I'll never begrudge an athlete for taking the money and running

KansasPat

The shelf life of a professional athlete is so digustingly short in comparison with 99.9 percent of jobs in what we call the "real world" that it's insane for a player not to make the grab when he can. Who knows if he'll ever be in that situation again? Hopefully, most of you realize that this is a business and family decision first, with winning set aside. If you find that inexcusable, your pollyannishism is your problem.

Especially in the NHL, where free agency isn't just handed out to anyone. MLB has a farm system, but there's arbitration. Hockey has no such escalator for players to get paid what they're worth, and in any other major pro sport, McKee likely could've been gone several years ago.

Sure, I'd wish Jay had stayed. But not at $4 million. We would kiss goodbye to either Briere and/or Drury at first opportunity if that happened. And while the Blues sucked this year, it's still a first-rate organization under the new ownership and it's a great hockey town. In many years, this is the kind of signing that could put the Blues over the top in the West. I'm glad it's in the Western Conference so McKee can't hurt us too badly, if at all.

Best of luck, Jay. This Sabres fan will still be cheering for you.

FIrst rate organization with the Blues new ownership?

They've owned the team like 2 days. That hardly qualifies them as first rate.

As for an athlete's shelf life. well, in these next four years McKee is gonna make 16 mil.

At my current rate (keep in mind im in college)

It'd take me 170 years to earn that.

I, though, live very comfortably on my meager earnings.

I guess my point is 1.6 mil a year isn't something you scoff at. I realize 4 mil a year is way more than that. I REALIZE this. but it's not like his family is on the streets @ 1.6 mil a year.

It's his choice, stick with the team, or leave for the money. He chose leave for the money, do I blame him? no. Do I blame the Sabres? No.

I guess my point is 1.6 mil a year isn't something you scoff at. I realize 4 mil a year is way more than that. I REALIZE this. but it's not like his family is on the streets @ 1.6 mil a year.

and if your son comes down with Krabbes disease or something else? A rare eye, heart, liver disease, etc... that requires extraordinary care?

His career could end in the 1st game next season, you never know...

Good post Pat. I'm always amazed when people say professional athletes are overpaid. Another debate for another time though, so I'll shut up.

Right now, I'd rather praise Jay McKee. Back in 98 I think, when the Internet was really starting to get fired up, I happened upon a McKee fan site that some teenage girl had put together. In the innocence of those days, McKee's AOL email address was listed. So I wrote him, expecting no reply. But he did reply, and I think that simple act says a lot about the guy. I've had the fortune of stumbling upon Pat LaFontaine's email address, too. You know he answered!

Another reason to respect Jay: many have forgotten (I had before being reminded) that during the Sabres ownership crisis, when the NHL was running the franchise, the team had some trouble making payroll. Among the payments they couldn't make were bonus payments of over 100 thousand dollars to McKee and Curtis Brown. They could have applied for immediate unrestricted free agency because of the missed payment but did not. (At least I hope I have that story right. Dave B will probably know for sure.)

Good luck Jay and thanks for the memories, Rocks McKee!

Well it's all about the $$$ and i don't care what anyone ever says.

The one thing that many fans seems to forget is that hockey is a JOB. We look at players as hero's and all and talk about pride bla bla bla, but for the guy wearing the jersey this is his job. So if you can get over paid.... why not???

Good post Pat. I'm always amazed when people say professional athletes are overpaid. Another debate for another time though, so I'll shut up.

Right now, I'd rather praise Jay McKee. Back in 98 I think, when the Internet was really starting to get fired up, I happened upon a McKee fan site that some teenage girl had put together. In the innocence of those days, McKee's AOL email address was listed. So I wrote him, expecting no reply. But he did reply, and I think that simple act says a lot about the guy. I've had the fortune of stumbling upon Pat LaFontaine's email address, too. You know he answered!

Another reason to respect Jay: many have forgotten (I had before being reminded) that during the Sabres ownership crisis, when the NHL was running the franchise, the team had some trouble making payroll. Among the payments they couldn't make were bonus payments of over 100 thousand dollars to McKee and Curtis Brown. They could have applied for immediate unrestricted free agency because of the missed payment but did not. (At least I hope I have that story right. Dave B will probably know for sure.)

Mckee was making enough at that time he could have afforded something beyond AOL. Sounds like another story if you ask me :rolleyes:

what if he stayed and then did a backflip sommersault goal in game 7 overtime, killing a 5 on 3 with the butt of his stick.

don't insult me with what if's.

how is planning for the future and making sure you are as financially secure as possible "insulting"? I guess you don't carry disability, life, or health insurance?

no i don't.

if you're making 1.6 mil a year,

YOURE FINANCIALLY SECURE.

that is your opinion and it isn't necessarily shared by others. Certainly not by me and I doubt it is shared by Jay either.

no i don't.

if you're making 1.6 mil a year,

YOURE FINANCIALLY SECURE.

So if you were making 1.6 million a year at your current job, and when it was time for a raise they said they could only offer you 2-2.5 million for 3 years. Because you like your home and the company you tell them if you make it for 4 years I'll stay and they say sorry, we can only do it for 3. The next day another company calls you up and says they will give you 4 miiliion for the 4 years that you asked your current employer for and they would not give you, You wouldn't take the new job? Just because you could be financially secure at 1.6 million?

I don't blame McKee for leaving, 4 million for 4 years is overpaying for him, but you would be stupid not to take the deal, just because of sentimental reasons. People hear were saying McKee doesn't want the cup because he went to St. Louis who was one of the worst teams in the league last year instead of staying with a team that was in the ECF. What I see right now is one team that is content on making sure they stay profitable and another team that will spend to rebuild a team and make them better.

What I see right now is one team that is content on making sure they stay profitable and another team that will spend to rebuild a team and make them better.

Not everyone agrees with you:

So far, Blues' moves seem uninspired

McKee isn?t an all-star. He has little offensive ability and was plagued by injuries before the lockout allowed him to heal up.

He IS sound defensively, but $16 million seems like a rich investment at a position already featuring Barrett Jackman, Eric Brewer, Christian Backman, Dennis Wideman, Bryce Salvador, Matt Walker and No. 1 overall pick Erik Johnson.

CuBro and Jay were each owed $133k and Soupy was owed $25k in deferred signing bonuses.

I do believe that you are correct that any of the 3 could have filed for (and received) UFA status at that time.

Also, on a related subject, while I believe the "official" purchase price of the team was $92MM, I've seen several reports stating that the actual cash outlay was "only" slightly more than $50MM and comments from Golisano that he was actually out ~$70MM (in actual outlays and promisaries).

Archived