Houston looking for NHL franchise

PromoTheRobot

Well some of you "fans" may get your wish. With the Houston Rockets owner wanting to add an NHL team to play in his new arena, the Sabres are on a list of likely candidates to be sold and moved.

Other teams mentioned include Nashville, Washington, Carolina and Pittsburgh. But attendance is strong now for the Penguins, Predators, and Hurricanes. The Capitals are doing poorly, but the NHL does not want to lose a major TV market.

I think Atlanta and the Islanders should be on the list as well, but the Sabres have been a huge disappointment at the gate, even while they were winning. I hate to say it but if I were Tom Golisano, and some Texas millionaire showed me a wheelbarrow of money, I'd be real tempted to say "screw it." Considering how he's been treated by the press and "fans," I wouldn't blame him.

Maybe we can have a "Name The Buffalo AHL Team Contest?"

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/rssstory.mpl/sports/3438046

PTR

I don't see the Sabres going anywhere for at least the next 3 years. Buffalo has traditionally been a good hockey market and if the league wanted to have the Sabres pull up stakes they had an excellent opportunity to do so 2 years ago.

If a team were to move, I'd expect it to be Washington or possibly NYI or Pittsburgh if these 2 teams cannot get new arenas built. Carolina and Nashville are having good enough seasons that they should be able to build/rebuild their fan bases.

Just because the Rockets owner wants a hockey team does not mean a team should be put in Houston. I lived there for a few years and do not see it as even remotely being a good hockey market. IMHO it isn't a particularily good pro sports market. The Oilers in the early '90's were on a 7 year run of making the playoffs, and in the 4th largest city in the US could only sell out the 65,000 seat Astrodome by having one of the local grocery stores buy out the last 5,000 seats for at least 6 games per year. This in a city were there are several high school teams that sell out 10,000+ seat stadiums.

In order to buy a team someone has to sell. I don't think Golisano wants to be the one to cause the city to lose a sports franchise. His other business interests would take a hit. And any thought of an political office would be over.

That is a good point. Can you see him trying to live that down?

PTR

What was the other guys name? Paul Schnieder? The guy who cost the city the Braves? From what I understand he used to be a big deal in the area.

It's Snyder. He's the guy that started up Darien Lake.

The guy went on record several times as saying he made money on the Braves, just not enough on them.

Just because the Rockets owner wants a hockey team does not mean a team should be put in Houston. I lived there for a few years and do not see it as even remotely being a good hockey market. IMHO it isn't a particularily good pro sports market. The Oilers in the early '90's were on a 7 year run of making the playoffs, and in the 4th largest city in the US could only sell out the 65,000 seat Astrodome by having one of the local grocery stores buy out the last 5,000 seats for at least 6 games per year. This in a city were there are several high school teams that sell out 10,000+ seat stadiums.

check out attendance at their AHL games - dismal -- especially for such a huge market, I think the Amerks put more in the seats...next franchise that moves will go to the Northwest (Portland or Seattle), or possibly Winnipeg...

Why would any team move? They will collect revenue sharing so they are pretty much are sure bets to make some type of profit. Plus, I think the NHL wants to, or has to, show some stability. I think it would be needed for any larger TV deal.

For the same reason the Braves left Buffalo.

For the same reason the Braves left Buffalo.

i never even knew the braves were in buffalo... wow... interesting i guess its just the bisons now eh... damn... ah well as long as we can keep our sabres im happy... if they move ill probably become an Amerks Fan... theres no NHL market close to me other then in toronto... and thats not an option just cuze they suck and there too expensive... so id just have to goto hamilton bulldogs and Amerks games... but thats not going to happen... were keeping our sabres.

i never even knew the braves were in buffalo... wow... interesting i guess its just the bisons now eh... damn... ah well as long as we can keep our sabres im happy... if they move ill probably become an Amerks Fan... theres no NHL market close to me other then in toronto... and thats not an option just cuze they suck and there too expensive... so id just have to goto hamilton bulldogs and Amerks games... but thats not going to happen... were keeping our sabres.

Basketball. Not baseball--those Braves went from Boston to Milwaukee to Atlanta. The Buffalo Braves (NBA) are in LA now...see other posts for that team's current alias.

Archived