Nolan? There has to be a reason why a Jack Adams award winner does not get a coaching job the next season and doesn't get hired back to the NHL for years.

Here's the link: Report: LaFontaine leaves Islanders

Most likely, it has to do with Neil Smith being fired and replaced with GARTH SNOW. Guess Patty wants nothing to do with the wacky way their front office works. Still, what exactly was his job in the first place?

This has got to be one of the most bizarre front office shake-up in years.

Nolan is melting everyone with his laser vision.

What the hell is going on in deed!!!

I knew the Coliseum was a run down stadium, but the water system must be contaminated with e-coli. There's no other explanation. I feel bad for Teddy if he has nothing to do with this.

I guess this is what happens when you have an Asian "wunning" a hockey organization!

Quick, someone grab a link to an Islander board. We need to see what is going on there! Then again, looking for an Islanders forum assumes that they still have fans left. What a disgrace to a great franchise.

From newyorkislanders.com (which had been crashed all day):

A STATEMENT FROM ISLANDERS OWNER CHARLES WANG

Islanders owner Charles Wang announced today that Neil Smith has been relieved of his duties as general manager.

Said Wang: "As I made clear at the press conference last month, we are running this as a business, incorporating the opinions of our hockey operations staff - including Ted Nolan, Garth Snow, Bryan Trottier and Pat LaFontaine. Despite Neil's commitment to me that he could work in this environment, he later expressed to me on a number of occasions his philosophical opposition to our business model.

"In light of our differences, I felt that I had no choice but to make this decision in the best interests of the Islanders and our fans. I'm very proud of our draft and the roster additions our staff made this month. Our fans should know that with Ted, Garth, Bryan and Pat helping to lead the way, the Islanders are in very good hands."

My wild speculation? Neil Smith makes a move supported by Pat LaFontaine. Trottier doesn't like it, Neil Smith tells him to fuch off because he's the GM. Trottier tells Wang, and Neil Smith defends himself to Wang saying that he was listening to LaFontaine. Snow and Nolan support Wang's upholding the "business model" (GM by committee), Trottier agrees and pushes for Neil Smith's head. Smith's fired, LaFontaine calls and quits.

I'm wrong, but that's a good read right there.

Any chance LaFontaine might come to Buffalo to replace Arneil as an assistant coach? That was my first thought when I heard he was done with the Islanders. Pat commanding the Sabres powerplay might put our team over the top, that is if we can keep our core in tact. Just thowing the idea out there...

I'm not against Cunnyworth getting the job either, he would also make a great replacement for Arniel. But I think the fans would really be into seeing LaFontaine behind the bench next season and his hockey brain could add to our depth at offense from a coaching standpoint that would make the offense even more dangerous.

Patty's more than qualified, but he has to operate with Regier, Ruff, and the other coaches like clockwork. I doubt Ruff or the other coaches would have trouble working with him. Corsi'd probably enjoy an old team member on the staff.

The question mark is how Pat feels about Regier. Maybe it shouldn't matter that much.

LaFontaine lives out in Long Island, doesn't he? I get the feeling that he wants to stay at home.

That is correct. I don't see him joining the Sabres anytime soon (as great as that would be). Dig up one of Buccigross's columns from this year. He did a little interview with Patty before he signed on with the Isles.

I don't think that Teddy could have that much influence already to get people fired or leave like that since he's just gotten there. Patty is pretty attached to the Island and I don't think we'd see him come back here anytime soon.

I guess Isiah Thomas is having problems running the Knicks because he's too busy eating Watermelon, Fried Chicken and Chitlins... <_<

Yeah, I guess so. Lets not forget Pigs' Legs too. :rolleyes:

I don't think Wang's business motto is going to work for a hockey team, to have everyone report to him as equals can cause a competitive atmosphere among the front office. Also he needs to let his hockey personnel do their jobs without his tampering.

First Neil Smith gets fired, now Pat Lafontaine steps down. Smith, Lafontaine and Nolan were all hired just a little more than a month ago. I wonder what happened? Can it have to do with Nolan? There has to be a reason why a Jack Adams award winner does not get a coaching job the next season and doesn't get hired back to the NHL for years.

Here's the link: Report: LaFontaine leaves Islanders

And supposedly Peca turned down more money and a 3 three year deal. The plot thickens....

Archived