Are we done signing for Defense?

Barnabov

I was just thinking that by resigning Teppo, maybe Mgmt has decided it's done with reshaping the D - you don't resign Numinnen to sit in the press box as the 7th man so that leaves the lines as follows:

Lydman - Tallinder

Kalinin - Campbell

Numinnen + Janik (any predictions on whether we resign him) or Paetsch (any one know his status on needing to clear waivers)

I'd say Jillson takes over from Fitzpatrick as the 7th (not sure if I'm ok with that)

Anyway, I sincerely hope that Darcy isn't thinking his work is done on Defense (remember the Eastern Conference Finals???)

I'd like to see us pick up one more proven vet, let Paetsch season again in Rochester (for sure he'll play on some injury callups) and then have a couple of guys who can step in with some experience come the playoffs.

Janik seemed like he was ready but I'd bet he's holding off resigning with Buffalo and wishing for a 1 way deal with some other team (Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh type).

Of the remaining UFAs I like Danny Markov or Dick Tarnstrom maybe Poti or Spacek. Who else has a ranking for their choice signings?

As for goalie backup - will depend on what we get from trading Biron. Dunham or Prusek seem like the only ones left for backup who I've heard of - Boucher & Legace are probably looking for starting roles & competing with us trying to trade Biron.

Comments please....the offseason and waiting for Sabres to make a move is seriously impacting my sleep & work - need input from others on the board to smooth over the anxiety.

I was just thinking that by resigning Teppo, maybe Mgmt has decided it's done with reshaping the D - you don't resign Numinnen to sit in the press box as the 7th man so that leaves the lines as follows:

Lydman - Tallinder

Kalinin - Campbell

Numinnen + Janik (any predictions on whether we resign him) or Paetsch (any one know his status on needing to clear waivers)

I'd say Jillson takes over from Fitzpatrick as the 7th (not sure if I'm ok with that)

Anyway, I sincerely hope that Darcy isn't thinking his work is done on Defense (remember the Eastern Conference Finals???)

I'd like to see us pick up one more proven vet, let Paetsch season again in Rochester (for sure he'll play on some injury callups) and then have a couple of guys who can step in with some experience come the playoffs.

Janik seemed like he was ready but I'd bet he's holding off resigning with Buffalo and wishing for a 1 way deal with some other team (Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh type).

Of the remaining UFAs I like Danny Markov or Dick Tarnstrom maybe Poti or Spacek. Who else has a ranking for their choice signings?

As for goalie backup - will depend on what we get from trading Biron. Dunham or Prusek seem like the only ones left for backup who I've heard of - Boucher & Legace are probably looking for starting roles & competing with us trying to trade Biron.

Comments please....the offseason and waiting for Sabres to make a move is seriously impacting my sleep & work - need input from others on the board to smooth over the anxiety.

I don't see the Sabres being done with the D.

I would really like to see Spacek brought in but doubt it will happen. (The fact he is still out there 3 days after July 1 gives me slight hope that he could get brought in, but I'm definitely not holding my breath.) If not Spacek, someone will be brought in before the season starts.

I could see the Sabres bringing back Janik if they tell him the #7 slot is his to lose (not saying he can't lose it to Paetsch, just saying they may need to throw him a bone to retain his services and telling him that Paetsch has to beat him out may be enough to do it). If they don't, I'd consider going with Jillson as the #7 and bringing Paetsch up to fill in for any long term injuries.

I don't want Paetsch rotting in the press box in Buffalo, but don't think having Jillson sitting there would hurt his development much. I also think playing Jillson that rare game when somebody comes down with the flu on the morning of a game won't hurt the Sabres too much.

Although Rory has the physical skills to play in the new NHL, I just think plays happen too quickly in the new environment and he can't figure out what to do quick enough. Far too often he looked like a rookie trying to figure out what was going on rather than a guy whose rookie season was 10 years ago. I don't see the Sabres signing him, but somebody with a bad D will probably take a chance on him being better and cheaper than their other options as a #6.

Is it that far fetched for Paetsch turning out to be our #6? I thought he was an AHL All-Star before he got hurt?

I think giving Paetsch a chance to learn from Teppo and Lindy on a daily basis will do more for the Sabres in the long run then signing some one year band-aid.

The answers for this teams needs will come from within. They have some excellent prospects coming through the pipeline. In two to three years I think the Sabres roster will be filled with 85% of their own draft picks. While other teams panic looking for quick fixes and a big FA splash to sell tickets. The Sabres will be churning out NHLer's season after season.

If our defense corps end up looking something like this...

Tallinder-Lydman

Teppo-Kalinin

Campbell-Paetsch/Fitzpatrick/Janik/Jillson

I still have the same question I asked last week, where is the physical/toughness and shot blocking presence to replace McKee?

I still have the same question I asked last week, where is the physical/toughness and shot blocking presence to replace McKee?

Definitely an overlooked issue. I'm very concerned about our size on the blue-line now. I understand that it's the new NHL and the smaller d-men may be a better fit for the system, but I'm not sure we have someone than can do the little things McKee did so well (shot blocks, protect Miller, clear out the front, control the forecheck, etc.).

I think there are options out there though. If we can sign a bigger, top-4 defenseman we should be in great shape. Andreas Lilja would be a great fit imo, and he's unrestricted.

Definitely an overlooked issue. I'm very concerned about our size on the blue-line now. I understand that it's the new NHL and the smaller d-men may be a better fit for the system, but I'm not sure we have someone than can do the little things McKee did so well (shot blocks, protect Miller, clear out the front, control the forecheck, etc.).

I think there are options out there though. If we can sign a bigger, top-4 defenseman we should be in great shape. Andreas Lilja would be a great fit imo, and he's unrestricted.

Lilja is not a UFA. Per tsn.ca...

18-Apr-06: Signed by the Detroit Red Wings to a two-year contract extension.

I don't see the Sabres being done with the D.

I would really like to see Spacek brought in but doubt it will happen. (The fact he is still out there 3 days after July 1 gives me slight hope that he could get brought in, but I'm definitely not holding my breath.) If not Spacek, someone will be brought in before the season starts.

I could see the Sabres bringing back Janik if they tell him the #7 slot is his to lose (not saying he can't lose it to Paetsch, just saying they may need to throw him a bone to retain his services and telling him that Paetsch has to beat him out may be enough to do it). If they don't, I'd consider going with Jillson as the #7 and bringing Paetsch up to fill in for any long term injuries.

I don't want Paetsch rotting in the press box in Buffalo, but don't think having Jillson sitting there would hurt his development much. I also think playing Jillson that rare game when somebody comes down with the flu on the morning of a game won't hurt the Sabres too much.

Although Rory has the physical skills to play in the new NHL, I just think plays happen too quickly in the new environment and he can't figure out what to do quick enough. Far too often he looked like a rookie trying to figure out what was going on rather than a guy whose rookie season was 10 years ago. I don't see the Sabres signing him, but somebody with a bad D will probably take a chance on him being better and cheaper than their other options as a #6.

Had a chance to watch Spacek for a couple of years here in Columbus. He is a very good on the PP/PK, and wuold be a valuable addition to the backline. He should get alot of interest and will probably have his choice of a few teams.

Had a chance to watch Spacek for a couple of years here in Columbus. He is a very good on the PP/PK, and wuold be a valuable addition to the backline. He should get alot of interest and will probably have his choice of a few teams.

Well, now the rest of us get to watch him as well.

COOL!!!!

Well from the looks of it, the powerplay has just improved alot.

If only we could now find away to get other teams to take a tremndous amount of penalties against us.

Things are looking Brighter in Sabreland today.

Yeah, they may even be able to score a pp goal with only 3, count 'em 3, forwards on the ice at times.

If they do still want to go with 4 forwards, they now can spell Teppo a few minutes/game as Campbell and Spacek are both very capable pointmen.

Any chance of us landing Kenny Jonsson? According to ESPN he's been playing in Sweden but maybe we could lure him back to the NHL? He's a very solid player and won most valuable defenseman in the Olympics for gold-medal Sweden. Just a thought thats more unlikely than possible, but he did put up some decent stats when he was in the NHL...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/players/profile?statsId=1045

Archived