Janik to Tampa

Ogie Oglethorpe

We have other "d" prospects with much bigger upside. At the very best he would have been the 7th dman and he probably needs to play everyday. Paetsh, Sekera, Card and a few others will be coming alng the pipeline to fill in.

Two way contract allows a player to move between the NHL and AHL w/o being claimed on waivers. When playing in the minors, they make a minor league salary and then when they're in the NHL they make at least the league minimum.

I find it interesting since the rumor was that he wanted an NHL contract... I guess after Spacek signed he probably realized his chances were slim of getting any time in Buffalo.

I'm still surprised how many people are calling for another D-man. Sabres have 6 strong defencemen, plus some AHL talent to roll as a 7th.

Two way contract allows a player to move between the NHL and AHL w/o being claimed on waivers. When playing in the minors, they make a minor league salary and then when they're in the NHL they make at least the league minimum.

Thanks for the info, that is what I assumed but wanted to know for sure.

I find it interesting since the rumor was that he wanted an NHL contract... I guess after Spacek signed he probably realized his chances were slim of getting any time in Buffalo.

I'm still surprised how many people are calling for another D-man. Sabres have 6 strong defencemen, plus some AHL talent to roll as a 7th.

A two way contract does not allow a player to move freely between the AHL and the NHL. Janik still has to clear waivers to be sent down.

A two way contract does not allow a player to move freely between the AHL and the NHL. Janik still has to clear waivers to be sent down.

Is it that he has to clear waivers but if he is sent down he gets paid a AHL contract, and then if he plays in the NHL he gets an NHL contract?

Or is it a deal that signs him to the AHL team but if they need him they call him up and purchase his NHL contract type of deal?

I always assumed it was a deal that allowed a player to go back and fourth, but then I guess alot of teams would do this to keep a bunch of players that would put them over the cap if they could just call them up and down when they wished.

this is probably a stupid question, but what is a two-way contract?

A 2 way contract is exactly what it sounds like. It provides for a player to receive an NHL level salary while playing in the NHL and a much lower AHL salary while playing in the minors.

Nearly all entry level players receive 2 way contracts. (I can't remember if the CBA requires 2 way contracts in entry level deals; but if it doesn't, there are only a small handful of players that would get a 1 way contract.)

Players with enough experience at the NHL level have to receive 1 way deals (meaning they get payed like an NHLer even in the minors). For example, Alexander Mogilny was receiving an NHL salary while with Albany last year.

Players in between could negotiate to receive 1 way deals in the old CBA. I believe that is the case with the new CBA as well but am not positive.

The 1 way/2 way deal doesn't factor into whether a player needs to clear waivers or not. That is based strictly upon professional experience and whether a player has cleared waivers recently or not.

Last season the league introduced "call back" waivers to keep teams from getting around the salary cap by stacking their AHL teams with guys with huge AHL salaries. Last season in order for a player making more than $75k in the minors to be recalled back to the NHL club, the player would have to go through waivers to go back up.

The AHL teams complained about a lot of career minor leaguers moving to Europe to play because of this rule, so the NHL was planning on adjusting the rule. There was talk of moving the new threshold to $90k or doing away with it altogether. Other posters on the board have followed that rule more closely than I can and could probably tell you its current status.

Archived